The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 21, 2010, 04:11 PM   #26
markj

Quote:
but should there be any concern with wearing out the spring in the magazine when doing this over long periods?
Not at all, i keep all my mags loaded and they work every time.

I keep a 1911 condition 1 in my safes, 1 in each. If someone makes me open them to get at my goodies, they will face the 45, well I hope it goes that way.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:11 PM   #27
highvel

That could be a new game, try and find the "unloaded" weapon in the house!
The only boomers in the safe that arent loaded are the ones I just ran out of food for.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old June 21, 2010, 05:39 PM   #28
curt.45

if I tell you it won't be as big as a suprise!
Old June 21, 2010, 08:39 PM   #29
sserdlihc

I keep every handgun loaded in my safe.
Old June 21, 2010, 08:44 PM   #30
huntingdrummer

I do! But it is in it's case! I suppose it would be more of a benefit to have it exposed at the closest access on the swing of the safe door! I have never given it much thought!
Old June 21, 2010, 08:47 PM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Well then, with all due respect to Firemen...let them be careful with guns they run across while pursuing thier duties."

Problem is, with a loaded gun in a fire, it's a danger in a radius anywhere it would be dangerous if someone simply pulled the trigger.

The heat of a fire will "cook off" a round in the chamber, at which point it is as dangerous as if the trigger were pulled.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:02 PM   #32
huntingdrummer

loaded in the safe!

To add on to my last reply...I thought about how I keep a loaded gun "stashed" in the places I frequent the most...ie...the vehicle,garage,living room and bedroom.
God forbid by the time I need to open my safe to aquire a loaded weapon,I am in BIG trouble anyway!
Old June 21, 2010, 09:16 PM   #33
(BH)

Oh yeah. Absolutely.

M&P15X w/ loaded mag (not chambered), and Sig 226 ready to roll.

Of course, those are LAST resort. I have a few ready to go in several ares in my home... just in case.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old June 21, 2010, 09:35 PM   #34
Edward429451

The good thing is that I can be firesafe throughout the home and the chances for the fire department needing to be there is nil...whereas criminals in a worsening economy would maliciously seek victims out thereby giving a greater necessity to needing a round chambered at a moments notice, or no notice. It'd be nice to be able to adopt a household policy that would provide emergency personnel a safe enviroment to respond to...but the criminals wont let me darnit.
Old June 21, 2010, 10:59 PM   #35
inSight-NEO

It may sound weird, but I keep a small safe [two gun] for my primary use handguns and another for my rarely shot "safe queens." Those within the "primary use" safe are always loaded, while those relegated to the "safe queen" safe are left unloaded.

I generally take one of the "loaded" handguns out at night, while leaving the other within the safe. In addition, almost always, a shotgun is somewhere nearby.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; June 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 11:00 PM   #36
Steviewonder1

Loaded gun in gunsafe??

I don't have one (gun safe), but lot's of guns loaded around the house. No children in the house and my grandchild cannot function any of my guns as she is a special needs child. All are protected and out-a-sight with reloads next to them.
Old June 21, 2010, 11:11 PM   #37
mothermopar

Here's an unfortunate story about having a gun, being trained to use it... And what happens if it's NOT loaded (read: round in chamber).

Details escape me but remember that escaped con in Georgia a few years ago who kidnapped that woman? He escaped from the courthouse, killed a deputy and took another's gun??? Well a seasoned DHS Special Agent was fixing his new condo floors off duty when that same **** was looking for a place to hide out. Crook came in, the Agent drew, pulled the trigger and....... Nothing.

Crook opened fire and killed the Agent.

I know first hand what training my fallen brother had. Qualifying with all issued/approved weapons every third month... 1000s of rounds a year, plus tactical training and awareness lessons (being prepared). If there's one thing the big fed agencies do well and better than most law enforcement agencies (at least DHS with their Special Agents, IMO), it's teaching firearms and tactics, and keeping those skills fairly-well honed (alot of shooting).

Of course it's what you make of it...

Unfortunately, he didn't do a brass (or press) check before packing that day and it cost him his life. Had a round been chambered, and assumming he was an average shooting DHS Special Agent... There'd have been one dead (or incapacitated) bad guy, one less kidnapping and one still alive officer.

Know your weapon status at all times. If a weapon is to be used as a defensive tool, it's utterly USELESS if not loaded, accessible and ready.

We must learn from the mistakes of others or we are doomed to make those same mistakes ourselves... Even if we are highly trained and experienced law enforcement officers.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/12/at...ing/index.html

It's been a serious violation of policy to NOT have a round chambered while on duty... I treat off duty the same. The only time my weapons are not hot is during drills that require it and when cleaning. They are stored properly when not being worn... Will this prevent a tragedy like the one above? Maybe. Maybe not. But it'll give me (and hopefully you) a better chance to come out of it as the victor!!! Keep a winning mindset, practice safety and tactics... And never sell yourself short by being unprepared or forgetting something that should be second nature.

Prepare to WIN folks!!!

God bless the fallen hero's soul and his family. Rest in peace brother!

Last edited by mothermopar; June 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old June 22, 2010, 12:14 AM   #38
w_houle

I used to keep them all loaded, then I just kept my bed side gun loaded, but since you are suppose to treat all guns as though they are loaded: I have no idea
Old June 22, 2010, 05:47 PM   #39
Mannlicher

"A" loaded handgun in the safe?

Heck no, more like 40 of them.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 22, 2010, 07:31 PM   #40
johnwilliamson062

what about leaving a 2 inch gap between your safe and the wall and stashing one in a cheap uncle mikes sidekick there? Perfect job for a Hi-point
Old June 22, 2010, 07:52 PM   #41
Love Gun

I don't, but i will now. That's a heck of a good idea, thank you! Can't believe i've never thought to do that.
Old June 22, 2010, 08:00 PM   #42
3rdDragoon

I think that is a great idea, as long as your safe is good and theft proof. Where I live, only police are allowed to carry a loaded anything.

One of the most common crimes however, is armed home invasion. Has happened a couple of times where I live as somehow details of licensed gun owners has got into the wrong hands, and guys have been forced to open safes at gun (or knifepoint).

It is a sad fact that crooks have the upper hand where I live. Being able to grab a loaded pistol fast from the safe would give anyone a fighting chance.

A good firearms instructor once told me: 'fast action beats reaction everytime' I think thats very true.

I would love to carry a loaded pistol all the time - But my country prefers victims rather than survivors
Old June 23, 2010, 10:46 AM   #43
demigod

Quote:
i keep most of my guns loaded, weather safed or not.

i see no reason not to.
Exactly!! Every fighting arm I have is kept loaded.

I guess I'd make the exeption for hunting style guns, but I don't have any of those.
Old June 23, 2010, 10:52 AM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a rack that hangs on the door of my safe, and holds 8 handguns, muzzle down.

I'm keeping my HK P7 PSP in the left most slot (facing the rack). I'm left handed, so that works out well.

I do have loaded handguns elsewhere in the house.

As a visual reminder that that handgun is loaded and a round chambered, I've taken a fluorescent orange target dot and put it on the magazine base. It's immediately visible when I open the door to the safe.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.