The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 28, 2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Gbro

.410/36ga.?

What was the original length of the .410?

I have a Ranger sxs, made by savage, sold by sears that dosn't like the 2 1/2 inch shell. The gun only has .410, ranger, and patented 1911? stamped on the gun. The fired shell sticks in the chamber and there is a taper to the end of the empty hull.

Little HX.
This gun is from my youth, and we would buy any .410 shell on the store shelf. The 3" shells didn't fit so very good. So over the knee whent the gun with just the right pressure(about as hard as i could pull) the action would lock shut. seemed the gun would kick like a 12ga.
Gbro
Old March 1, 2005, 09:16 AM   #2
johnbt

I'm betting on 2 inches. From what I've been told, the supply of 2-inch .410 shells dried up before WWII.

John
Old March 1, 2005, 07:57 PM   #3
HunterTRW

In The Shotgun Book the late author Jack O'Connor had this to say, in part, concerning the .410:

"The .410 is about a 67 gauge."

"The .410 (which is properly a caliber, not a gauge) evolved in this country from cartridges like the .44XL, which were shot shells in rifle cases and used to pot small game when shot from rifles and from the old Marble game getter."

He elaborates:

"The .410 is a direct descendant of the .44/40 rifle cartridge. At first the standard .44/40 case was used, bottle neck and all, and the shot was in a paper container. Then 2-inch straight brass cases were used, then 2-inch paper cases, then 2.5-inch cases. At one time the shell was known as the .44XL. It was loaded with 3/8, then 1/2 ounce of shot in the 2.5-inch cases. Then in the early 1930s Winchester-Western pioneered the 3-inch .410 shell with 3/4 ounce of shot and brought out the Model 42 Wichester pump shotgun for it."

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old March 1, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4
lten1063

Special Reloads

I seen the other day on http://www.content.overture.com/d/home/
I seen where there was a web site that doe's special reloads/manufactor of antique and obsolet ammo. I didn't open it up because all the firearms I have you can still buy off the self.

In the search area you might type in the words Antique and Obsolet Ammo. If you don't get any hits then play with the words untill you do. You might even try Ammunition Maker/s. If you need help please contact me.

Best of luck to you and be safe. Just remember if you cant get the exact ammo for it and you try other types of ammo the gun can blow up on you. If you cant shoot it, who cares because when Sears sells something and is still around can be worth many $'s.
Old March 2, 2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Gbro

Great feedback, Thank for the replys.

Gbro
Old March 3, 2005, 07:15 PM   #6
lten1063

Obsolet Ammo

Just in case you haven't had the time or no luck on your search here is the web site for Obsolet ammo. http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/obsolete_ammo.htm
I will also post in the forums as well for others to see.

Joe
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT EASY, JUST TAKE IT SLEASY . ENJOY LIFE BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE AT IT . IT'S BETTER TO BE PISSED OFF THAN PISSED ON UNLESS YOUR INTO WATER SPORTS SLOW DOWN UNLESS YOUR GOING TO MISS YOUR AMBULANCE OR BE LATE FOR YOUR EMERGANCY ROOM APPOINTMENT OR IN A HURRY FOR YOUR FUNERAL