The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 9, 2016, 08:26 PM   #1
P71pilot

Spare parts for AKM

I own a personally converted Saiga 7.62x39mm rifle. This is the only semi-auto rifle I own, and i would like to start acquiring spare parts for it in case I have a part break or for some reason the internet goes down and I can no longer order things on tap.

It is my understanding that the most vulnerable parts would be springs, and if I remember correctly, the only spring in my rifle is the hammer/trigger spring, which is a dual/twined wire spring. I will order a spare hammer spring, but aside from this part, what would you think would be another part that could fail easily?

I have only about 1000rds fired through this rifle, and internally, everything is izhmash, except the trigger (tapco g2) and the retaining arm/plate and also bullet feed ramp which is bolted in. It has the trigger guard bolted on and loctited, and the pistol grip is attached via the trigger guard which has threading built in. I really wish I would have ordered a different trigger guard and used the standard pistol grip t nut and bolt, as I am sure that is much stronger.

I would like to stick to Russian made spare parts but this will be quite hard to do. I am guessing Romanian/polish/Bulgarian parts will be fine, since they are military grade, I just have to make sure they will fit a 7.62 AKM
Old February 9, 2016, 10:00 PM   #2
Skarekrow88

Spare hammer spring and a spare trigger group wouldn't hurt and if you absolutely had to have it; a firing pin, extractor and the springs to go with them. In all honesty you'll probably never need any of it and most likely neither will the person you pass the rifle on to.
Old February 10, 2016, 07:18 PM   #3
jonnyc

No need for little spares. As stated above you won't really need any. Best investment is get a second AK and lots of ammo.
Old February 11, 2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Toecutter 7n6

There is no Russian translation for "spare AK parts".
Old February 14, 2016, 03:26 PM   #5
runningbear

I picked up some hammer springs when at a firearm show, never needed them.
You sure need not worry about a bolt failure or a failing extractor they are tough.
If you look at the parts in any AK you will notice they are really tough parts, made to go a long way if combat.
Old February 15, 2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Tomas

I broke the recoil guide rod assembly on my .308 Galil so I'd get one of those based on my experience. I keep a spare handy for my AKM now too. Maybe a spare bolt, complete, if u do anything. But probably won't need it. That should do ya.
Old February 15, 2016, 04:37 PM   #7
joeb

Hammer spring, disconnector spring, recoil guide rod spring, muzzle brake detent spring if barrel is threaded, mag latch spring, extractor spring. None of mine utilize firing pin springs Some vendors used to offer complete spring kits.
The only spring I've ever had fail was a disconnector spring and things quickly became interesting. Apex was usually my source for spare parts, though I've never had any major factory component fail.
Old February 15, 2016, 09:44 PM   #8
P71pilot

Today received the parts I ordered for my saiga. I installed everything.

New trigger guard (bolt on)
Tapco Tnut and pistol grip screw
Krebs custom 100-800m rear peep sight.

My old trigger guard was held on via 3 small screws that threaded into the thick machined guard. This guard had a threaded portion at the back that the pistol grip bolt (had to cut 80% of threads off of bolt to make work) threaded into. I did not like the idea of the pistol grip being attached via the trigger guard, so I wanted the strength of the much larger T nut in receiver and also a more proper looking trigger guard. I still have to fill the old trigger system holes with rivets and paint em, and put another coat of high temp paint on the bottom of the receiver and she will be perfect
Old February 15, 2016, 10:47 PM   #9
Skarekrow88

Quote:
Krebs custom 100-800m rear peep sight.
How do you like it? I was thinking about getting the 1000m one for my Saiga
Old February 16, 2016, 03:13 AM   #10
P71pilot

I love the Krebs peep sight. Seems like it will work wonderful. The front sight is much easier to see and I feel that I can maintain same amount of accuracy at long range. It's easy to center too, accuracy should be good. Although I wasn't really having problems before, just trouble focusing/seeing front sight in anything but sunlight.

Tags
akm , backup , parts , saiga