The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 3, 2002, 09:01 AM   #1
V.A. Cop

Auto Ordnance/Kahr 1911

Just wanted to let some folks know about my on going experience. Had my dealer order me one of the "New" Kahr/Auto ordnance WWII 1911A1's that all the Gun Mags have raved about. Gun arrived at dealers, went to dealers to pick it up, we opened the box and the front sight was missing. Looked all over the inside of the box and there was no front sight. It would appear that the gun left the factory with no front sight (so much for quality control). My dealer sent the gun to Kahr for repair on December 5th, Kahr received it on December 6th. Today is January 3rd and the gun has still not come back. Now I am no gunsmith but I would think that staking on a front sight is no more than a 10 or 15 minute job, not a 30 day job. I am very disappointed with Kahr arms and will be calling them today to complain. I once had a Kimber Gold Match that the sear went bad in and I sent it to Kimber on a Monday for repair and I had the gun back two days later on Wednsday fixed. So be fore warned before buying one of these "Greatly Improved" Kahr 1911's. I will keep you all posted on the progress of this mess.
Thanks, Mike.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:22 AM   #2
Alnamvet

Kahr=Ca Ca

Want quality????... Try something different....lesser known brands such as Colt or Springfield maybe...not well known, but you'll never be missing a sight right out of the box.
Old January 8, 2002, 12:34 AM   #3
V.A. Cop

Update. Called Kahr today and found out that after over a month of having my gun, they still have not repaired it yet. The guy in the Customer Service department told me that they were just getting around to fixing guns that came in on Dec 3rd. He also related that the front sights sometimes fall off when they test fire the gun before shipping and this is what must have happened and the test firing guy must have just put it in the box to ship. Still mad and still waiting.
Old January 8, 2002, 10:16 PM   #4
Waterdog

They need to be advised as to how to triage repairs.

Small easy repairs 1st!

Waterdog
Old January 31, 2002, 09:17 AM   #5
V.A. Cop

Update: received the gun back yesterday, January 30th. It took 7 weeks to get it back. The shop invoice said the total shop time was .5 hour (30 minutes). Unbelievable. Anyway, I stripped the gun to clean it and found that the recoil spring was installed backwards and the firing pin spring was installed backwards. I cleaned the gun and then decided to run a mag of dummy rounds through it to see if it would feed and eject. After three rounds the magazine fell out. I tried this with 5 different magazines and they all fall out after about 3 or 4 slide cycles. Needless to say I am so mad I can't see straight. Now I don't know whether to have it repair locally and pay for it or send it back to Kahr again and wait who knows how long to get it back. I called Kahr and they said that it just needs to have the magazine catch assembly replaced and that they would mail a new one out to me right away. They were very appoligetic, but I am still very upset. I was just getting ready to buy a Kahr K9 to carry as an off duty weapon but now I am scared to.
Old February 3, 2002, 08:31 PM   #6
Multi-G

I can not help you on your 1911 delima. I can and will however tell you of the wonderfull service I have received from Kahr.

I have a K-9 that suffered a broken slide stop after about 8,000 rounds. I E-Mailed Kahr and they sent me a new one free of charge. I had it in my hand less than 5 days after the part broke.
Old February 4, 2002, 08:41 AM   #7
Monty Grubbs

Hold Off On Judging Kahr

I think I might hold off on cutting Kahr's throat. I have seen and shot the Kahr pistols. They are of much better quality than their 1911 product. Get with someone else who owns a Kahr and shoot theirs. I bet they will be willing to discuss the good/bad of Kahr also
Old February 14, 2002, 12:42 PM   #8
V.A. Cop

I should have posted this earlier, Kahr sent the replacement mag catch the next day. I still was not satisfied with this gun so my dealer replaced it with a new one. The new one is the one I had for sale in the for sale area. One of my friends here in town bought it. I am posting this because I have been getting some flack from other members about trying to sell a troubled weapon. That was not the case, but it is my fault for not posting this earlier. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Thanks, Mike.