The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2002, 12:42 AM   #1
HKguy9

New Benelli Taclights

Anyone seen any of the new Benelli foreends? Do they cycle any better than the older ones, which made the Benelli a little finicky?
Old October 21, 2002, 10:49 PM   #2
jthuang

Skunk,

You got me on this one. Is there a new Benelli fore-end other than the 617 Responder?

Justin
Old October 21, 2002, 11:01 PM   #3
HKguy9

Thanks for the e-mail Justin.

I looked at the Surefire page and the one shown above is the 617 (with constant on), but I swore the Surefire that hte Wilson 870 had, had a gray and textured (kinda ribbed?) portion of the handguard, maybe for ergonomics.

I'll try to go to Turner's and look at it again, Surefire sure can be slow updating their webpage, last I checked they don't have the E2es yet.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:00 AM   #4
Duke of Lawnchair

I was wondering the same thing.

Hopefully someone will get one and report back.
Old October 22, 2002, 09:55 PM   #5
jthuang

Hmm....

Gray sounds familiar, although not with regard to the Responder line of lights. Back when the Surefire M500A and 500B (weaponlight system for the AR15/M16 rifles), full-auto users complained that the M4 handguards that were integral to the Millennium system were melting under full-auto fire. Surefire responded by changing the polymer compound used in the handguards, but the heat-resistant compound turned the normally black handguards into a greyish-black color.

Since then I heard Surefire found a way to produce heat-resistant polymer in true black so the current M500s are black and heat resistant. My M500A is one of the old black models without heat-resistant polymer.

Now shotguns generally don't produce as much heat as full-auto M16s, so I cannot imagine that Surefire thought a change to heat-resistant polymer was in order. Maybe the gray grip is something else.

Justin
Old October 22, 2002, 10:13 PM   #6
Bruce626

Two weekends ago at a 2-day shotgun school, I had a fellow shooter with one of those new Surefire foreends.

I got to handle (fondle) it, but not shoot it. The owner was one of the fastest, but not the most accurate, shooters in the multi-target, rapid-fire COF's.

The gray color is of dubious significance, but the cross-ribbing and ultra-smooth action apparently produce results. On the other hand, the owner seemed to be a fanatic about point-oiling certain parts of the gun... so maybe all that I was seeing was the result of a good lube job... but he was able to hold on to the foreend and rack it very fast despite the oil.

If it didn't cost more than my entire accessorized and ammoized shotgun, I'd consider buying one. If I had a Benelli.

--Bruce.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:30 AM   #7
HKguy9

I called a gentleman at Surefire today.

He said the new foreends (they exist for the Benelli) are 617FAs. The A suffix is the new design handguard and all of them are being made like that now. They go for between $250 and $300.

Looking at www.1sks.com it looks like there is something coming out later, the 617FGA, has a secondary switch for disabling the momentary switch.
Old October 24, 2002, 01:06 AM   #8
Duke of Lawnchair

thumbs up

Nice work, Skunk. I'll be sure to look out for the new Surefires.
Old October 28, 2002, 08:19 PM   #9
SIGarmed

Does surefire make them for the M3 now or is that a no go?
Old October 28, 2002, 08:33 PM   #10
HKguy9

I haven't seen but Jack and caca for the M3...oh, and Jack just left town...

You can get a Weaver rail for your barrel, but I prefer not to have wires running around.