The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2009, 08:16 PM   #1
DWS1057

Seating Problem

Looking for advice on the following. Started reloading for .45 apc last year. I shoot a Kimber Gold Combat. I use a single stage RCBS and RCBS 3 die set. I have loaded aprox. 2,000 rounds with very few problems. I ran out of the bullets I started with which were 200 grain Rainier plated SWC. Midway was out so I ordered 1,000 Hornady Encapsulated Combat SWC. The bullets are almost identical. The only difference is the base on the Rainer has a very light bevel on the edge of the base and the Hornady do not. I had not changed anything on the dies. When I attempted to seat the new bullets I consistently got a small ripple in the case at the base of the bullet. The only way I can get good results is to screw out the seating die until there is almost no taper on the case mouth (and screw in the seating plug to correct OAL). The finished rounds will not chamber, the slide does not lock up. I backed off the seating plug and screwed the seating die in 1/4 turn and re- crimped about 20 rounds. The re-crimped rounds feed fine. Looking for suggestions as I have 800 of the Hornady bullets and I would prefer not to have to add the additional re-crimp step. Not that it matters but the load is 4.2 grains of Clays, Federal 150 primers, Federal nickel plated cases, 1.225 OAL. Advice would be appreciated.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:36 PM   #2
kraigwy

Try micing the bullets, its seems like the bullets arn't the same size. 45 bullets vary from .450-454.

This is a common problme with cast bullets.

Simple fix: Get the Lee Carbide Factory Crimping die. This die has a carbide ring at the bottom of the die. It re-sizes the case as you pull it out of the die. I think this will fix your problem.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
DWS1057

Both bullets measure .4515. I think the problem with the Hornady bullets is that the base has a sharp edge where the Rainier bullet has a slight bevel or radius which permits it to slide into the unexpanded portion of the case easier. My other idea prior to buying a new seating die is to increase the depth of the expander plug. I am currently expanding enough so that I can insert the bullet about .0625" by hand before seating in the press. I will however take a look at the die you recomended for plan b. Thanks for the input

Checked out the Lee Crimping Die. It seems that this is a crimp only die. The RCBS die I am using seats the bullet and applies a taper crimp in one step. It may be necessary to seat and crimp in seperate steps until I use of the rest of the bullets I have on hand.

Last edited by DWS1057; March 3, 2009 at 09:04 PM.