The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2005, 08:38 AM   #1
kingudaroad

pistol case prep questions

I have fired my first reloads and everything went well. I used new winchester brass in my 44 mag. I'm now preping the once fired brass for reload and hava a couple of questions. After tumbling there is still carbon inside the cases. Is this a concern?All my brass has a slight bulge about 2 tenths above the case head.Is this normal? My brass has shrunk and some are slightly below trim to length.(I'm assuming this is from the bulge. After resizing the bulge seems to be better,however ther is still a visible ring 2 tenths above the case head and some cases are slightly shorter than trim to length.Any concerns here?
Old September 1, 2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Everything you describe is normal.
Tumbling will not clean the inside of the cases very well.
The bulge after firing is where your brass expanded to seal the chamber back to the point at which the inside taper made it too thick for the chamber pressure to expand.
Standard resizing dies do not reduce the case all the way back to new factory diameter, they just bring it down to where it will hold the bullet and enter the chamber again, so there is some left over expansion "bulge."
Cylindrical brass actually shortens in use unlike bottlenecks which stretch. The only reason to trim revolver brass is to get everything to the same length for a uniform crimp. I have never found brass out of the same lot to get enough different to matter and have only trimmed mixed magnums for uniform crimp.
Old September 1, 2005, 09:13 AM   #3
kingudaroad

Thanks a bunch Jim. I'm back to full speed ahead!