The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
jtravisbayne

Homemade Dry Fire Snap Caps

I was picking up brass yesterday at the outdoor range and had an idea. There were a fair amount of aluminum CCI shot shell cases lying around, so I picked up several. I took the primer punch out of my sizing die and ran one of the cases through the stations, seating a bullet I'd pulled from an another round in it. I think the end result is an inexpensive snap cap. The spent primer should protect the firing pin and with it sized, it should chamber ok. Those snap caps are nice for emergency action drills, mag change practice, and dry fire trigger reset excercises, but they are around $20 for a 5 pack. I got a whopping $0.05 in this one; really nothing since I was going to throw the bullet away anyhow.

Anybody think this is a good or bad idea? Really don't see any safety issues. The primer is spent and the coloring is a dead give away that it's not one of my live rounds.

TB

Old March 1, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Sevens

I definitely don't see anything unsafe about it, and it seems like a decent idea for a dummy round moreso than a snap cap because it's closer to the weight of a loaded round, where a snap cap is not.

A dummy round (to me, anyhow) would be something you can shuck in and out of your pistol, helping with operation and stopping drills and practice.

The biggest purpose for a snap cap (again, IMO) is to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'm doing the best I can do to protect my hammer/firing pin from possible damage done by the act of repeated dry-firing.

Along those lines, I don't personally believe that a dead primer on a fired case is doing as well of a job of that as a spring-loaded brass faux primer as found on my more expensive snap caps.

Now, there are plenty of folks in our hobby that don't believe snap caps are anything more than snake oil, trying to prevent a problem that's not possible in the first place. I'm not saying they are wrong. I am saying that a proper spring-loaded snap cap gives me the warm fuzzies, and makes me feel like I'm doing what I can do to protect my firearm's innards.

The only other relevant thing I can think of is: You are certainly being a little cheap (I have NO problem with that!) by not wanting to buy a springy snap cap, but I do think it's TOO CHEAP to also go with a crappy aluminum Blazer round rather than a proper brass case. Besides the fact that I don't particularly want aluminum in my chamber, those rounds with that aluminum case are odd-weighted, quite front-heavy, as the aluminum is (IMO) significantly lighter than a piece of brass.

So if I were you, I'd toss the scrap aluminum crap and at least make my "poor man's snap cap" out of a real piece of brass.

And no, I wouldn't use A-Merc even for that! A-Merc is not even good enough for a cheap snap cap, IMO.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
millerwb

The only problem that I would see about using a brass case is that I would not want to confuse it with one of my reloads. I cast most of my own bullets and so I would not have an easy time telling the two apart should they get mixed in together without checking each and every primer.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:30 PM   #4
jtravisbayne

Miller,

That was my thought exactly. I'd hate to punch a hole in the wall of my house because I thought I had a clip full of dummies. That's why I went with the aluminum cases. Plus, I think the A-Zooms that I spent 20 bucks on have an aluminum case with a red finish on them. They're lighter than these little cheapos.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:30 PM   #5
FirearmsFan

Another thing that might occur...the firing pin may eventually pierce the primer. A long time ago I wanted to dry fire a ruger DA, so I took spent cases and put silicone in the primer pockets. It was actually permatex "the right stuff". It's pretty durable stuff and I'm not even sure it was worth the effort. Guess it was piece of mind at the time. Don't know if this would be worth it for a semiauto. Always mark your dummy/homemade snapcaps with bright colors.
Old March 1, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6
devilfrog

Or make the dummy rounds like the military has... Drill a couple holes in the case then there is no mistaking it for a live round or vice-versa.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:54 AM   #7
farmall

Fill primer pocket with silicone to provide cushion. Has worked well for me.

Andy
Old March 2, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
mkl

I ran across some snap caps that I made 20+ years ago. I'm sure this was not my idea originally, but it works well.

Go to a good hardware store and find some nylon screws that have a diameter just slightly smaller than your primer pocket.

Pick up a drill and tap that matches the screw thread.

Drill and tap the primer pocket and then insert the nylon screw from the inside of the case and screw it in so that the base protrudes from the primer pocket.

Sand the base of the screw flat, and then back it into the case so the flat base is level with the case head.

Presto! an adjustable snap cap.

The nylon cushions the firing pin and lasts just about forever. If it does wear, screw out a little more, sand flat, back in, and continue snapping.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Sport45

Quote:
Or make the dummy rounds like the military has... Drill a couple holes in the case then there is no mistaking it for a live round or vice-versa.
That's what I do. I don't want my dummy rounds looking like a once-struck dud that might go off the next time it's fired.
Old March 2, 2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Shoney

I use Sho-Goo to fill the primer holes. It dries and takes a second coat to make the goo primer flush. The goo is much denser and lasts longer than silicone.

Drilling the case gives a final touch along with indelible black coating.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 2, 2009, 07:29 PM   #11
firewrench044

I trim and insert a pencel erasor into the primer pocket then use a magic marker ( green ) on the extractor grove and on the bullet at the case so that the snap caps will not be confused with a live round
Old March 2, 2009, 07:34 PM   #12
oneounceload

Another for pencil eraser - works well and is easily replaceable compared to silicone