The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 7, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1
ilbob

Guess who filed an amicus brief favorable to the 2A being incorporated?

A quote from the brief to help you.

Quote:
THESE PETITIONS SHOULD BE GRANTED TO AFFIRM THE APPLICABILITY OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT TO THE STATE
Perhaps a hint. The AG in question once dated Linda Rondstadt.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=200613

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
ZeSpectre

Outstanding.
Can you just imagine the ripples from this one?
Old July 7, 2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, I know it wasn't Virginia's AG.

Gutless wonder isn't anywhere to be found on the gun issue right now.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
azredhawk44

The guy sure equivocates on the issue though.

Talks up "rights" on one hand while giving a great big attaboy to CA supposed common-sense laws on the other hand... even had the audacity to mention the safe gun list that is eerily similar to the DC approved list.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Jerry brown!!!!

I thought he was agin us, not fer us. What gives?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 7, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6
CowTowner

As California Ex-Patriot, I am amazed and pleasantly surprised at the same time.
Perhaps he slipped getting out of his hot tub and.............
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 7, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Doc Intrepid

"Gov. Moonbeam" has no intention of supporting widespread applicability of SA rights in California.

As someone else mentioned, establishing the fact that the State recognizes SA rights for U.S. citizens says nothing about further efforts by the State to curb citizen's rights to select any firearm they wish.

The State goes on to petition the courts to recognize the State's interest in selecting which firearms the State feels are appropriate (read "safe").

Once that right has been recognized in the courts, the State is then positioned to continue to refine the definition of "safe" using more and more onerous definitions [e.g. "magnetic rings" or "biometric sensors" so only the owner of the gun can fire the gun, taggants in propellents so that only the owner of the gun can (legally) be able to fire the weapon (...if taggants are found at the scene of a crime, guess what happens to the owner's gun rights?); State-supervised sale of ammunition in the same way that State liquor laws are currently enforced, etc.] The State of California will indeed ensure that your SA rights are observed - but only within what the State deems to be "safe"...

Anyone who might for a second feel that Jerry and the State of California have your best interests at heart should take a minute and reflect on what they may have in mind for five to ten years after this sort of legislation is granted by the courts and then passed.

When it comes to California and gun laws, celebration is premature...
Old July 7, 2009, 10:42 AM   #8
ilbob

To me the tone of the thing is "You are going to incorporate, so go ahead and get it over with. Then we can get to figuring out how much of our 2A infringing laws we can salvage".

I don't think he is "on our side", but it does not hurt us that he is asking that the 2A be incorporated. That is what we want after all.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
azredhawk44

Frankly, I think the anti-gunners are adopting the same strategy that the NRA did in the 80's and 90's.

They see the tide is against them so they are moderately capitulating in an effort to try and mitigate some of the damage they see coming down the road to their paradigm.

The problem with this... is that tactic will work just fine for them, but not for us. Every stinking time case law is established with regards to 2A issues, it either creates constraints on our rights or it is so narrowly applied that it cannot be applicable to another situation.

He's hoping that his Amicus is somehow taken into account in the dicta of the SCOTUS ruling, so that even when his side loses ground in the case law, they still have SCOTUS dicta to use in the future for other "pressing needs of the state."
Old July 7, 2009, 11:16 AM   #10
green-grizzly

Moonbeam's brief
Brief of 32 other states

Mike Irwin: It looks like VA did join the other states in the amicus brief.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wow! Thanks, Griz. I'm absolutely shocked that he went out on a limb. He's been kind of absent on the subject lately.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:18 PM   #12
LouPran

What a surprise that Wisconsin is absent.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:02 PM   #13
legaleagle_45

The Cato Institute also filed an amicus brief, which I have attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IJ-Cato_Amicus_for_Cert[1].pdf (125.0 KB, 36 views)
Old July 7, 2009, 02:19 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

that old out dated 2A? We don't need that in our modern CIVILIZED society. Why we have police officers and a civilian military to protect us. It isn't like some raiding party of savages is going to knock down your door or something. Lets just rewrite the whole thing.
How do you like this "A citizens right to install and upkeep an ADT alarm system and to pay Federal income taxes which will provide for a standing army that will in turn provide for the common defense." An optional additional statement "Localities may charge $1000 for each response resulting from the activation of said alarm system."

They are just regrouping and picking a new angle to attack from. The last year has seen some pretty big victories for our side, and I think they are shocked and just trying to get out of the way of the momentum.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Doc Intrepid

legaleagle 45,

Thank you for posting the link to the Cato Institute's Amicus Brief. It is fascinating.

Doc
Old July 7, 2009, 07:24 PM   #16
rampage841512

I've been reading the brief filed by the 32 states. I like the reasoning, and I hope it has an impact. I'm going to have to read the Cato Institute brief next.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:10 PM   #17
rampage841512

Just finished reading the Cato Institute brief, and I have to admit I like what they are saying. It is correct that that the Court is presented with a very good opportunity to revisit and correct mistakes made in regards to the Privileges and Immunities Clause.

If the Court chooses to incorporate, it has two routes by which to do it. One is easy, via the Due Process Clause. The other isn't so easy. Incorporation via the Privileges and Immunities Clause, while in my opinion is the most correct course of action, may very well be a can of worms the justices will decline to open.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:02 PM   #18
legaleagle_45

Quote:
If the Court chooses to incorporate, it has two routes by which to do it. One is easy, via the Due Process Clause. The other isn't so easy. Incorporation via the Privileges and Immunities Clause, while in my opinion is the most correct course of action, may very well be a can of worms the justices will decline to open.
Incorporation is tricky. Under standard due process selective incorporation, it is a slam dunk. The problem is some of the justices are not enamoured with selective incorporation... and those justices were crucial in the 5-4 Heller vote (Scalia, to name one). However, these justices might be inclined to adopt a P&I argument. I would not be the least surprised to see the second incorporated via a plurality opinion using due process and a concurrance using P&I.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:55 PM   #19
stevelyn

Alaska's newly appointed AG signed on.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:04 AM   #20
green-grizzly

GOA brief

I am relieved the GOA did not support Chicago, just to spite the NRA.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:34 AM   #21
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I am relieved the GOA did not support Chicago, just to spite the NRA.
What is that about?
Old July 8, 2009, 12:57 AM   #22
ftd

I'm no lawyer, but....

Could someone please explain why the 14th amendment is even needed to uphold the right inumerated by the 2nd amendment, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.", to the states?

The 1st amendment only specifically states that "Congress shall make no law respecting ... , or prohibiting the... , or abridging the..... , or the right of the.... , and to petition the Government for....". I understand the need for the 14th here because 1A only prohibits congressional action (although the court has allowed congress, in many ways, to do what is prohibited by the 1st amendment.

Not so with 2A. 2A does not limit to only federal authority but instead gauantees that a "right of the people.. shall not be infringed". It is the right of the people and not a whim of the government. You can argue about the exact meaning of the front part of 2A, but how many ways can you read "shall not be infringed"?

The same thing, "right of the people...", holds true for 4A, 5A, and 6A. 8A also does not limit to only the Federal government, but does not state "right of the people...."

3A has the "but in a manner to be prescribed by law" out and 7A has a similar " than according to the rules of the common law" out. But neither of these give any out to any specific government entity.

So, as far as the first 8 amends go, only 1A should need the 14th to compel state compliance.

I realize that I am ignorant and naive. What am I missing?
Old July 8, 2009, 01:46 AM   #23
B. Lahey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMptzRVjw0
Old July 8, 2009, 07:35 AM   #24
rampage841512

Until the passage of the 14th Amendment the Bill of Rights was considered only to limit federal power. Over the last hundred years or so the court has used that amendments due process clause to make most of the bill of rights apply to state and local government as well.

That's it briefly. Best I can do from an iPhone. I suggest taking a closer look at the history of incorporation.
Old July 8, 2009, 08:30 AM   #25
johnwilliamson062

Not just the bill of rights, but the entire constitution was limited to the "federal government." It was probably not intended by the framers to pertain to the states. One of the few times Federal power was increased and I think we can all agree it was a good thing. Many many states have their own BOR modeled after the US BOR and some are even broader the the US Constitutions.