The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 11, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
grymster2007

Lost action

I bought a Wolff extra-stiff hammer spring for my old Charter Bulldog and installed it yesterday. The spring is much stiffer than the one I took out and hopefully helps prevent the light strikes I had experienced. Problem is; now I have a double-action only revolver. Hammer won’t stay back for single-action operation.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

grym
Old June 19, 2007, 10:17 PM   #2
jrothWA

Replacing the hammer spring...

should not affect single or double action.
I'm suspicious that the lifter hand from the trigger is not engaging the proper notch.

I would suggest dis-assemble and detail it lube and re-assemble.
If not fixed, take to smith.
What year, I believe some ealier made bulldogs had a over-tighten but nothing about single-action failure.
Old June 20, 2007, 06:30 AM   #3
HammerBite

Sounds like push-off to me. The single-action engagement surfaces are worn or cut at the wrong angle. That gun was dangerous even before you changed the spring -- you could have pushed the hammer off with your thumb.

You need a gunsmith.
Old June 20, 2007, 09:30 AM   #4
grymster2007

I’m not sure of the year. I think the serial # is something like 21XXX.

I’ll take a look at the lifter hand/notch situation. HammerBite’s suspicion of the single-action engagement surfaces bear’s investigation, but with the original spring, I could not push the hammer off with my thumb.

If I don’t find an obvious problem, I’ll take it to the smith…. or just buy a good revolver… yeah, maybe that’s the ticket!

grym
Old June 20, 2007, 09:37 AM   #5
HammerBite

Quote:
but with the original spring, I could not push the hammer off with my thumb.
I guess that eliminates that idea. I don't know if Wolf ever makes a mistake, but the new spring might not fit in the available space. It might be going into coil bind before you get the hammer to the single-action notch.
Old June 20, 2007, 09:46 AM   #6
grymster2007

Coil-bind. Now that may be a possibility. I did seem pretty tight in there. I’ll try and look tonight.
Old June 20, 2007, 09:59 AM   #7
HammerBite

I don't know anything about the lockwork of Charter Arms revolvers, so the following might not be worth much:

If the hammer-strut is not pinned into the hammer, are you sure you re-installed it the right way? If the strut is in the wrong position, that might cause excessive compression of the spring.

Please let us know how this turns out.
Old June 20, 2007, 08:38 PM   #8
grymster2007

Fixed...

I first checked for coil-bind and while it’s close, that was not the problem (maybe Wolff does not make mistakes after all!). Upon closer inspection I noticed the main spring seat (as identified by Charter’s manual, but which I would refer to as a spring retainer) was not fully seated in its channel in the grip frame. It was cocked just a bit. It seemed insignificant, but I guess it changed the angle of the spring guide just enough to prevent the single-action surfaces from engaging. Once seated properly, the action works just fine. I double-checked and at full cock, I cannot push the hammer off with my thumb. I don’t think I could do it with both thumbs. So seems good to go. While I was at it, I carefully flat-sanded the mating faces of the grips, so they now actually lock out when the screw is tightened.

And now I like my Bulldog again!

Thanks for your help!

grym