The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
IMTHDUKE

Boberg

Anyone actually have one of these? Anyone fired one? Anyone seen one? Pricy but looks unique design. http://www.bobergarms.com/
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old September 21, 2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Theohazard

I've seen one, disassembled it, and played around with it a bit, but that's it; I never fired it. It seems like it's a design without much room for error. The cartridge is pulled backwards from the magazine at the fastest point in the slide's movement, the beginning. To achieve this without ripping parts of the case rim off, the initial slide movement has been slowed down, I believe mostly by a rather lengthy rotating barrel lock-up. In addition to having more moving parts, it seems to me like it would be finicky about feeding different pressures of ammo: too much pressure and the feed claw loses its grip on the case rim; too little pressure and it can't overcome the lengthy unlocking mechanism.

I'm not discounting the Boberg at all, it's a pretty cool design. But the benefit (the ability to fit a longer barrel into a shorter weapon) doesn't seem to be worth it unless it ends up being as reliable and durable as a traditional design.

Last edited by Theohazard; September 21, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:22 AM   #3
raftman

This guy does a pretty thorough review after having bought one and fired it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEdn23C95aQ&feature=plcp
Old September 23, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4
alienbogey

I have two, both low serial numbers, one to use and one to sit in the safe and get more valuable.

It's a very well made, quality pistol in an amazingly compact package. The perceived recoil, in 9mm, is less than or equal to any .380 I've ever fired. It is, for instance, much more pleasant to shoot in a range session than my LCP.

The "yanking backwards" way it pulls rounds from the magazine can cause the bullet to separate from the case if you don't properly crimp your reloads, and there are reports of that happening occasionally with cheap imported ammunition. Good crimps with your press and quality ammunition solves that. Rounds appear to load backwards in the magazine but that's easy to figure out, too.

So, load the magazine, pop it in, chamber a round, and you have a beautifully made, amazingly compact DAO 9mm with full size 3 dot sights
and the perceived recoil of a larger, heavier pistol while it's only slightly bigger than an LCP.

I like it.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:55 AM   #5
wpsdlrg

Boberg.......... more like "Costs a lot of $$ - Berg" !!

THAT for a pocket pistol.....of dubious advantage over any other model ?

(shorter at the muzzle, but longer at the back of the slide.....for about the same over all length.....what an innovation !)

Oh and the muzzle velocity advantage they tout....ONLY comes with the longer barrel option, which extends out from the front of the slide.....and NEGATES any size advantage. The standard "snubbie" model has no such advantage. It's just a much more complicated (and potentially problematic) pocket pistol....for a lot more $$.

Future collector's item or no......you can have my part of that.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; September 23, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Rugerismisticness

I like the concept, but the pistol is too small and honestly a bit ugly as it is. If they gave it a 6" barrel or a little longer and changed around some other things, I'd like it.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Crankgrinder

was at the range just 3 weeks ago when an older man walked up with one to shoot. We talked about each others guns and 1911s and such then he let me try the one he had. shot one mag out of it. Accurate, DAO trigger had a nice snap to it, gun seemed well built it was a very unique piece.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Oh and the muzzle velocity advantage they tout....ONLY comes with the longer barrel option, which extends out from the front of the slide.....and NEGATES any size advantage. The standard "snubbie" model has no such advantage.
Looking at their website, their XR9S model has an overall length of 5.1" with a standard barrel length of 3.35" For comparison, the Kahr PM9 has an overall length of 5.42" with a barrel length of 3.1".

So the XR9S, in spite of being a third of an inch shorter than the Kahr has a barrel length that's a quarter of an inch longer.

The Rorhbaugh R9 is 5.2" long and has a barrel length of 2.9"--in spite of being a tenth of an inch longer than the XR9S, the Rorhbaugh's barrel is about half an inch shorter--0.45"

The Walther PPS is 6.32" long and has a barrel length of 3.2". So the XR9S is 1.22 inches shorter than the PPS but has a barrel that's actually 0.15" longer.

I'd say that the facts seem to justify the velocity claims Boberg makes about the XR9S--even with the standard length barrel.
Quote:
shorter at the muzzle, but longer at the back of the slide.....for about the same over all length
I think if you compare the numbers to other common, or even uncommon 9mm carry pistols, the overall length does appear to be quite short.