The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2001, 08:45 AM   #1
Coop57

I had a set of Trijicons put on my Glock 17 about 1 year ago. After looking at new Glock with factory sights the other day, I noticed how bright the front sight were. In comparing the stock sights to the Trijicons I had noticed that the Trijicons were not very bright at all. They maybe great for night time but I am disappointed in their daytime preformance.
Old March 9, 2001, 01:52 PM   #2
Noah1234

MEPROLIGHTS!!!

Get yourself a set of Meprolights, those things are great! I got my set as per reccomendations from other people in this forum (thanks guys) and I love 'em. I've compared them to both PT and Trijicon sights and the Mepros are much more defined in low light conditions, and they are highly visible in daylight as well. Not only that, they are less expensive than either of the other brands!
Old March 9, 2001, 10:12 PM   #3
WalterGAII

I use both Meprolights and Trijicons. Neither should be "bright" in daylight. In daylight, you acquire a proper sight picture using the outline of the front and rear sights. The white rings are there for aesthetic purposes and for folks who don't know better.
Old March 10, 2001, 08:14 AM   #4
JohnO

I ordered my Kahr 40 with Trijicon's several years ago, but they had a white outline around the tritium inserts that could easily be seen during the day. I like this combo.
Old March 10, 2001, 10:32 AM   #5
sgoeing

I have always liked my night sights to be slightly dimmer than most like. I have a set of MMC adjustables (red rear green front) on my Glock 30 and feel like they are about perfect. I have seen some that are so bright they take away from your night vision.
Michael Goeing
Old March 10, 2001, 01:43 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

I think sgoeing touched on the problem Coop57 may not have considered. The common name for these is "night sights." You wanted some sort of day sights.
Old March 11, 2001, 03:22 AM   #7
IanS

See the Difference For Yourself

Both Trijicons and Meps are great for low light or dark conditions. I have both and they are both fine for those purposes. But from now on I prefer Meps to Trijicons because they are easier to see in broad daylight and in indoor ranges. Personally, I regret getting the Trijicons.
Old April 19, 2001, 07:30 PM   #8
twin Sigs

get the ones witht the white outline...
Old April 19, 2001, 08:17 PM   #9
slab jockey

use the trijicon sights for duty carry. visually good at night. don't think anything bright necessary for the day time. hopefully won't have to use the damn things day or night.
Old April 22, 2001, 09:08 PM   #10
MusHraeddur

i agree, the night sights should not need to be bright in daylight. the dots should only be used in low light visibility, otherwise you can have much better aming using the rear sight and front post..ignoring the dots all together. i tried to use just the dots in daylight, and my groups were considerably larger than when i use the actual sight posts. i would prefer sights that aren't bright in daylight so that they are less distracting...just my opinion though.