The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 11:23 PM   #26
SIMP

I tell you...of my list, the Nano has been the only one I can find locally. Guns are getting almost impossible to find!
Old February 26, 2013, 10:17 AM   #27
SIMP

Well, my search has ended. I ended up getting the LC9. I really like the size and the way it fits in my hand....especially after having the LCP for some time now. I still haven't shot it yet so I can't speak on that behalf.

One thing I can really appreciate is the fact that it can be pocket carried in cargo style shorts which is what I mainly wear here in hot and humid Mississippi.

Will post range report once I have a chance to shoot it. Hopefully this weekend.

Next on my list from Ruger...SR9c. Maybe Santa can build me one since I can't get one locally!
Old February 26, 2013, 09:41 PM   #28
GruntgunDr

Well being able to carry what I want, I have carried the PP, PPK/S, M36 S&W but have ended up with the LC9 and love it. My Dad and Brother both carry them. As someone mentioned earlier, don't wait to long. It won't be long and you'll carry whatever you have!
Old February 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #29
SIMP

GruntgunDr, thank for your reply. I have heard all positive things about the LC9 except for a few who can't stand the safety features. I understand that some of them can be removed or disabled. How do you carry your LC9? Thanks.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #30
Mauser8mm

Beretta

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact

MSRP- $575
Old February 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #31
AdamSean

Don't count out a Kahr. They are very good guns and super easy to conceal.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:30 PM   #32
Grant D

I like my LC9, never had any problems with it,and carry it with one in the chamber and safety off.
I carry it in a Crossbreed holster,and my LCP in my back pocket for back up, and a magazine for both in my watch pocket.
Put a Pachmyer grip on the LC9 and a Hogue grip on the LCP which makes them both a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited by Grant D; March 3, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:51 PM   #33
Puddle

Quote:
If you are considering any of these pistols, you should also consider the Kahr CM9 (or pricier PM9).
Yeah, this.

I have a PM9, but I don't IWB it. It's a pocket gun for me. I forget the name of the pocket holster I have for it, but it basically makes the PM9 look like a big wallet in my front pocket.

I like the HK PSK2000 for IWB. It's a .40, but is the best compact IWB pistol I own.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:12 AM   #34
JCip

Best 9mm for the Money

I have carried 38s in the past in my jobs. Why does everyone need to use an automatic? A 38 snub nose with an alloy frame and a covered hammer is just fine. S&W, Colt, and Taurus are some good names.
Now you want a smaller auto instead. Remember, because of fear tactics (see the NRA), prices have sky-rocketed (both the gun and the 9mm ammo).
Try out these small guns first if you can. First, does the gun hold enough ammo? Most don't. Next, is the grip so crappy that the second shot goes wild (always fire in 3 shot patterns)? Many have this problem. Do you want to remortgage your home to pay for this gun? Some are approaching $800. Is it light enough not to weigh you down? How about a 15 oz. weapon.
Try the recently made SCCY CPX 2 (see the Youtube). Its made in Florida from high quality stainless and polymer parts. It fits nicely in your hand (grip close to a Glock). The magazines are made by the company and hold 10 rounds (comes with 2). It's light, balanced, and the trigger pull is smooth. It has a life time warranty. Many manufacturers and gun shops don't want you to know about this gun because it costs only $300.
Only one problem here....no safety. Have you ever had to draw your weapon and quickly shoot? I have. Try remembering to release the safety under this kind of pressure! Not an easy task. I like a safety but most were designed in the past to keep the gun from firing if dropped. Modern weapons seldom have this problem. Just keep your finger off the trigger until you need it.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:47 AM   #35
Pilot

Quote:
Remember, because of fear tactics (see the NRA), prices have sky-rocketed (both the gun and the 9mm ammo).
So the NRA has passed sweeping legislation like New York on banning semi-auto rifles and magazines over seven rounds? I guess the NRA is attempting to pass more gun and mag bans in states like Colorado, Connecticut, California, and a plethora of other states around the U.S. The NRA has also made the Feds like Feinstein, Biden, Obama, Schummer, Pelosi, etc move for a new AWB, and magazine capacity bans.

I also didn't know the NRA was able to set prices for gun, and accessory companies, and their retailers and private sellers.

I didn't realize the NRA had that much legislative or regulatory power.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Pico

It was CARRY right?

LC-9 is GREAT for carry, not the best shooter but excellent to drop in a pocket. It does not shoot that bad either. Recoil is not an issue.

Pico
Old March 2, 2013, 01:39 PM   #37
kahrguy

jclip Firearm prices have NOT skyrocketed. Maybe some dealer are scalping customers but not the gun companies. We have added several handguns to our family in the last 2 months and they were the same price as some months back at or 10% over his cost general store. NRA has zero to do with setting prices too. . Glock gen three 19 is 509, gen 4 is 559. M&P9c my wife bought is 463 and my new TP40 kahr was 543.18. Wifes TCP ss was 250. Son-in-laws bought a cpx-2 and it was 260.

Maybe some folks need to look for a better dealer.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:04 PM   #38
Hitthespot

i carried a SR9c for over a year and decided I needed something smaller. I had basically the same 9mm micro compact list you did. I was researching when I came across a number of people bragging on the Kahr pistols. I did some more research and am now the proud owner of a CM9. I couldn't be happier. Put over three hundred rounds of every kind of ammunition through it this week, bulk and hollow points. Never once failed. It will be my everyday carry from now on.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:29 PM   #39
shootniron

I think any of those listed would serve you well. I personally like all of them, although, the Glock is a little thicker than I prefer for a CCW.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:10 AM   #40
basilisk4

For anyone else still looking at this thread for advice, I'll second the recommendation on the Kel-Tec PF9. I know a lot of folks hate Kel-Tec because of their early foibles, but the PF9 is a pretty nice pistol and about the most concealable thing out there.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:16 AM   #41
Laz

Quote:
Why does everyone need to use an automatic?
They don't. But, shouldn't that decision be theirs?

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:54 PM   #42
SIMP

Well, I have a confession to make. The LC9 has been brushed aside and an M&P9c has found it's way into the family. What a great gun.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:13 PM   #43
Dashunde

Congrats on the new M&P...

Quote:
I'm a proud owner of an LCP that I currently pocket carry but I've been considering buying a sub-compact 9mm to carry IWB
But if your anything like me you may find that M&P collecting dust while the LCP eventually ends up once again riding along all-day-every-day.

As much as I adore it, I even sold my beloved PM9 recently... I just didnt carry it anymore, almost never.
Damn LCP...
Old March 5, 2013, 04:39 PM   #44
SIMP

Good point! It sure is easy carrying Elsie Pea so if the M&P9c proves too much for carry, LCP may be riding along again.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:38 PM   #45
SIMP

Update....not that you or anyone else really cares but......I finally got a Shield. After being on the waiting list for a little over 2 months, they called me yesterday and said they had one in. Needless to say that I rushed over and picked it up. Shot it today and I am totally impressed with it. Compared to my LC9, the trigger is a dream. I'm not bashing the LC9 as it is a great gun, but the shorter trigger pull of the Shield suits me better. I was shooting very well with it today for my first outing.

Anyway, that's where I stand on my new conceal carry search.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:51 PM   #46
FLChinook

Rohrbaugh?

I almost never see the Rohrbaugh 9mm suggested as for this application. It costs an arm and a leg but the quality is undeniable and small size pretty remarkable.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:59 PM   #47
redhologram

Quote:
Update....not that you or anyone else really cares but......I finally got a Shield. After being on the waiting list for a little over 2 months, they called me yesterday and said they had one in. Needless to say that I rushed over and picked it up. Shot it today and I am totally impressed with it. Compared to my LC9, the trigger is a dream. I'm not bashing the LC9 as it is a great gun, but the shorter trigger pull of the Shield suits me better. I was shooting very well with it today for my first outing.

Anyway, that's where I stand on my new conceal carry search.
Glad to hear you got yourself a Shield. Got that on my list to pick up when I stumble up on one sometime.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:20 PM   #48
pete2

I have the LC9 and I like it. I've fired the Shield and the small Kahr. I won't be trading the LC9 for either of the others. The LC is smaller and lighter than the S&W, thinner than the Kahr. I like the safety on it, I don't care for the magazine lock and I would remove it except it's a carry gun so I won't do any mods on it. I shoot it a little better than my 642 but the 642 is lighter than the LC and it carries better in the pocket so the revolver is still my main ccw.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:26 PM   #49
Dashunde

Congrats now on the Shield....just keep an eye out for that sneaky LCP...next thing you know it'll be on your hip or in your pocket!
Old March 29, 2013, 08:17 PM   #50
led0321

Re: Considering New 9mm for Conceal Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMP View Post
All,
I'm a proud owner of an LCP that I currently pocket carry but I've been considering buying a sub-compact 9mm to carry IWB or OWB when weather/dress permits. Here's a list of guns that I have on the bucket list:

Ruger LC9
S&W Shield
Berretta Nano
Glock 26

Out of this list, which would you recommend based on your experiences or what you've heard? Even if you don't care for any of them, which one would you prefer? The lesser of the four evils....
Glock 27