The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 14, 2012, 09:37 PM   #126
MLeake

True, but quick releases work from the inside.

I am only guessing, but I suspect the big three entry points are garage, basement, or else unlocked doors.

Then again, the one time I was burglarized, they kicked in a locked back door that faced a tree line.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:11 AM   #127
shooter_john

I haven't read all six pages, but I'll throw in m .02.
Once you "flip the switch" you have done several things:
1. Given up the advantage of surprise, with the exception of the split second where the actual light comes on.
2. You have most likely illuminated yourself to some extent
3. You have given away your approximate if not exact position... Light switch placement is pretty standard everywhere you go. If the bad guy wants to get you, now he just shoots at or near the doorway.
4. Unless you're going to stand at the light switch and work it like a 5 year old, you have completely given up control of when there is light and when there is not.

Granted, 1-3 also apply to using a flashlight, but #4 is the game changer. As a LEO and low light instructor, we teach our guys to use their lights as little as possible while searching for a suspect. When they are used, it is light on 2-3 seconds, light off, MOVE technique (Same concept as "I'm up, they see me, I'm down" bounding movements for those with military experience). In one's own home, a light really shouldn't be necessary at all until the intruder is verified and you've completely got the drop on them. I won't be giving up ANY of my weapon mounted or hand held lights any time soon.

And fiddletown has brought up the best tactic for dealing with an intruder... Let them come to you. Then hit them in the face with a tactical light and proceed with whatever course of action is necessary.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:48 AM   #128
Mike1234

For a long time now I've thought of mounting highly directional ultra-bright LED lights on the opposing walls of every possible entryway... or from the ceiling if the wall is distant. Once the door or window is messed with that particular light is automatically activated glaring brightly and into the intruder's eyes... not into mine. A weapon light or handheld light would then just be a backup. A video camera could be activated at the same time sending wireless video to a well-hidden digital recorder.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:58 AM   #129
Pond, James Pond

I've read these all, and it seems that neither solution is ideal.

I may start practising my shooting one handed, holding my nightvision monocular to my dominant eye!
I bought it initial to nature watch at night when camping but I may as well practice with it for HD too: sounds like the best no-light option to me!!!

If nothing else, my point shooting will get really good!!
Old January 21, 2012, 02:08 AM   #130
shooter_john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
I've read these all, and it seems that neither solution is ideal.

I may start practising my shooting one handed, holding my nightvision monocular to my dominant eye!
I bought it initial to nature watch at night when camping but I may as well practice with it for HD too: sounds like the best no-light option to me!!!

If nothing else, my point shooting will get really good!!
If this is a serious post, I must ask... Have you ever tried to walk and negotiate obstacles with night vision? Particularly a monocular?
Old January 21, 2012, 02:49 AM   #131
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If this is a serious post, I must ask... Have you ever tried to walk and negotiate obstacles with night vision? Particularly a monocular?
'
It was semi serious.

Yes, I have tried and yes it is difficult, but my home is essentially comprised of two straight corridors, quite open plan, one on top of the other and, being my home, I know where the obstacles are.

I don't really believe that I would use this method, but I do think I might use the momcular to get a lie of the land.

All this is quite hypothetical for me as I don't think any HD situation would involve someone already in the home, unless they got in while we were out.

I see no harm in practising once in a while to see how such shooting might feel...
Old January 21, 2012, 07:21 AM   #132
Mike1234

I have small night lights strategically place in all areas of my home. These are energy efficient LED units with light sensors that turn off when sunlight filters through the window shades. At midnight I can see well enough to recognize a threat. I still want to install some directional break-in-activated lights that will blind a threat so I'll always have the advantage. Again though... I'll have a weapon light as a back-up.
Old January 21, 2012, 10:16 AM   #133
Glenn Dee

I have night lights pretty much in every room... just enough to see furniture, appliances, the odd toy left out, and anyone who shouldnt be there. My reason for the night lights is mainly that I have teenagers. Teenagers do stupid things, at stupid times. Like sneak in and out... at odd times. This is my soloution to the possibility of accidentally shooting the wrong person.

Nothing big... just 6 watt plug in night lights.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:42 PM   #134
bikerbill

If forced to clear your house, seems to me you have the advantage in the dark, since you should know your home's layout far better than the BG ... in that case, a flashlight gives you the ability both to use brief flashes of light to locate said miscreant and a. blind him and/or b. shoot him. Preferable of course is holing up somewhere you can defend and calling the cavalry, but that isn't always possible.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:48 PM   #135
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill View Post
If forced to clear your house, seems to me you have the advantage in the dark, since you should know your home's layout far better than the BG ...
I don't see why you think that gives you an advantage. To ambush you, all the BG needs to know is that you're coming and from where. The latter is easy because rooms have only a limited number of ways in; and they're obvious, unless your home has secret passages.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:20 PM   #136
Mike1234

bikerbill and fiddletown I think the poster you're refering to is assuming a BG who doesn't know his home... which is a SERIOUS MISTAKE.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:39 PM   #137
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
bikerbill and fiddletown I think the poster you're refering to is assuming a BG who doesn't know his home... which is a SERIOUS MISTAKE.
For my part, no. My point is that it doesn't matter. Even if the BG doesn't know the layout of the house, he still has the advantage. You may know your own house; but even if the BG doesn't, it still doesn't tip the scales in your favor.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:45 PM   #138
Nitesites

Try playing "hide and seek" with your kids during the evening/& low light and determine who sees who first. Family time as a bonus?
Old January 21, 2012, 06:54 PM   #139
Elkins45

Quote:
Massad Ayoob gives a lecture on this topic. He has his place rigged, and recommends that others rig their places, so that he has a master lighting panel in the bedroom.
In most places you would have to hire a licensed electrician to do this sort of stuff in compliance to code, and that isn't cheap. Might end up being cheaper just to rent a dozer and dig your own moat.

I'm not engaging in house clearing. No way, no how. There's nothing in my house that's worth taking a bullet for and the valuable stuff is bolted down inside a 1100 pound steel box anyway.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; January 21, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: To remove inappropriate, insulting comments
Old January 22, 2012, 12:33 AM   #140
Mike1234

fiddletown... I agree and what I meant was that any BG might be someone who is already familiar with our residence. Many crimes are committed by those we know and by whom we may be close to... sad, scary, and painful as that may be.
Old January 22, 2012, 02:49 PM   #141
Nitesites

While I believe the safest course of action for all is to post up, call 911, and defend from a single point if there were an intruder or intruders in your residence, I also understand circumstances may present themselves and this may not be an option e.g., someone is hurt or being attacked, family in other rooms, etc...

For the folks with dogs, try going through your house with one at your side. It's fun to play and the dogs love it. Mine does anyway. It's fun giving the command to go into a room or upstairs and watch him actually do it then follow him through.
Old January 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #142
devans0

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the advantage for point-aim. On the home defense shotgun, center of illumination is point of impact and with one particular buckshot load that spreads very wide, the spread IS the bright spot. On our handguns, the bright spot is point of impact.

Last edited by devans0; January 23, 2012 at 02:14 PM.