The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2015, 12:27 PM   #1
brycealbright

Any Software For Keeping Inventory & Load Data You Might Recommend

Actually, I am more interested in keeping inventory than load data. Anyway, would value your thoughts on this. Thanks, Bryce.
Old April 2, 2015, 01:09 PM   #2
cwall64

I looked for a while, but didn't find much. There is a RCBS Android app (I do not think RCBS makes it - looks an independent developer), but it wouldn't work on my tablet or phone, kept giving errors. I just fell back to an Excel spreadsheet. Still customizing it...
Old April 2, 2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Ccctennis

App

Gun log SPC app for iPad is pretty easy to use for inventory.
Old April 2, 2015, 01:36 PM   #4
jj320

software

I use "reload buddy" has area for loads and inventory. if just looking for inventory you can use excell program
Old April 2, 2015, 01:41 PM   #5
rclark

Simple spreadsheet works great. Get to put what you want in it, not someone else's idea. I of course use Libre Office's Calc. Also have a document on each of my guns that I want to keep track of any special notes, pictures and such.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 2, 2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Jim243

For keeping records of my load data I use Lee Shooter, works well for load information, as to inventory that is a horse of a different color.

I have tried pretty much every thing and it does not work because it has to be kept up to date.

Now here is a novel idea, get yourself a box that holds index cards and a packet of cards. Since we are only talking about inventory and not load data it would be easy to indicate quantity and location on the card. Then when you go shooting, just pull that card and indicate how many rounds used and what the balance is. That way there is no forgetting to turn on the computer and wait for it to re-boot just to mark your spreadsheet.

Jim
Old April 2, 2015, 02:38 PM   #7
BigJimP

I just set up simple Excel spreadsheets.../ easy to do .... you don't need much experience with the program .
Old April 2, 2015, 02:47 PM   #8
McCarthy

I use Reloaders Reference. It's database packed with load data and other goodies including an inventory system, developed by a reloader who offers his software for free. Works excellent.

http://reloadersrfrnce.sourceforge.net/
Old April 3, 2015, 01:58 PM   #9
berettaprofessor

I use an Iphone app called "Prep & Pantry" for ammo inventory....nice program with the advantage that it scans bar codes. It was designed to be a "preppers" inventory of goods, but it works well for ammo.

For both firearms and reloading formulas, I use plain old Excel. it's always going to be around and my firearms database has hyperlinks to pictures of the guns and receipts, as well as formulas to calculate value.
Old April 3, 2015, 02:11 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Excel or any other spreadsheet. Access will do as well. Both keep inventories. That's their purpose.
Old April 3, 2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Road_Clam

I just created individual Excel spreadsheets for my daily shooting data , and my component inventory such as powder and bullets. Excel is awesome for sorting the data based upon a specific criteria. Ex : If I want to sort in ascending order my best grouping of shots in .300 win mag using only H1000 powder Excel can do it instantly. Or I might want to sort best grouping, all calibers using only Win 748 powder and so on. PM me an email and I can send you my Excel shooting journal file. I have over 300 entries so a LOT of great data !
Old April 4, 2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Marco Califo

+1 Excel
You can make it do anything you want that you can type in or express mathematically.
Excel has a wealth of built in functions like Standard Deviation, and other statistical, financial and data analysis and manipulation tools.

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Merad

I've been thinking for a while about making a program for exactly this purpose. Free time to actually do it hasn't been in abundance sadly.
Old April 5, 2015, 12:44 PM   #14
Clark

10 years ago my pen pal in Maryland decided we should exchange inventory lists of bullets and swap surpluses.

At that point I had the basement rec room floor covered with containers of reloading supplies, with a few trails to get around.

It looked like the inventory effort cost was going to dwarf the value of the bullet swap.

I knew he has a 45/70.
So I said that I have mass qualities of 350 gr Round nose soft point Hornady .458" bullets blems. I have not shot any [and still have not shot any 10 years later]. What ever you send me, I will send the same number of those bullets.

This is not too different from how I cheated my way through programming classes in college.

What ever task you can imagine, there may be a way around it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 5, 2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Gunnels

I have a rather large Excel spreadsheet that I use for load data, cartridge inventory, and bullet inventory. Would be willing to share if you PM me.
Beretta Cougar 8045F, 8040D, and 8000D
Old April 6, 2015, 08:45 PM   #16
Ccctennis

Xcel

I have a spreadsheet that has my inventory of components. I keep it in a dropbox account that way i can view it from anywhere I'm at. Great for looking up which powders I'm low on while out at store.
Old April 6, 2015, 09:22 PM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
Excel or any other spreadsheet. Access will do as well. Both keep inventories. That's their purpose.
+1 and most likely already on your PC
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 7, 2015, 06:49 AM   #18
Gravedigger56

I use AmmoTracker on my iPad.
Old April 7, 2015, 07:18 AM   #19
TimSr

I've got a notebook that I started in the 80's. Was thinking about transferring it to MS Works in the 90's. Now I'm thinking about how many times database and spreadsheet software has changed since I started, and will probably keep adding pages to my notebook.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Don P

Notebook and pencil, keeps the load data and round count in one easy place on the bench.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 10, 2015, 12:07 AM   #21
bushrat1

Another vote for Reloaders Reference. A bunch of great information and easy to use. Did I mention it's free?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/
Old April 10, 2015, 12:32 AM   #22
Bozz10mm

For keeping the inventory, good old MS Excel works for me. Probably work for load data too.
Old April 12, 2015, 07:46 PM   #23
grisbald

This is what I use for my load data and firearm collection. Keeps track of live ammo. And when you make some reloads, it subtracts inventory used. Been using it for a couple years, great program(s).

http://www.burnsoft.net/
Old April 13, 2015, 06:33 AM   #24
Gravedigger56

Quote:
Another vote for Reloaders Reference. A bunch of great information and easy to use. Did I mention it's free?
Too bad they don't have an Apple version.