The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
privateer1939

opinions on polychokes

gentlemen

can you give me your input on polychokes for my shotguns.........i would like to minimize the carrying of several screw-in chokes for my many shotguns and its more economical.

thankyou
Old July 7, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

Aside from the subjective aesthetics which will vary from person to person, the Polychoke can add some extra weight right at the end of the barrel which will have a major impact on swing dynamics- making the barrel feel even heavy to swing than the weight o the device

If you like your current swing dynamics, you might not like what happens with the Polychoke

I am assuming you are talking about the one that screws into an existing choke tube thread
Old July 7, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Gehrhard

Never used the screw-in ones but will probably be picking one up for a lumbering 20" 870.

As for the traditional ones? LOVE 'em.
Old July 7, 2011, 09:14 PM   #4
columbia_shotguneer

About 4-6 months ago I was trying to find a polychoke that wasn't threaded. Years ago people used to silver solder or jb weld them on barrels without threading. Called the company, a rep. informed me they quit production of those kind years ago.
Old July 8, 2011, 12:25 AM   #5
zippy13

Typically, a shotgun choke (fixed or screw-in) has three basic sections: the entry, transition (constriction), and exit. The entry (the bore section) and the exit (the muzzle section) have parallel walls and the transition is conical. With most manufactures, the angle of the cone is fixed and its length varies. The longer the conical section, the more constriction there is. This is not the case with the Poly-Choke. With adjustable collets, the transition is not conical, but curved. The more constriction, the tighter the curve, and the more off-axis its terminus. I'm skeptical about their claim,"Testing proved to pattern as good as or better than factory choke tubes." If this were the case, why don't we see them used on comp guns?

Oneounceload's comment about added weight at the muzzle is valid. However, I suspect the same thing may be said for some of the monster extended choke tubes on the market these days. Many shooters may not have the experience to evaluate their gun's swing characteristics. My first shotgun came with a Poly-Choke, and I shot a lot of holes in the sky with that gun. For the casual shooter, a Poly-Choke may be a viable option to a pocket full of expensive screw-ins. For me, no thanks… been there, done that.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:12 AM   #6
columbia_shotguneer

Forgot to mention, when I called the rep. I never ask if they put the un-threaded on a sent in barrel for them to install. Just I wanted a choke is all.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7
AllenJ

Poly-Chokes have been around for a long time and do work. I grew up shooting a Wingmaster with one and while patterning reloads I proved it to my satisfaction. The only bad thing I can say about them is how ugly I think they make the gun.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:57 AM   #8
BigJimP

Its a poor substitute for changeable screw in chokes ...and it changes the balance of the gun ..and they're ugly ...but other than that - no issues ..