The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 31, 2005, 11:02 AM   #1
stephen426

So much for .22 LR not being deadly

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8028084/?GT1=6542

Why the hell do these type of things continue to happen? This is so sad and senseless. Why can't he just off himself instead of his whole family? Anti-Gun people are going to have a field day with this one.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2
mete

I'll bet that as the story develops that there have been signs of problems that everyone ignored .So often with these stories the "nice kid" is actually a "troubled youth" !!!
Old May 31, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Trip20

It's depressing.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Crosshair

Note to self.

1. Get handgun off layaway. (Have to wait until payday. )
2. Get CCW. (Easy in ND )
3. Test that +P 38 Special I got on clearance at the store.
4. Kill any ***hole that tries to kill me before he does.

/Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:48 PM   #5
luvtoshoot

Will that be enough ???

Crosshair according to this story you might want to make a note to yourself to NEVER fall asleep again either. And possible make sure you have no relatives.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Duxman

Lets be realistic here. This is not the atypical scenario of how people use their guns.

And the biggest point - if he wanted to do this and had no access to guns, he would have chopped / chainsawed / hacked or rat poisoned them. The method of death is not necessarily at fault here. Are they going to ban axes / chainsaws and rat poison?
Old May 31, 2005, 01:26 PM   #7
GTSteve03

Quote:
And the biggest point - if he wanted to do this and had no access to guns, he would have chopped / chainsawed / hacked or rat poisoned them. The method of death is not necessarily at fault here. Are they going to ban axes / chainsaws and rat poison?
Just playing devil's advocate here, but would he have been able to kill that many people without waking them up without having a gun? A 22LR isn't that loud, perhaps thats why he was able to get them while sleeping and not wake them. Chainsaws and knives are rather messy and I doubt you could sleep through that!
Old May 31, 2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Crosshair

luvtoshoot

The door to my room is VERY squeaky. I would at least be awake when they came in. Besides, they would have to break into the house first. Why can't kids just kill themselves and leave everyone else out of it.
Old May 31, 2005, 02:18 PM   #9
jonathon

Steve, a .22 is very loud inside....
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old May 31, 2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Duxman

Steve,

I agree with Jonathan - a .22 indoors is very loud. We do not know the exact cirumstances of this murder. And with a knife, it may be "messy" but very silent.

IF properly trained, someone could walk through the house, and either slit the persons throat (no screams), especially while they are asleep, or penetrate the base of the skull - instant kill. No noise.

With sufficient strength - someone can puncture the rib cage with a icepick rupturing the heart - would effectively kill a sleeping person - you would not even know it.

The most dangerous person is someone already in your house if they decide to go nuts and kill you. If you were dead asleep it would be as simple as putting a plastic bag over your face. And duck taping your hands. Carbon monoxide would take care of the rest.

The point is - there is no shortage of ways to kill human beings - guns are just tools to an end. Like almost every other household item.
Old May 31, 2005, 03:37 PM   #11
GTSteve03

Quote:
The most dangerous person is someone already in your house if they decide to go nuts and kill you. If you were dead asleep it would be as simple as putting a plastic bag over your face. And duck taping your hands. Carbon monoxide would take care of the rest.
Agreed, and him being family just made it that much more likely for no one to notice until it was too late.

It is a shame he had to go nuts with a gun, but I'm of the mindset that suicide is the cowards way out and it appears that he was too cowardly to want to deal with a messy bunch of murders so he took the easier route with a gun. You do have to admit that it's easier to point and shoot than stab or slit a throat on a sleeping person.

Sad story overall.
Old June 1, 2005, 12:40 AM   #12
chris in va

Quote:
And duck taping your hands. Carbon monoxide would take care of the rest.
That would be...carbon dioxide.

I don't get it though, wipe out your whole family?
Old June 1, 2005, 12:49 AM   #13
Crosshair

I guess he listened to the people who said that suicide is not the solution. To think about the family you will leave behind.

Unfortunatly he listened to them and thought about his family. Then decided to spare them the mourning.

WOW, I'm sounding creepy. Sometimes I scare even myself.
Old June 1, 2005, 11:22 AM   #14
luvtoshoot

Crosshair

I agree if your going to be coward enough to commit suicide then keep everyone else the hell out of it. And I hope you know I was just being sarcastic messin, not being Cocky.
Lol and on that note crosshair keep your WD 40 locked up…..and your gun oil.
Old June 1, 2005, 03:25 PM   #15
Crosshair

Don't worry luvtoshoot I have a good sense of humor. Though it would be cool not having to sleep. I could get a second job, spend more time at the range, use that extra money on ammo.
Old June 1, 2005, 04:12 PM   #16
payne

I just don't understand this. Of course I don't understand many things in this world.
Old June 2, 2005, 08:57 PM   #17
Dwight55

It just underscores one thing for sure, . . . you never really do know people. Lovingkindness can beget violence at any time, on any day, and may come from the most trusted source.

Rumors were going around for a while that he really was not the type person to do these murders, . . . someone else had to have done them, . . . but I don't think there was any evidence to support those statements. Our local tv station news has him down for the whole thing.

Right now they are awaiting his sister to get well enough to be able to maybe shed some light on what happened, if at all she knows anything. She was also shot and is still in critical condition at a local hospital.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old June 2, 2005, 11:22 PM   #18
longspurr

Thing like this are VERY bad but please keep them in perspective. This happens so rarely that it makes the news all over America. Vehicle accidents happen so frequently that they rarely get mentioned outside the local paper. You can have 6 people killed in a 2 or more vehicle accident and never make the regional or nation news. How many people in your state were killed in vehicle accidents over Memorial day?

Don't confuse "deadly" when used execution style with "effective" for self defense. The 22 is deadly - but not good to stop a violent person before they harm you.
Old June 5, 2005, 01:40 AM   #19
Lawyer Daggit

longspurr it is so rare it attracts media attention and invites copycats. I just wish the media would portray the perpetrators as the weak, pathetic loosers that they are to minimise the risk of copy cats.
Old June 6, 2005, 12:14 AM   #20
WeaponX

Hit's close to home....

It's an awful story to read about. I only live about 20-30 minutes away from Bellefontaine. It's a terrible thing what happened. It's a shame that the left wing will use this as a tool against firearm owners everywhere. Why can't they just look at the situation and feel sorry and sympathy for those who knew the family. I can't stand anti-gun liberals.