The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 15, 2002, 04:03 PM   #1
TaxPhd

Shot My New Muzzleloader

Today I shot my new Lyman GPR, .54 cal. caplock.

Used two different conicals - a 380 grn. Lee R.E.A.L., and a 430 grn. T/C Maxiball. Charge was 70 grns. of ffg (Don't give me any grief about the light load, BigG, this was sightin' in and messin' around - not Elk hunting! )

Took eight rounds to get the sight adjusted. Sight was Lyman's 57GPR receiver sight.

After sighters, three round groups with each type of bullet were approx. 1.5". All three rounds touching in nice little cloverleafs. Just chewed the bull out of the target. This was at 50 yards.

Next time out, sight it in 2" high at 75 yards, and I'll be good to go for Elk season.

The crescent steel buttplate on this rifle really accents the recoil. These loads were pretty mild, but if the rifle wasn't held just so, it would bite you pretty good. Hold it right, and it was just a mild shove.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old August 15, 2002, 04:46 PM   #2
Jimmy Mac

The Great Plains Rifle is a fine one. I had a .54 for years and I sold it in June to a friend that really wanted it.

You are right about the butt plate.

I only used roundball in mine. It had a good kick with 120 grains of Elephant FF and a 220 grain ball.

The only thing I do not like about the Lyman is that dang front sight. It looks like it is an inch thick.

I replaced it with one about .60 and it was much better.

The Lyman is a quality rifle.
Old August 15, 2002, 04:59 PM   #3
BigG

Yo, Tax! Sounds like a goodun! We'll have a shoot off someday with my CVA Mountain Rifle, also .54.

With BP you find the load that groups the best, not necessarily the heaviest powder charge. In fact, when you shoot over a clean surface like snow, you will see that a whole lot of unburned powder granules are wasted if you stoke her much more than about 80 grains. Those 120 grain loads just spill a lot of powder in mho.

And, yes, the hooked brass buttplates are their own version of hell on earth when it comes to felt recoil. That, and the crooked stock that dings your cheekbone at every shot!

Congrats, bud!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 15, 2002, 05:06 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Been told those crescent shaped plates were placed against the inside of the elbow and not against the shoulder. Haven't read any documentation or diaries or contemporary texts on the issue, but this is what those who are more learned than I (and that's a whole heckuva lot of folks) told me.

BTW, the Great Plains is one great rifle.
Old August 15, 2002, 05:26 PM   #5
BigG

Gary, how do they line up the sights with the hold you describe?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC