The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Slugo

went out yesterday to shoot...

got as far as MickeyD's and that was it. Had a burger, fries and a cold Coke, then went home. Way too hot outside. The heat is murder and we are looking at well over 100F on Saturday!

Looks like I'll be watching old movies...
Old July 6, 2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Virginian

You get used to it. On the weekend I have found that if I don't get up and get out and get hot early in the morning like a work day I feel lousy all day now.
Crazy weather. It's cooler down here than it is up North. Hi today 90 and lower 70s at night. Yesterday evening after i got home I sat outside and there was a nice breeze and i watched the dogs puttering around for quite a while.
Hang in there. I hear Obama has a bill coming up to modulate the weather.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I skipped shooting last weekend because it was hot. This one's gonna be hotter. They're calling for 108 tomorrow.

I may still go, the Jones is kicking bad.....
Old July 6, 2012, 06:11 AM   #4
dalecooper51

I shot Wednesday and the heat got to me.

I may just stay in the AC and do some reloading this weekend.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

I shot yesterday, and it was pretty miserable in the lanes. Made it through about 100 rounds and decided to call it quits. I'm glad I was the only person there, though - more warm bodies and guns being fired would have only made it hotter, I'm sure.

Going back again on Sunday, though.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:37 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

Sometimes it's not so bad if the humidity is down. Here in the great lakes state it's 69% and at 80 plus degrees, like walking into a brick wall going from the cool to the outside
Old July 6, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Method

Shooting in the Indian Island Open today in Nebraska...supposed to be a heat index of 103. So does that type of heat do anything to affect patterning, shotgun performance or other mechanical factors?
Old July 6, 2012, 10:49 AM   #8
zippy13

Greetings Method, and welcome aboard.

The main thing I worry about in hot weather is getting perspiration on and in my gun. You might want to hang a golf towel from your belt if your hands sweat like mine.

Good luck at the shoot.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:50 AM   #9
the rifleer

When i first got into shooting i was pretty hard core about it and went out when it was 110 in the shade and went shooting for an hour. Now if I don't go early in the morning or late in the evening it just isn't enjoyable to me.
Old July 6, 2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Woody55

I shoot pistols and 22 rifles into a really big downed tree maybe 100 yards from my door. I have a plastic chair (that I first check for spiders) that I keep in the shade. I fire a magazine, then sit down in the chair, drink some water and read a book until I cool off.

It's only been over 100 a time or two this summer, but it kept me shooting last summer when it was over 100 all the time.
Old July 6, 2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Slugo

maybe that idiot Al Gore was on to something...
Old July 6, 2012, 04:48 PM   #12
cajun47

i love the winter. i hope we get one this year.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:12 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

What a bunch of wimps! Heck, even if we had a high of 84 I still lunched on flautas down by the lake. Of course I stayed with sweet tea.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:15 PM   #14
rjrivero

I stepped out the back door to shoot a few magazines. Then stepped back in to have some lemonade.

Ideal place: acres outside of town, but close enough to have cable and high speed internet.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:53 PM   #15
Al Den

Yeah, over a hundred in my neck o'the woods tomorrow too.

JUST coincidently I returned a low-volume copy of Last of the Mohicans (don't know where our other went) at WalMart and ended up with (I'm sure also a second copy of) The Patriot, plus Robert Rodriguez' Dusk Till Dawn, Bangkok Dangerous, and a documentary on The B1-B bomber (Lancer, right?) and the The SR-71 (The Blackbird came up at work today).

I'll probably be forced to watch Gone With The Wind -- I have managed NEVER to see the entire, long, boring, thing and I can tell you it isn't appreciated here. I'm really running out of excuses though...

108 in Maryland? Little high for you guys isn't it!? Hope the power's back at least. Don't put the air lower than 78-degrees though -- the rest of us need that current and the nation seems to have less and less of it for a higher price over the past few years!
Old July 6, 2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

108 is high here, but not unknown.

Never lost power. Where we live the lines are buried and we're like 8 miles from the power plant.....
Old July 6, 2012, 09:25 PM   #17
egor20

105 here tomorrow, we've been on generators for the last 4 days, that's a first. Oh yeah and to busy and to hot to shoot.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 6, 2012, 09:33 PM   #18
riggins_83

When the weather gets hot here I remember why I pay for an indoor range membership!
Old July 6, 2012, 09:44 PM   #19
SHR970

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

I get to drive 3 hours to the desert to play. Shooting in 100 - 115 + temps is the norm de geurre for those of us that like to shoot at range (100+ yards with a rifle and targets of opportunity with a shotty. Otherwise, I get to drive for 1 -2 hours, stand in line and wait my turn for another 1-2 hours for my turn at a round amongst the snob factor.

Some of us have precious few places we can shoot unrestricted or unmolested. That means high desert /BLM land....and a multi-hour drive. You get little sympathy from one who's county has more people than 41 of the states.

Suck it up!

Last edited by SHR970; July 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:50 PM   #20
gvw3

temp.jpg

This was yesterday in suburban Chicago area.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:10 PM   #21
shortwave

I did SHOTS poolside today.

Didn't pull the trigger on a thing.
Old July 7, 2012, 11:51 PM   #22
misterE

We've been over 100 for 2 weeks now in Arkansas. I frame houses for a living. Also no rain for 25 days straight. But that's supposed to change tomorrow finally and next week looks like highs in the mid 90's. Now that will feel like air conditioning.

The thing that always gets me is how people will try to tell me there is not that much difference between 100 and 110. They have obviously never worked 8 hours in it. When it's 100 for the high, that means at 9 am it's about 85. When it's 110 for a high, at 9 am it's already at least 95. The prolonged exposure to high heat is what kills. We have been lucky enough to have water hooked up already at the jobs we've been on lately. There's nothing like getting your head under the water hose ever so often.

Another cool thing about the job we were on last week is that it was in the country, and we had permission from the homeowner to shoot guns. I have an old model 42 Winchester shotgun I've been thinking about buying, and I got to shoot it a couple of mornings when I got to the job site at 6 am. No neighbors for at least a quarter mile. Feel kind of sorry for anyone trying to make a living selling fireworks in these parts over the 4 th. burn ban, firework ban big time because of how dry it is
Old July 8, 2012, 05:51 AM   #23
rebs

When it gets over 95 I stay home and head down to the man cave foir some reloading. Also may head to the lake and fish for walleye, the lake temperature of 72 always provides a cool breeze. Being retired I get to choose my days to shoot or not to shoot, I have all week.