The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 23, 2001, 03:17 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

CZ Questions

I originally hadn't really considered the venerable CZ, but the more I read about it the more I like. Besides that, it looks good.

I'm thinking of the CZ-85 (because I'm a lefty), with the Satin Nickel finish (because it looks so good). I have a few questions, though.

-The CZ-85B has a firing pin saftey, to make lowering the hammer safer, whereas the CZ-85 Combat does not. Is the single action btrigger better on the CZ-85 Combat as a result?

-How are the sights on either model? Do they have easy to see dots on them, like the late model Glocks do, or are they just flat black? Are the adjustable sights on the Combat model solidly constructed?

-I've been told you can make the CZ-85B have drop free magazines by "flatting the magazine saftey spring". How does one do this? Where is the spring located?

-In case I just want to get the drop free sping from CZ-USA, how do you order things from them? They don't have a phone number on their website. Should I just order parts from CZ Connection (where I plan on having my dealer order the gun from)?

-The CZ-85 Combat has "trigger overtravel adjustment". What does this mean, exactly?

Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to like the CZ line. They have a very wide variety of pistols at remarkably competitive prices. Just out of curiosity, how are the CZ clones, like the Witness? (I'm not getting a Witness, but I know someone who might.)

Also, I know there are a bunch of other guns that take CZ-75 magazines.

-TZ-99
-Witness 9mm
-HS 2000 (I think)

I've also heard that the CZ will accept Baby Eagle/Uzi Eagle/Jericho 941 magazines (which are available for less than factory CZ-75 mags). Is this true?

Thanks again!
Old December 23, 2001, 03:39 PM   #2
spooker609
Retired Screen Name

I'm right there with ya nightcrawler, I went to a gun show today and was looking at a couple of CZs and Clones OMG. I now know what my next pistol must be definately CZ
Old December 23, 2001, 05:08 PM   #3
Eric Larsen

Great choice for a lefty...85 is an awesome gun...

Answers..I dont think single pull is different, however d/a pull will be better with no block.

The 3 dots on CZ's are good..not great, but pretty good. I paint
my front dot.."dayglow" orange, its works well. The sight on the combat is an excellent sight..same as they use on CZ race guns

The drop free mag job takes about 5 minutes..take the grips off, take out the mag brake (mounted behind the mag in the grip housing), straighten it..cut about 1/8" of the bottom tab and install again...very easy..or you can order a drop free brake from CZUSA phone # 800-955-4486 Or go through czconnection..up to you!

Trigger overtravel = as you pull the trigger, the hammer drops at a certain point of trigger pull, overtravel is the range of trigger pull left after the hammer drops until you run out of trigger pull.
You can adjust how far the trigger pulls back...if this is an everyday, carry or defensive gun...dont adjust it. Most benefit for the adjustable overtravel is for competition/race guns.

Most clones are good guns...tanfoglio in italy makes the frame and slides for the witness, eagles, springfield 9...etc. CZ's are
rumored to be more consistant and better quality..but I hear good
things about some clones.

The cz will take alot of "clone"mags...however if you look around..
go to czforum.com..in the classifieds..mec gar mags for sale..they
will work in your 85 very well...you ought to check out czforum.
Most of the mags are priced closely..but cz factory mags are a little more....

I have a compact 75 and an 83...cant decide which to get next...
hmmmmmm. My compact has a wolf recoil spring, slide ramp modification, polished feedramp and throated chamber, sight mod. and Hakan grips on the way...oh and a hi cap mag. My 83
has had minor work to it also...they dont need it..i just tinker too
much...shoot well and enjoy your gun....you will like it!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old December 23, 2001, 05:36 PM   #4
Nightcrawler

So the question remains...CZ-85B or CZ-85 Combat? I'm not sure just yet. The drop free magazine thing can be made to my liking without cost on the 85B, so that's not a factor. The Combat costs more, and I don't really need "trigger overtravel adjustment." However, apparently, the Combat has a better trigger without the firing pin saftey, but I think I'd feel better WITH the firing pin saftey.

Leaning towards the regular CZ-85B, in Satin Nickel finish. $398.00 from CZ Connection, plus say $15.00 for shipping, and my dealer's $40.00 transfer fee. About $450.00, delivered. Not bad at all. Still cheaper than a Beretta.
Old December 23, 2001, 05:43 PM   #5
Eric Larsen

In all honesty the "combat" should be renamed...the features are mainly geared toward competition shooting. The only feature that I like is the extended mag release and the sight. My guns are mostly carried...so no combat. The 85 is a great gun....let us know how it turns out. shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old December 23, 2001, 05:48 PM   #6
CastleBravo

I'd go with the B model myself, in my experience the firing pin safety doesn't affect the trigger quality at all. The triggers are pretty good to begin with (on par with Beretta and SigSauer) and improve quite a bit after giving them some time to break in. After about 300 rounds my CZ-75B has a smooth DA trigger and a nice, crisp SA pull of just under 5lbs.

The consensus seems to be that the best 15-round magazines are MecGars, wich are about $40 a pop last I checked. Since MecGar makes the OEM magazines for SigSauer and other major companies, they are top quality. The factory magazines are good too. My CZ-75B has been 100% reliable so far and seems to be an absolutely top-quality piece.

http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/cz75b.htm
Old December 23, 2001, 06:26 PM   #7
slickpuppy

The firing pin safety system...what some call a firing pin block... will actually add 1.2 pounds worst case to the trigger pull of the gun. Of course, this is based on a universe of 6 CZs that I have dealt with and the best case is somewhat less.

I believe it may be attributable to the amount of Pilsner Urquell the factory workers consume prior to working on the guns. These can be kick tail guns or internally they can look like pure hell.

They are VERY workable guns with respect to trigger pull reduction. Your smith will hate you, but will be quite proud of their end result.

You should be too.
Old December 23, 2001, 10:47 PM   #8
Coltdriver

The 85 B Combat is a more finished gun with some nice features. In addition to the goodies mentioned above the outside of the gun is slightly "melted" giving it a very nice feel. It is also very nicely finished inside.

If you intend to carry with it I would not opt for the combat. The firing pin block is removed to improve the trigger. Great for target shooting. Not too cool for carrying loaded in your car for example.

Any CZ is good, fortunately they make em in lots of flavors.