The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Can most shotgun powders be used in pistol loads?

I have been using Longshot as my pistol powder for a long time. I noticed that on the jug it says that Longshot is a shotgun powder.

Now I see Alliant Promo being used for 9mm, with Red Dot data. It is sold at Natchez shooters and the 8lbs jugs sell out in less than 15 minutes.

Is it true that most shotgun powders can be used for pistol? There is the metering issue, since I notice that most shotgun powders are flakey, but .1 grain difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me or for most shooters; plus, I use 90% of my pistol loads in my subguns, so accuracy is of not an issue for me.
Old September 3, 2014, 08:48 PM   #2
arizona98tj

most? Not sure what all that could encompass. However, I currently use Red Dot for my .45ACP loads and use to use Blue Dot in one of my magnum handgun loads. Friend of mine loads 9mm with shotgun powder (sorry, forget what it is but it isn't one of the Dots).
Old September 3, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3
skizzums

I cant think of any shotgun powders that aren't used in some kind of pistol as well. I know I have 5-6 different "shotgun" powders, but have never loaded a hull. the only one I haven't found a use for is titewad, but i'm sure others have found something for it
Old September 3, 2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Archie

The General Answer is Yes

Powders are sorted by burning rate.

"Fast" powders are typically used for firearms with high expansion rates, such as shotguns and handguns. The slower the powder,the better it works in the lower expansion rates of carbines and rifles.

In fact, if anything, shotgun useful powders are - on the whole - faster than handgun powders. For instance, "Clays" is a fairly popular shotgun powder. However, the only use in handguns is for small charges in 'target' loads, as trying to get high velocities for 'high power' handgun loads results in too much pressure too soon.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 3, 2014, 09:46 PM   #5
std7mag

Bear in mind, there are some powders for shotgun, that do not list a secondary use(aka pistols).
Aliant Steel, and 410 come to mind.

I use Longshot in the 40S&W, and 45ACP, along with Blue Dot, Unique, and True Blue.
Not all at once, of course...

Depends on what I'm trying to do with the round.

Using Longshot, and Blue Dot for my carry rounds with the hollowpoints in the 45, Unique for carry with flatnosed.
Old September 3, 2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Archie covered it pretty well.

It's been my personal experience however, that I don't quite get the results I want with shotgun oriented powders.

All the "Dots" for instance (Red, Green, Blue). Red is spikey. Green isn't much better - and hard to find data for. And Blue is - well - it's Blue Dot . Actually, good pistol rounds can be made from all of them. They just have their quirks, shall I say. And I think their quirkiness is related to them being shotgun powders. Just my guess.

At any rate, I tend to get more consistent results and can load through a broader range with true pistol powders.

Oddly, Unique I believe, was originally marketed as a shotgun powder. The exception that proves the rule, I guess. (Unique is among my all-time favorites.)
Old September 4, 2014, 02:35 PM   #7
BigJimP

Sure, a lot of more typical "shotgun" powders have published loads for handguns as well...and some typical "handgun" powders have loads published for shotguns as well....

It depends on what you want to do with the load...bullet weight, velocity, control recoil, etc...
Old September 4, 2014, 03:14 PM   #8
rclark

Yep... Red Dot I like for my 1000fps .357 loads, Green Dot for my 900fps .45 Colt loads. Tested in other .44 calibers as well with good results. Not much of a fan of Blue Dot, but a lot of people still like it. Also found 20/28 is a good Unique substitute as well as Universal Clays. Also been shooting Clays too. Good pistol/revolver powders. Don't know about the rest, but assume there probably is an application for them other than shotguns.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 4, 2014, 03:17 PM   #9
A400 Fan

Unfortunately - for those of us who primarily load shotgun - the answer is yes. I'll take exception to the statement above about Clays - I have used it for everything from 32 to 45 and the accuracy is great - just try finding some though........
Old September 4, 2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Gary L. Griffiths

Back in the day, Red Dot was my go-to powder for loading .45 ACP.

Now I use Clays for 9mm, .38 Spl & .45 ACP. Works great, burns clean!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 4, 2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Clark

I like Red Dot for 45/70 quiet loads with metal fillers.
I have worked up LONGSHOT to case destruction in 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 sig, 40sw, 10mm, and 45acp without finding anything special.
I have blown up a 32 S&W Long revolver with LONGSHOT without finding anything special.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 4, 2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Back in the day, Red Dot was my go-to powder for loading .45 ACP.
I agree. Although I'm not a fan of Red Dot, it does seem to behave well in large caliber, low pressure cartridges.
Old September 4, 2014, 06:56 PM   #13
A400 Fan

Like 12 gauge target loads!
Old September 4, 2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Average Joe

These days you have to use what you can find. Not always the best application.
Old September 4, 2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Ozzieman

I don’t know if every powder made for shotguns can be used in handguns, but if a reloading manual lists the powder then they have tested it and its ok.
Herco is a shotgun powder and for target loads for 44 special and 45 LC I use more of it than any other powder and lately it’s been easy to find.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/herco.aspx

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 4, 2014, 10:48 PM   #16
Machineguntony

Based on the info in this thread, I've been searching shotgun and powder data. I think, based on what I am seeing is that literally every shotgun powder can be used in pistol. I have not run across shotgun powder that didn't have some sort of pistol data, even if the pistol data was unpublished by the manufacturer.

Yeah, it kinda sucks for shotgun reloaders, but in this environment, we pistol shooters have no choice.

Any time shotgun powder goes up on gunbot, it disappears in less than 15 minutes.
Old September 4, 2014, 11:24 PM   #17
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Yeah, it kinda sucks for shotgun reloaders, but in this environment, we pistol shooters have no choice.
Actually, you might say the shotshell loaders are depleting the supplies for the pistol shooters. I use 3 - 4 grains of Clays in my pistol cartridges, while I use 17 grains per shotshell!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 5, 2014, 07:23 AM   #18
A400 Fan

But, those pistoleros shoot 10X more ammo (also resulting in less lead shot ), and before these panics, they were quite happy to leave out shotgun powders alone
Old September 5, 2014, 05:16 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

Quote:
A400 Fan Said: (Referring to Red Dot) Like 12 gauge target loads!
Ahh. Good point.
Old September 6, 2014, 01:40 AM   #20
Shootest

Quote:
But, those pistoleros shoot 10X more ammo (also resulting in less lead shot ), and before these panics, they were quite happy to leave out shotgun powders alone

Yea, but we only use about 1/4 as much powder for each round. Thus get more bangs per pound.