The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 31, 2015, 12:29 PM   #1
wachtelhund1

Initial Comparision between Vortex Diamoundback and Older VARX-111

Just thought I would share my initial thoughts and comparison between a brand new Vortex Diamondback 4X16 42mm and mid-1990's vintage Leupold VARX-III. First off I've always liked Leupold scopes and have a five VARX-III's purchased during the 90's and several VX2's purchased more recently. My VARX-III's purchased in the 90's all have custom reticles that where installed by Premier Reticles. One problem with the Leupold VARX-III's; being older and my eye sight not what it once was, my VARX-III's have run out of focusing adjustment for my eyes, requiring me to use glasses when shooting them. Which I do not like to do when hunting.

I also own numerous Nikon Monarch's, Sightron's SII's and SIII, various Burris, Redfield, Weaver and Nitrex scopes. My last several new purchases have been Sightron scopes and several Weaver Nitrex scopes on close out sales. I wish I had bought a dozen of the Nitrex TR-1 scopes when one Shooting Supply closed them out at $99.00 each.

Anyways this is my first Vortex scope for my current AR build project. I decided I would try a Vortex scope based on all the good reviews. I purchased a Vortex Diamondback 4X16 42mm BDC. It arrived yesterday and I opened it today. Quality looked very good. Since I'm still waiting for my AR barrel, I thought I would do a side by side comparison with one of my Leupold VARX-III's. I used a VARX-III's 3.5X10 50mm which was sitting in a draw. I started with each scope set at 4x and ran them up to 10X. I live in northern WI and the ground is covered in snow so I was viewing trees at ranges from 150 to 500 yards. I had to look at each several times to discern any difference. The detail of the tree bark was very similar between the two scopes and I could not discern any difference. However, the twenty year old VARX-III provided a slightly brighter view, the snow being whiter than the Vortex Diamondback HP.

As for tracking, durability and low light performance, I'll have to wait until my BHW barrel arrives.