The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2009, 04:14 PM   #1
PadawanLearner

Lee loading tools? Another rookie ?

I'm going to jump on the wagon and get into reloading. I'll mostly be reloading 45 colt and 30-06 for recreational use.

I've been looking at Lee's press kits on leeprecision.com. Prices seem reasonable. What do you experienced guys think of these kits? Would you recommend them? What kit would be most bennificial for my needs. Like I said this would be for recreational use and maybe some small-medium game hunting. Don't need 10000 rounds stocked like some of you.
Old February 26, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
rwilson452

I would really suggest you get the lee classic turret press. Usually not included in any kit are loading blocks and calipers. I would also highly recommend a tumbler to clean your brass.

Read the sticky at the top of the forum. then get two or three good manuals or books. Suggestions include ABC's of reloading, Lyman Reloading handbook, Lee's Modern reloading. Do a couple of laps around them before you buy anything else.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:00 PM   #3
kyle663

i like the lee products myself. dies are inexpensive and the presses are great for starting out as well as experienced reloaders.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Shoney

PadawanLearner

WELCOME to TFL!!!!!!!!!

I would have thought "The Force" would teach you.

I agree with Mr. Wilson. The biggest bang for your buck will be the Classic Turret, and it does come in kit form from Kempf's.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41

They are probably running behind at least 2 weeks like most wholesalers because of the run on reloading equipment.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 26, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
PadawanLearner

Quote:
I would have thought "The Force" would teach you.
AHHH, yes you would think. Cloudy my mind has been, I have much to learn.

Thanks for all the replys and links. I do intend to dive into the manuals, I thought I'd hear from you guys as well.

May have more questions later, so until then... Cheers.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Qtiphky

Lee Rocks!

I have used Lee reloading equipment exclusively. I started with shotguns 20 years ago and now do pistols and rifles as well. I love Lee for the simplicity and the durability so far. My shotgun reloaders are over 20 years old and still work perfectly.
Old February 26, 2009, 07:08 PM   #7
wncchester

PadawanLearner, Lees tools are MADE for people like you. I would suggest you consider one of the "Classics", "Cast" or "Turret" and build your own "kit" but the Anniversary kit will do fine.

Get set up, then go forth and have fun in piece. And with confidence.
Old February 26, 2009, 07:36 PM   #8
markr

Have fun in piece? That sounds scary.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 26, 2009, 07:40 PM   #9
wncchester

Peace, peace you dummy, not pieces!
Old February 27, 2009, 09:59 AM   #10
PadawanLearner

PIECE be with you all!

Thanks again guys, I am excited to get started. Now I just need to figure out what to buy my wife so I can spend money too. You married guys would understand.
Old February 27, 2009, 10:03 AM   #11
markr

Quote:
Now I just need to figure out what to buy my wife so I can spend money too. You married guys would understand.
Silly rabbit, it's called JEWLERY.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 27, 2009, 06:19 PM   #12
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day PadawanLearner, use 'the force' on her. You should be able to control her mind. If that fails try bribery. Maybe she needs to have her own gun to reload for?
Old February 27, 2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Tex S

Quote:
Now I just need to figure out what to buy my wife so I can spend money too. You married guys would understand.
Whatever you do just make sure your first purchase of equipment includes a bunch of miscellaneous items. This way, you can add to the collection and she won't even know. It all looks the same to my lady.

Do try and stick with the same color though. RCBS green sticks out like a sore thumb in a sea of Lee red.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:42 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What do you experienced guys think of these kits?
... Stay away from any Lee tools made of plastic.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:50 PM   #15
markr

If spending more money to achieve the same result makes you feel better, than don't buy Lee.......

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 1, 2009, 02:15 PM   #16
amamnn

I use a lot of Lee tools and dies. I've learned a few things about them in 50+ years. Mostly good things, but not all. Definitely, Lee equipment is good value for your money and the kits are an excellent starting place for neophytes.

Lee patents using the same tolerances have long been licensed to other press and die makers. Some dies of other brands costing significantly more than a Lee are actually Lee's design. Lee tools can be used to make surprisingly good ammo for the investment.

Many of Lee's best ideas are not sold by anyone else--the collet neck die, the fixed length trimmers, the rifle version of the factory crimp die, the classic turret press.

Lee's steel parts will rust very quickly if you are not obsessively clean and wipe them down with a silicone rag after EVERY use. This means ALL steel parts, trimmers, dies, presses (the unpainted or unchromed parts, obviously) shell holders, etc.....

Lee's instructions are sometimes cryptic. I've heard this has improved lately, and the videos on the Lee website are helpful.

Richard Lee's (and now his son's) ideas about powder and primer handling and my needs in those areas are not on the same page, maybe even different books.

Speaking of books, Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" is a must.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:25 PM   #17
mikld

Beware of "Tool Snobs". I work in a Heavy Equipment Repair Shop and see a lot of what I call "tool snobbery". It's the purchase of tools and equipment by the name or color and not the quality of the tool. "If it ain't Snap-on (or MAC, or Matco, or Proto, et. al.) it ain't no good. The same in reloading; "if it ain't RCBS (or Dillon, or Hornady, etc), it ain't no good". EVERY piece of Lee equipment/tools I've purchased has worked as well as any other manufacturer of reloading stuff that I have purchased. I have RCBS, Hornady, Lyman dies and tools too. (did you know a Guiness record was held for 7 years by a guy that reloaded with a Lee Loader?). Anyway, Lee makes a quality product and you can't go wrong with them.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:39 PM   #18
markr

Quote:
(did you know a Guiness record was held for 7 years by a guy that reloaded with a Lee Loader?).
Well, what was the record for?

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 1, 2009, 03:42 PM   #19
benzuncle

I got the reloading bug a little over a year ago. In the research phase Dillon was the Top O'the pile (and still is). But I kept reading that the Lee equipment builds accurate rounds and the equipment is easier on the wallet. I then weighed the awesome lifetime no BS warranty that Dillon equipment has against the comments that LEE owners had and determined that not enough has gone wrong with the LCT's to make the lifetime warranty an issue, for me. I opted for the LEE Classic Turret Press and have not regretted it. More than a year has come and gone; the LCT is still working fine. The plastic parts, the ones that do not take a lot of abuse are doing just fine. The metal parts have taken the abuse in stride. The ammo I have built has saved me enough money to pay for the machine and then some. I now load 3 calibers: 45acp, 380acp and 357sig. The dies and turrets are an excellent value. Changing calibers is literally done in less than a minute. Plenty of other reloaders use the Lee Carbide Dies on their loaders of other makes. The LCT can be used as a single stage or a semi-progressive. Don't expect it to turn out more than 200 rounds per hour, though. (This works for me; YMMV.) The LCT: The best bang for the reloading buck. The biggest drawback to the LEE equipment is the instructions. This is easily overcome through the forums. There are plenty of owners here willing to help you through your problems. And a call to LEE is a very satisfying experience. The best I can determine, every brand of loader builds accurate ammo. Good luck to you with whichever loading equipment you choose. Like most of us, you might begin reloading to save money. Along the way you will probably find out that it is a very satisfying hobby too and you will enjoy reloading more than you ever imagined.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:14 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If spending more money to achieve the same result makes you feel better, than don't buy Lee
Quote:
Beware of "Tool Snobs".
Call me a tool snob. When it comes down to it, the plastic crap that Lee puts out will break 100 times faster than my metal equivalent. (RCBS, Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, etc...)

Quote:
I then weighed the awesome lifetime no BS warranty that Dillon equipment has against the comments that LEE owners had and determined that not enough has gone wrong with the LCT's to make the lifetime warranty an issue
The presses do well for most people. It's the accessories that fail miserably.

Quote:
Many of Lee's best ideas are not sold by anyone else--the collet neck die, the fixed length trimmers, the rifle version of the factory crimp die, the classic turret press.
Collet dies are made by almost all die manufacturers.

Fixed length trimmers are a one-size-fits-all answer to a question that shouldn't have one answer. (I own several of the Lee guages / trimmer pilots, and a zip-trim. A proper, adjustable case trimmer is light years ahead.)

Drop the 'Classic' from 'Classic turret press' and you'll find similar items from at least 4 major reloading suppliers.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:56 PM   #21
CrustyFN

Quote:
Drop the 'Classic' from 'Classic turret press' and you'll find similar items from at least 4 major reloading suppliers.
OK Lee Deluxe turret. Now show me the four other turrets with auto index.
Rusty
Old March 1, 2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Retired in 2001

Lee loading tools? Another rookie

Thinking about getting Classic lee loader due to the lack of space and other reasons. for the pistols 45,38,9mm.Tools snobs can pipe in.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:05 PM   #23
markr

I think the Lee Loader is good for sitting at the range developing loads. I think you will be much happier with a bench mounted press.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 1, 2009, 07:23 PM   #24
mikld

The record was for 1000 yards. Not sure of the event. Maybe I'm wrong but, I just want tools and equipment that works, not for the "status" of the name on them.

Sorry Retired, but if the 45 dies don't come in a green box it just ain't gonna work, doncha know?
Old March 1, 2009, 09:33 PM   #25
wncchester

Mauser: "Call me a tool snob. When it comes down to it, the plastic crap that Lee puts out will break 100 times faster than my metal equivalent. (RCBS, Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, etc...)"

"Collet dies are made by almost all die manufacturers."

Well, you are right of course. No one would suggest a ham-fisted person can't break plastic parts more easily than they can your "metal equivalent." But, why would that be necesssary? If we treat tools properly they won't bend, break or even wear out for a LOOONG time! Or, am I wrong?

But collet dies are made by "almost all" others? Pray tell, who besides Lee makes any collet dies at all? And what kind of die do they make that uses a collet? The single instance I know of who uses a collet part at all is Hornady, who copied Lee's decap/expander rod holder, but that doesn't make it a "collet die" at all.

To the best of my knowledge, Lee's Collet neck sizer is unique, and the best neck die in the industry, IMHO! So are their collet type rifle Factory Crimping Dies. I love Lee's collet dies but I know of I know of no one else who makes anything even close to them!

OPPS! Almost forgot, yeah, there is ONE! Innovative Technoligies has a base sizing die for belted magnum cases that works with a collet. But it's a very expensive, special purpose die that's made for the limited few who have problems with their normal FL sizers.

Those who use Lee tools properly are satisfied with them and load ammo the equal of anyone.

Last edited by wncchester; March 1, 2009 at 09:43 PM.