The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
tank1949

Led Sled Plus Usage

I'm getting old and my shoulders are screaming for relief every time I come back from the range. I don't shoot my 300 Win mag bolt gun much, but at 7 lbs + weight of scope, it constantly reminds me of how I am going to feel driving home. I also punish myself with an M1A and have fun with ARs. I was curious if anyone has seen group size improvement using the led sled plus to work up loads. I;m told that it eliminates the human error???? Some have pointed out that ARs and M1As will not fit due to mag length and hand grips. Is there a way around this? Are there any disatisfied shooters? Thx!!!
Old March 28, 2013, 07:16 AM   #2
jmr40

I've never owned one, but have used them a few times. They can be helpful if you reload and need to experiment with many different loads, especially with heavier recoiling rifles. They do eleminate all recoil and take human error out of the eqution when trying for group size. This way you truly know which of your loads is shooting the best.

I wouldn't own one though. I can shoot just as well without one. People who use them are not developing the skills needed to shoot well. You can't take a lead sled with you everywhere you shoot and I believe they encourage bad habits.

Since there is no "give" when shooting them a lot of strain in put on the rifles stock, especially right at the pistol grip. It is not unheard of to have a stock break while being fired in a lead sled.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
eldermike

I don't use them even though they are provided at the club. A proper rear bag filled with sand does a lot to negate punishment when shooting magnums.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #4
globemaster3

I own and use the original lead sled.

The only time I employ it is when sighting in or testing different loads in harder hitting cartridges. Most notably, my slug guns and .308 with metal but plate. Once I get them dialed in, I practice without the sled.

The lead sled solo is re-engineered to permit shooting rifles with magazines.

For what it's designed to do, it works good.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old March 28, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5
cvc944

I don't like sleds and can't shoot any better with one. My best friend loves them, but admits to not shooting any better with one. Sometimes when I shoot the big kickers my shoulder is sore after a day at the club, but I'm never in any pain driving home, so I'm lucky so far. I do like the new generation of recoil pads because they are amazing in their ability to keep you from being beaten black and blue and would recommend one to anyone looking to reduce felt recoil.