The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 28, 2005, 01:55 PM   #1
aaaBob

Would a change in grip make a difference?

Last month I bought a new gun.
One of the reasons I bought this gun was for the short grip,
I figured it would be easer to conceal.
It came with 2 magazines, one 6 round and one 7 round.
I carry with the 6 round magazine, which is flush with the bottom of the grip and use the 7 round, which extents below the grip, as my back up.

Practicing trains you to do something without having to think, a reaction. Like finding the clutch, your foot just goes there when you start to shift, you don’t have to think.

The 7 round magazine change the way the gun feels,
you get a full 3 finger grip instead of just 2.

In a for real situation, if you had to reload, would the change in grip
of the 7 round magazine make a difference?
Old June 28, 2005, 02:37 PM   #2
yorec

For self defense/action shooting an extended grip shouldn't matter all that much - you should be practicing enough with both the 6 round and the 7 to make it inconsequential. (I carry a 1911 with 8 rd mags for duty and 10 for reloads. Doesn't bother me and I appreciate if I get past the first mag I'll have thirty percent more at the ready next go round.)
Old June 28, 2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Arc Angel

I should think that any holster that pulls the grip in tight to your side would take care of any, 'patterning' problem you might have. I'll confess, however, that my everyday carry piece is a really large Glock Model G-21 that I like to carry IWB.

I, also, use a Walther PPK-S. I carry it with 2 extra magazines. To get around the problem you've described I put finger-groove extensions on all 3 Walther magazines. Anyway, by the second magazine something (or somebody) should already be bleeding - right!
Old June 28, 2005, 08:19 PM   #4
U.F.O.

aaaBob, I have the same carry scenario. Kahr PM9 with the flush, 6 round mag in a soft pocket holster carried weak-side front pocket. 7 round, extended mag for reload. Not a problem. Every time I go to the range I shoot the Kahr with both mags. With enough practice you can't tell the difference in the results. Using the 6 round mag in the pocket makes for a MUCH better non-printing fit with no snags on the draw. I can now seamlessly change from weak to strong hand on drawing without lost time. Why carry weakside? Where I sit at work my strongside pocket is visible to many people. Weakside is blocked by a file cabinet. Plan your carry, carry your plan. It works. Best.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~