The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2000, 12:43 PM   #1
nwgunman

I'm experiencing problems with loading 45ACP Rainier bullets. About 1/3 of the rounds have a deformed bullet after being seated. I first tried the 200grJHP, and just now gave up on the 185FP. I'm loading on a Dillon 550B, Dillon dies, and yes, I am using the correct bullet seating stem for each nose configuration. And yeah, I opened up the "bell" on the case mouth a tad more...maybe not enough? But what's with that? By yanking open the case moth and then crimping it back tight again, you're overworking the brass. I've never had any problems like this with over a zillion other rounds, including regular hard-cast lead bullets, like from Bull-X or etc. Are the Rainier guys using pure lead under that thin copper plate? huh. But I see a lot of you guys talking about ok loads with Rainer...so what's up? Are you really belling out the case mouths? Thanks.
Old December 17, 2000, 01:02 PM   #2
sw627pc

I'm not sure with the Rainier, but most the plated bullets are pretty close to pure lead. A lot softer than the hard cast bullets.
Old December 17, 2000, 03:47 PM   #3
45Colt

Rainier Bullets

First, let me say that I load Rainiers in my 650 without a hitch. Have loaded 200 gr hp, 230 rn, and 200 swc. A while back I had a concern about belling and called Dillon. The guy I talked with said to bell the case only enough that the bullet won't fall out when you set it onto the case at the seating station. Works well.
BTW I had a tool head set up for .357sig that I began using again after 6 or 7 months on the shelf. On a whim I looked at the sizing die mouth and saw some lead residue. Then I looked at all the dies and found (much to my surprise and chagrin) lead and bullet lube residue in large quantities in the seating and crimping dies. Just a thought, but maybe a look into the dies may provide a clue. 45Colt
Old December 17, 2000, 05:07 PM   #4
WalterGAII

West Coast plated bullets are plated thicker than either Berry's or Rainier's. Rainier's are the thinnist. I use West Coast, exclusively, and their prices are usually less than Rainier.
Old December 18, 2000, 08:10 PM   #5
Bill Daniel

nwgunman:
I second the recommedation for West Coast Bullets. When I used National Bullet Companies copper washed bullets I also occasionally had deformed noses. The thicker copper plate seems to have cured that for me.

http://www.westcoastbullet.com

All the best,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old December 18, 2000, 08:58 PM   #6
Bob C

I've fired about 1000 rounds of NBC copperized, with no leading, and with good accuracy. Velocities have ranged from 850 to 1300 fps. I'm very pleased with these bullets, particularly the .452 230 grain flat point for .45 acp's.
Old December 18, 2000, 11:16 PM   #7
Ron Ankeny

I just posted over on the 1911 forum about problems I am having with Rainier bullets. Gas keeps blowing back around the case. Very frustrating...
Old December 19, 2000, 06:40 AM   #8
45King

I've been using Rainiers in RN, FP, HP, and SWC configurations in .45ACP, .45 Colt, .38 Sp. & .357 Mag. for the last 5 years, and have had none of the problems described. I'm loading on a Dillon 550. My "bell" for the ACP is just enough to hold the bullet in place, but I do use a bit larger bell on the .45 Colt, .38 & .357.

Freedom is a consequence of the exercising of rights.