The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 20, 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
atlctyslkr

Good Scare

I know how much some people on here love to poke fun so here's a chance to poke some at my expense.

I'm sitting at home working in my office playing some Van Halen really loud. (It helps me think!). I'm singing along working on a report and printing a bunch of junk out. Well you get the picture ...

I turn around in my chair and my wife is standing there at the door and says "Is this what you call working from home". We had a good laugh but it could have been someone else and I would have been so screwed.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Old March 20, 2006, 04:00 PM   #2
rapidarp

Similar, yes. This was about 2 yrs ago. I'm a big fan of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal and one night I was in my garage playing a Slipknot ablum sorta loud and I was cleaning my Glock 22. I was finished cleaning the weapon and I was putting all the cleaning tools back in the case. I walked over to the cabinet where my dad kept the cleaning kit at and I put it away. As I turned around, my brother was standing there with my airsoft pistol and fired a BB right at my chest.

Scared the crap outa me because I never heard him come into the garage (everyone lets the door slam). I also figured, "Crap, I'm getting shot and my gun is all disassembled on the work bench."

It this were the real deal, i'd be toast. ....I've since learned to keep the music down a bit. I also absolutely refuse to sit/work where my back faces the door.
Old March 20, 2006, 07:32 PM   #3
HangFire83

About a week ago, I took a buddy to the range with me and he decided to stick around for a while after we had returned. I was in the spare bedroom/office cleaning my taurus and he found an old pistol BB gun along with a few darts. I had my back to the door and, as I normally do when I am cleaning my guns, had some soothing music playing on the computer. I saw his reflection in the computer monitor and decided to play along. I let him get with a few feet and sprung out of the chair, knocked the gun out his hand and put my disassembled frame at his chest. You should have seen the look on his face. Needless to say, he doesn't try to creep up on me anymore. Had I not seen his reflection I would have been toast. Those darts, while made of plastic, still leave a nice momento after being stung with one.

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 21, 2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Dwight55

Many years ago, . . . in college, . . . came home after midterms one night, . . . and it was late.

Door to the house was hard to open without making a huge racket, . . . but I fairly managed it, . . . started up the carpeted stairs to our bedroom. Got about half way up and slipped, . . . falling back down about 6 steps.

Figured, what the heck, . . . just tromped up the stairs and turned on the light at the top. I looked over at the bed where my wife sat crosslegged, . . . with MY Colt .38 revolver, . . . and she basically said, "It's just a good thing that it was you."

NEVER tried sneaking in after that, . . . just came in the house and didn't worry about the noise. Still do it that way too.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 21, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5
PATH

My wife snuck up on me one evening outside as I was taking out the trash and grabbed my arm. She got a little upset when she ended up on the ground. I was about to throw a shot to the throat when I realized who it was. The wife and I had a very nice talk about it after she stopped shaking. I explained that surprising a large man in the dark might lead to ones getting hurt. The wife agreed and that was that.

The wife also knows to make a loud noise to wake me and not start shaking me. I have a habit of jumping up at people who put a hand on me as I sleep. I guess old habits truly are the hardest to break. The wife calls it being hyper vigilant. I call it staying alive.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old March 21, 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
WillBrayjr

Hyper Vigilance is a mental illness, usually brought on by PTSD. I've been dignosed with both.
Old March 21, 2006, 05:53 PM   #7
springmom

weeeellllll

....actually, hypervigilance is a symptom of PTSD. Not to be picky, but there it is. PTSD is the "mental illness".

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old March 21, 2006, 06:11 PM   #8
atlctyslkr

I can't help but wonder if this would have gone any different if I had been listening to Kenny G.
Old March 22, 2006, 12:14 PM   #9
PATH

Probably!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old March 23, 2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Hardtarget

I've stopped sneaking up on people...almost scared my wife to death one evening. I also keep muisc low when alone. Doors stay locked and I try to work positioned so I can see anyone approaching. The exception is my loading bench. The plus there is BG would walk completely through my house. Hard to sneak on creakey hardwood floors. The thing is...I know bad stuff happens and I can't be that watchful ALL the time.
Mark.
Old March 23, 2006, 02:03 AM   #11
Yoshi

30-35 years ago , early in the morning i was woke by noises from someone trying to pry open my bed room window, they got the screen out , reached in and slowly turned the crank and got the window open far enough to climb in.
Then came the hands on the sill , then the shoulders came , then they pulled themselves up turned and butt first sat in the window with their legs hangings outside.
During all this i had slowly rolled off the bad, got my colt revolver and waited for the bugler.
So the feet hanging out, butt on the sill and back facing inside the room , i stood up , put the barrel in the back of their neck and said something like "whatca doin , or ablo sam colt, i really don't remember exactly what i said. Now heres the scary part, it was my long time girlfriend . She went out for a drink with her boss , he drugged her and tried to " have his way" with her , but she got away and walked or ran the 4 or so miles from her work to the house.
she was drunk as a skunk and upset and said she came to me to console her.
it worked out OK (she spent the night)
The pistol was loaded , it was single action and i did not have the hammer back and cocked
It still scares me because of what could have happened.
We never got married though , turned out she had been screwing her boss the whole time LOL
30 some years and some things just wont let you forget them.
ah its ok tho, she's not really that hot anymore anyway