The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 6, 2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

"longer" range old single shot with tang sights..am I too old or need bigger a target

shot my new to me custom rolling block in 40-65 about 30 rounds yesterday... dialed in the Vernier tang sight ( this is my 1st sight of this type )... started at 25 yards, & got it on the dot... moved out to 50 yards, made the corrections needed... then out to 75 yards, then 100 yards... I think I could honestly shoot pretty accurately at this distance, but then moved out to 150 yards... made the adjustments & could put all my shots into my 10" scoring ring on my standard targets ( my standard targets are 14" X 18" yellow heavy card stock with graduated circles from 1" to 10"... I blackened the 4" center circle for shooting this rifle ) I need glasses for seeing long distances, & I wore them while shooting yesterday... I'm just wondering how I make the transition from 150 yards to 200, 250 & 300 yards, when I can barely see the 150 yard target...

do the guys that shoot these further have better eyes, bigger targets, or is there something else I need to change ???

BTW... I was using a center post front insert on my Globe front sight... I thought about switching to an apiture insert to better see the black dot... or sharpening one of the posts to more of a point to help with windage alignment at the longer distances...

any suggestions from those that shoot these things would be great... thanks...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 7, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:00 AM   #2
kraigwy

Check out the size of Creedmore targets. They have rather large bullseyes that can easily been seen with the veiner type peep sights.

BPCR shooting is a lot like High Power. As you move out to 800 - 1000 yards the size of the black increased in proportion to the 100 yard bullseye.

In other words, the bullseye at 1000 yards looks the same size through your peep sight as the bullseye at 100 yards.

Don't let OLD eyes keep you from shooting. I certainly don't. I use drugstore reading glasses, I have the lens of my right (shooting) is set to focus on the front sight. Then I had the lens in my non-shooting eye set to read the marks on my sights, or reading from my data book.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 6, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Jim Watson

As Kraig says, the targets are in proportion to the range. The black on a rifle bullsye is about 5.5 moa.

So you will get good definition with a 5 or 6 inch target at 100 yards, blow it up to 8 or 9 at 150, etc. The black on a 1000 yard highpower target is 44" which is a little undersize but still nearly 4.5 moa and "bigger" than your 4" spot at 100.

A friend has a 600 yard range, we normally shoot at a 30" black bull on a white backer with iron sights. He has a 19" gong at that range which even painted all black in front of a white board is only 3 moa and is a bit small for iron sights... but it can be hit. We paint a 6" black spot on the gong for scope sights.

Most folks prefer front apertures for shooting at a clearly defined target. Be sure it is big enough to show a substantial white ring around the black.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replys guys... that would make shooting a game sized target ( smaller than a buffalo ) quite a challenge at 500 - 600 yards I guess I'm doing alright then... I'll have to take some pallet covers from work, & paint them white & make proportionately sized black dots then, before I move out to 200 yards...

BTW... this rifle almost seems like shooting a laser... as long as I shot the same bullet, no matter which bullet or which powder charge, 1" groups even at 150 yards weren't uncommon... I was shooting up a bunch of the ammo I got with the gun, so I'd have some brass to start loading, which was 4 different bullets, & unknown powder charges... it has the faster ( suprisingly fast ) twist rate... after I get enough brass freed up, I'll start with my handloads... I'm already getting a couple favorite bullets a 400 grain flat point, & a 380 grain spire point... so I'll start with those bullets on my handloads...
Old July 6, 2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Wilkenstein

That's a sweet rifle. Who made it?
Old July 7, 2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks... my retired local builder & friend built it 15 or so years ago for himself... but he rarely shot it, & is getting too old now to shoot it much... he didn't really want to sell it, but needed some additional cash for home repairs this summer... he knows I'll take good care of the old girl, & offered me the rifle, a bunch of cast bullets & a couple molds, some loaded ammo & the dies for about 1/2 of what it's worth...

it's an old Navy arms action, that he found a nice stock for, then he made the front fore arm to match... the barrel is a Green Mountain fast twist... & is tapped for the long Malcolm style rifle scopes, modern scope bases, as well as the tang sight... the trigger is pretty heavy, but is very crisp, & has an over travel screw added to the trigger gaurd so it was pretty easy to get used to
Old July 7, 2010, 07:53 AM   #7
eastbank

i have that trouble to,and i added a 3x malcom scope to my sharps. the malcom is a good scope,plenty of eye relief,but the adjustments are a PITA. i am looking for a 6x small tubed unertl scope. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (242.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (241.7 KB, 10 views)
Old July 7, 2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

Awesome looking rifle... in the past, ( I didn't have alot of fire arms expirience when I was younger ) I found it easier to learn to shoot as an adult, with scopes... I took an Appleseed course a couple years ago, that helped with both traditional sights & military type peep sights, so I thought I'd give this vernier a try...

Here is my other Rolling Block, an original Remington that was customized before I bought it, probably in the 60's or 70's & chambered in 225 Winchester at that time... my builder thought it too hot for the original black powder reciever ( several of the internals were changed out with smokeless powder parts when I got it... but it's still a black powder frame )... we rebarreled in a fast twist 32 - 40, refiished the highly figured custom wood, tightened the action up with oversize pins, lightened the hammer by drilling a large hole that is not seen externally, which really speeds up the lock time, added the scope, etc.... it now wears a Unertl 15 X scope... pictured here before it was ready for re-blue on the barrel, & with the custom adjustable steel butt plate needing final contouring...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 7, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old July 7, 2010, 12:29 PM   #9
eastbank

my winchester high wall in 45-70 with a older T6 weaver target scope, target was shot at 300 yds from a rest, had a little wind left to right,i should have put 1-1/4 minutes left in. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 949.jpg (240.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 504.jpg (240.5 KB, 9 views)
Old July 7, 2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

SWEET... I'd love to get a High Wall... maybe someday ??? I was thinking maybe 38-55 for a chambering ???

BTW... love the 45-70 as well... was loading some "HOT" 45-70 last night for my Marlin Guide gun, but I also have a custom Martini, one of the Remington Baikal double rifles, & a 14" Contender in 45-70... if I can keep up with the yard this summer, by fall, I'll be pushing the 45-70 out to maybe 200 yards using the 3 leaf safari sights on it...
Old July 7, 2010, 02:22 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

anyone ever try those Barnes 458 SOCOM bullets for their single shots in 45-70 ??? this 300 grain spitzer boat tail aught to fly pretty straight for longer distance shooting, compared to the normal 45-70 flat point

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=544442

I'm thinking for my Martini single shot... maybe my double ???
Old July 7, 2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Monolithic bullets are not recommended for double rifles. The bulge as the hard bullet goes down the bore has been reported to pop the solder joints to the ribs.
Old July 8, 2010, 07:02 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

JIM... thanks for posting that... 1st I've ever heard about it... though I doubt it would be a problem with my "poor boy double" ( the Remington Baikal ) probably doesn't have soldered barrels like a traditional double, since it has the "jack screw" used to regulate the barrels for your particular charge...

... as pictured here