The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2006, 07:57 PM   #1
MLB44MAG

IMR Trail Boss

Hi

Just thought I would write a little bit about the new powder from IMR (Trail Boss). First things first the powder does not seem to meter to well im my RCBS uniflow. I suspect because of its donut like shape , On the hand I am very pleased on how well this new powder perfoms and its worth all the effort to measure each charge using a powder trickler. I have loaded and shot 4 different loads for my S&W 629 4".........

1. 6.3 gr. of T.B. under a 180 Gr OrganTrail FP for a velocity of about 900 fps. This Load shot so well that it will replace all of my light Tight group loads from now on Very light plinkin load and very accurate that will serve as a training load for my son to learn how to shoot a revolver.
2. 7.8 gr of T.B. under a 180 O.T. FP for a velocity of about 1050 fps. this load shot well.
3. 6.0 gr. of T.B. under an O.T. 240 lswc for a velocity of about 820 fps.
This load shot well
4. 7.3 gr. of T.B. under an O.T. 240 lswc for a velocity of about 900 fps. shot so well It gave me 2 inch groups at 25 yds out of my 4" bbl 629 and will be the only 240 lswc I shoot from now on.

Cases are starline trimmed to 1.275 and bullet seating so that the crimp is in the canalure. Data used for these loads came off the IMR Powders website.

Just thought Id share, I havent seen to much talk about Trail Boss yet.

Matt
Old January 18, 2006, 07:11 AM   #2
caz223

Yeah, I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard so much good about it in .38 spl, .45 colt, and big cases like that, it's gonna be my powder for lead bullets in big cases.
Old January 18, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3
ricehombre

I had some trouble getting the uniflow with the pistol drum to dump the complete charge. Found that three bumps on the handle loading the charge and at least two bumps dumping the charge(because they like to hang up) provided accurate measures. Don't recall the exact charge, but the upper end of the recommended rates for 45 colt looked pretty tight on paper with 200 gr LRN. Still working on the right load for 250 gr LRN. Does anyone know where it fits in the burn rate charts?
Old January 19, 2006, 07:37 AM   #4
caz223

I don't know, but would assume it's very similar in burn rate to titegroup.
Maybe even a touch faster.
Not sure, though.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've had a bottle of it for a couple of months now, but haven't had a chance to load anything.

The last time I went to load some .44 Spl., I ended up rushing my dog to the vet for emergency surgery instead.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:11 PM   #6
mtnbkr

Mike,

Next time you're over, bring the powder and we'll load up a dozen or so test rounds for the 38special.

Chris
Old January 19, 2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

Rice, if you are having trouble getting the Uniflow to drop the full charge, you either have the wrong funnel (nozzle?) installed or you have a bit of spider silk up in the funnel.

I had the spider problem once and it like to drove me nuts before I found it.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Chris,

Now that I'm finally gaining control of my house again, I'm going to load up some .44 Spl., which is the sole reason that I decided to try Trail Boss in the first place.

I've really no interest in loading it in any other caliber.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 20, 2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Peter M. Eick

I have been playing with trail boss a lot. Great powder for 38 special and 357 mag. In 38 special the max load by the books is 4.2 grns (check that please, this is from memory!) and that is really mild. Midrange 38 special power level. In 357 mag, the same max charge with a magnum cap (check the manuals for details) is very mild. I boosted the max load by a few grains for more of a 38/44 level of power aiming for around 900/1000 fps with a 158 grn slug. They work great!

The key things I note on Trailboss:
1) meters great
2) very clean burning
3) easily fills 1/2 to 3/4 of a 38/357 case
4) accurate!
Old January 22, 2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Swede

I've used it in a 7.62 Nagant and .45-70. So far it's worked great with lead bullets.
Old January 22, 2006, 09:34 PM   #11
MLB44MAG

I went out and shot another 350 rounds of the 180 fp over 6.3 gr of Trail Boss at some pesky jack rabbits yesterday, I dont think it gets any better when ya come home and it only takes 30 mins of cleaning to have that pistol shinin like new Awsome stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If any finds out were it sits on the burn rate chart let me know it would be kina interesting to find out...

Matt
S&W 629
Old January 30, 2006, 03:45 PM   #12
Nine Toed Omar

I use Trail Boss in my .45's - a 4 5/8 inchRuger New Vaquero and a Winchester Trapper. All I can say is that it has replaced my previous walkin' around loads completely. I load 6.0 grains of it under a 255 grain Hornady Swaged .454 RNFP (This load is 0.2 grains OVER the IMR stated MAXIMUM LOAD. This is safe in my Ruger but you mileage may vary.), and simply let fly at whatever needs shootin'. Accurate, mild on the hand, easy to clean, and no leading so far. Even with those really soft swaged bullets. Hornady must have got that lube just right.

That reminds me, I need to get more...