The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2015, 07:07 PM   #26
Homerboy

Glock has spent the last 30 years calling their product "Perfection". Adding a safety option, as S&W and Ruger has, would be against that theory. They're too arrogant to do it.

Look at the new Glock 43. For YEARS, people have wanted a single stack Glock. Only after the success of the Shield, the LC9, the CM9, etc, did Glock offer something comparable. Years too late, but Glock fans will still call it the Second Coming.
Old April 29, 2015, 09:27 PM   #27
Fullclip610

If glock had a safety on their guns I would own one. Seems like the little tab on the trigger isn't much of a safety. On the trigger isn't the best spot for a safety considering if something gets in the trigger guard it would most likely depress that tab as well.
Old April 30, 2015, 12:20 AM   #28
dakota.potts

I can use a double action with no safety or a gun with a good 1911 style safety. I have to drill more with the single action with the safety to become comfortable with it, but I can.

What screws me up are the backwards safeties offered by companies like Beretta. I would recommend you stick with one direction of thumb safety if that's your thing.

I still prefer DA/SA with no safety, like my CZ
Old April 30, 2015, 07:57 AM   #29
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy
Glock has spent the last 30 years calling their product "Perfection". Adding a safety option, as S&W and Ruger has, would be against that theory. They're too arrogant to do it.
Or maybe the Glock haters are just too arrogant in their mistaken beliefs to do a little research. Could it possibly be that the purchasers of the best selling and most copied pistol in the last 40 years actually don't want a safety option?

Quote:
A thumb safety Glock pistol. Built as part of Austrian Government trials, who were uncomfortable with the notion of external-safetyless pistols. Ultimately, the Austrians chose a passive-only model and the rest is history.
Quote:
During the initial Austrian Army trials of 1982, the Army wasn’t used to the fact that a military weapon could be issued without an external safety. So the Army requested a trial pistol with one and sure enough, Glock produced one for them to examine. The conclusion was that it was not needed, but one of these pistols exists today in the National Firearms Center, Leeds, England.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-safety-glock/

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy
Look at the new Glock 43. For YEARS, people have wanted a single stack Glock. Only after the success of the Shield, the LC9, the CM9, etc, did Glock offer something comparable. Years too late, but Glock fans will still call it the Second Coming.
Years too late for what? You believe that the market is saturated and no one will buy them except Glock collectors?

Last edited by 45_auto; April 30, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old April 30, 2015, 08:50 AM   #30
Shephard

I don't dislike Glocks because of the absence of a safety lever; I have other reasons. Concerning autos without safeties, I never wanted one until recently when I checked out the new Ruger LC9s pro. After purchasing, it became my favorite EDC. I simply determined to never remove it from the holster unless I needed to clean or fire it.
Old April 30, 2015, 09:45 AM   #31
btmj

DA revolvers don't have manual safeties, and DAO pistols rarely have manual safeties. So it is not a huge stretch to accept a partially-cocked striker fired pistol with no manual safety. And the large numbers of Glock, XD, HK, Walther, and other pistols clearly show that many many shooters agree... and I understand that some of these are actually fully cocked, but that is a different discussion.

I love shooting my 1911, but it is a range gun, a target gun, a steel plate gun. For defense purposes I chose a gun with no safety (Glock, Walther PPS), or a DA/SA gun with the safety off (FNX), or a DA/SA decocker with no safety (SIG).

1911 fans often tell me that getting comfortable with a manual safety is a training issue. Fair enough. But learning to comfortably and safely live with a no-manual-safety pistol is also a training issue.

Like many things, it comes down to personal preference and what each of us is comfortable with. There is a right answer for me, and there is a different right answer for you, but there is no one right answer for everyone.

Jim

Last edited by btmj; April 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old April 30, 2015, 12:19 PM   #32
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I can fully understand not wanting different safety directions; up can be either off or on or down can be?

I personally sold off all of my pistols with up as fire a number of years ago just for this reason; not to mention that I do like my 1911s.

So, muscle memory seems to be important to some folks.

I propose that we bring out a "remote control/computer keyboard" safety. Think about how many of us are pushing the "enter" button on computers and remotes!

If safeties were just push the button simple. No direction... just push.

Then we could be discussing whether the "right hand pinkie" safety was superior to the "right hand thumb" safety! And the south paws would once again be left out in the cold!

I fully support a free market system and am happy that we still have choices regarding this topic!

As per the original question, NO safety for me for either S&W or Ruger model listed. But hey, that's just me...

Now, go figure...
Old April 30, 2015, 05:42 PM   #33
Bongo Boy

I think the only reasonable way to answer the OP's question would be to survey dealers. But even doing so, I wouldn't expect the accuracy of the response to be very good at all--maybe +/- 20% unless it was a tiny dealer who actually knew details. In that case, the answer wouldn't be of much value either because it would likely not represent the market--assuming that's the objective.
Old April 30, 2015, 06:17 PM   #34
Homerboy

Not a "Glock Hater", although I am used to being called one by Glock Fanboys. I've owned 2 of them, a 19 and a 26. Just seen too many people who equate the word "Glock" with "firearm" and buy one because the FBI and cops use them, so they must be the best. They are probably the worst choice for new gun owners. No safety, no hammer, and requiring a trigger pull to disassemble.

And I have yet to see ANYBODY show up to the range wearing a S&w t- shirt and hat, while carrying a S&w range bag. Glock seems to have cornered the market on Navy SEAL Mall Ninjas. And thank GOD for the Glock entrenching tool and Glock pistol bayonet too! How did our boys in WW II dig all those foxholes without the official Glock entrenching tool? Think about how many could have been saved at Bastogne if they had one!

As for the 43 being too late, just what is the advantage to it over a Shield or LC9-S? Fatter, bigger, less rounds, more expensive. And probably about to have issues like the 42 did when it came out.

Most copied in 40 years? How about most copied in 100? How many companies make 1911's?

Last edited by Homerboy; April 30, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 1, 2015, 01:27 AM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

If GLock had been around in WWII, they would have been on the other side, anyway. SO, no GLock entrenching tools for the boys at Bastogne, unless they captured them!
Old May 1, 2015, 09:13 PM   #36
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Sold Ruger Pro

Today I sold my new,unused Ruger lc9s Pro.7 weeks ago I bought it to"upgrade" my main EDC,a well proven lc9s.But for some reason I,even with G42 part of my pocket rotation,I could'nt do it.Thanks to all your replies to OP,I saw that I too wanted that manual safety.