The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Gaxicus

Going for volume

I have a lot of RCBS equipment for single stage loading and think, overall, things work fine. I do hate the priming tools but thats another story.

While the 2 rockcrushers has served me well for lower volume loading, I have several people beating my door down for SHTF loads. Im talking at least 30000 rounds. Not going to happen with this setup.

I have quite a few dies etc for the rockcrusher and I am inclined to go for a progressive RCBS press but after doing some research, I'm not so sure

I have been amazed at the volume of loading requests lately without even looking for them.

I guess I am looking at 3 concerns that I would appreciate some input on.
  1. How do I maximize production for a budget of $1k to $1.5k including dies for 308, 9mm, 223, 45. I wouldnt mind staying RCBS but there seem to be plenty of reasons to consider other systems.
  2. I need a volume priced components provider. Anybody have a good reference or two.....three?
  3. What do you think the likeleyhood is that this equipment will be useless in a year because of changing laws?

I know Im being excessively nonspecific here, but there are some pretty serious loaders here and I am sure they are dealing with similar issues. I wanted to leave it wide open because as far as I am concerned everything is on the table.

Thanks,

Gax

Last edited by Gaxicus; March 3, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Inspector3711

I can tell you my experience. I'm surrounded by people at work that are of a higher income level than I. They have either Dillon or Hornady presses. They are excellent presses but out of my price range at this point.

A friend I met on TFL who is a gunsmith and knows more than I probably ever will about these things has been using a Lee Pro-1000 for over 20 years. He recommended that I give it a try. My cost was $139 plus shipping for the .40 S&W kit which comes with everything you need (dies too) except for brass, bullets, primers, and powder.

It took three sessions to get the hang of it. Really it's a matter of becoming smarter than the press so to speak. You simply have to train yourself to complete travel of the handle to keep the press synchronized. If it goes out of synch it takes a few seconds to reset it in most cases. Anyway, by the third session I pumped out 200 rounds with no problems.

I can see where I should be capable of 300 per hour in the next session or two.

It runs about $60-70 for each caliber change with this press. It's half or less than half of what the others can cost. And at $140-150 for the press kit some guys buy one for each caliber instead. I don't have room so I'll buy caliber changes instead of additional presses.

It will work up to your .223 but won't do .308. You can get the Lee Loadmaster which will do .308 but the reviews aren't quite as good on that press as I recall.

In summary, the Lee Pro-1000 isn't the best press on the market. The manual isn't real great but the videos on Lee's site combined with advice here (you can always PM me for some pointers, you'll need a few tips) make it a viable low cost solution that will turn out large quantities of premium ammunition. It also allows maximum funds to be left over for components.

The key is patience for the first 2-3 reloading sessions. Once you get to the other end of the learning curve you'll be glad you bought this press.

Powder River seems to be a good supplier as is Midway, but all seem to be out of stock on some items these days. Brassman or Oncefiredbrass are good for what they do.

We don't know what the future holds for us. I for one hope that the NRA and our congress work together to protect our second ammendment rights. I think they will.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:27 AM   #3
rwilson452

If your going to reload for others and charge for them you need a license from the ATF to do that legally. You will need insurance. About 2,000,000 worth. Getting a good press is not your greatest worry.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:06 AM   #4
ShootingNut

rw,
The last sentence of your post says it all!
Not enough money in it, for taking on the liability issues in my opinion.
regards,
SN
Old March 3, 2009, 09:27 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

What is actually "REQUIRED"

IF you reload in someone's actual fired cases you incur no Federal requirements; if you load in any other case you need a Federal manufacturing license, and you are responsible for Excise Tax.
(Might need a state tax license, too.)

Insurance is NOT mandatory, but a good idea (and most cop-shops and gunshops won't buy/sell your ammo without it).

Not guessing.....
Old March 3, 2009, 09:29 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

tooling

Suggest Dillon XL650with casefeeder, roller handle, and (numerous) toolheads holding dedicated dies and powder-check station and powder measure.
Old March 3, 2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Steviewonder1

Better Progressive Press

Ditto for the Dillon 650, plus if anything breaks they send you new parts free for as long as you own it.
Old March 3, 2009, 04:58 PM   #8
PCJim

Components supplier - today, that would be anyone who may have what you need in stock. Due to the current mania out there, supplies are backordered everywhere. A couple of phone calls with advance deposits on your orders might insure the delivery of supplies, but who knows?

Equipment life - any of the big name manufacturer's equipment will last many years, although I'm sure that is not your concern. As to the political climate, if you know the answer to that one you probably also cashed out your stocks and mutual funds in 2007. If BHO & Co. ban everything, we might be able to get it repealed in four years.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:06 PM   #9
oneounceload

The legal ramifications of what you're talking about, IMO, would not be worth it. If you intend to go commercial, you'll need expensive equipment that can turn out your 30,000 in an hour or two.....
Old March 3, 2009, 09:30 PM   #10
amamnn

These days, anyone who loads for someone else is asking for the trouble he will surely get, espceially if he's been loading for less than 30 years. Anyone who shoots the ammo that guy makes is a fool.