The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2009, 01:11 PM   #26
michael t

America Classic (mertoarms) or RIA Both msade in Phillipines and way better that the bill board taurus and less money.
C D 's are no longer made by Amscore so can't say quality of new ones.
My Americaan Classis is steal at the current price.

If you want to spend a few bucks more then go with a Colt better valve in long run as they retain the value .
Old March 12, 2009, 01:13 PM   #27
Father Time

A buddy I work with has the Taurus 1911 and loves it! However the prices on the Taurus have been going up and up lately and for a little more cash you can buy a springfield.
Old March 12, 2009, 04:40 PM   #28
Andrewh

I have been running the circle for a few months now.
I started with a 1954 colt commercial. Shot well, but in poor shape over all.
Decided that it would cost as much as a new gun to fix it.
Sold it and had 600 bucks to play with.
Bought the SA stainless GI, but realized I would have the same problem I had with the colt, nasty hammer bite. So I started pricing out what I needed to add and discovered I would be in it for another 150 bucks.
Sold it and decided on the RIA Match, but found the STI spartan cheaper and now have that sitting in my safe.

I do not plan on changing it much. Maybe 20 bucks in parts if that. It has a match grade barrel and bushing, adjustible sight, beavertail, commander hammer and lifetime backing from STI. The internals are STI, otherwise it is the same gun as the RIA match.
Also it was nearly 50 dollars cheaper than the SA GI and 150 cheaper than the milspec.

That is the best bang for your buck. 570 to me after shipping and transfer fees. New.

Sure it is made in the philipines(sp). Sure it is a cast slide and frame. But I don't have to add the important things.
Match one piece barrel and bushing instead of the two piece barrels SA puts in their guns.
Beavertail and commander hammer.
The trigger is already 5 pounds, not the 5-6 SA has. The SA I had was all over the place from 5 pounds 10 oz to 6 pounds 4 oz in pull. This one seems consistant.

Tags
1911 , taurus