The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 16, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Joe Chicago

Buyer's remorse... almost

I recently bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .308 with a 24" barrel, and after one trip to the range to break in the barrel, zero the sights and shoot my first group (1.25 inch with Rem CoreLokt) I have been happy with it. It is accurate, well made and the trigger is wonderful (but then I am partial to two stage triggers). Since I hunt in the hilly woods of Western PA in stands and on the ground, the only things I do not like about it are 1. it is heavy and 2. it does not have a detachable magazine. I bought it for $425.

Today while buying ammo at Dick's Sporting goods I handled a Savage package rifle in .308 with a synthetic stock, detachable magazine, 22" barrel and Nikon scope for $549. I think it also had an Accutrigger, but they do not remove the trigger guard for customers at Dick's. Though in the past I did not like the feel of Savage rifles, this one fit perfectly. It is obvious that Savage is working to improve the aesthetics of their rifles with a clean locking nut on the barrel and bolt release relocated to the front of the trigger guard.

Sooooooo, I had a pang of buyer's remorse. I just bought a well made, accurate .308, but for climbing into stands and making quick shots in the woods a lighter rifle, with a shorter barrel and detachable magazine would be perfect. Some time in the future I could always have a gunsmith cut down the Vanguard's barrel and Legacy sports sells a detachable mag kit that fits it (although it won't be flush). While I could easily afford it, I cannot justify two .308 rifles for the same purpose. Also, I just spent two hours at the range to break in the Vanguard, and it has the best trigger I have ever felt.

Your thoughts?
Old September 16, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
coyota1

Keep it. Nothing wrong with a non detachable box mag either. Gives it cleaner lines.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
BloodyBucket03

Research

A few years ago I purchased a Savage 10FP Law Enforcement .308. it's an absolute tack driver!!! At the time I was leaning towards the Remington 700 Police .308 so I started to do my homework on both guns. It took me a few weeks of reading & talking to shooter's who owned both rifles & I decided to go with the Savage & I have no regrets. If you have regrets you could always trade the Weatherby in for a Savage but I love my 10FP it's a hell of a precision instrument.
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36
Old September 17, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Picher

I like Vanguards also, but they are noticeably heavier than Remington 700s and comparable Savage rifles.

Because I've had 700s for so many years and like the way the stocks fit me, I'll continue to buy them, but am impressed with Tikka T3-Lites for carrying and ergonomics. They've gone up in price in the past few years, however.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:29 AM   #5
dos0711

Quote:
I cannot justify two .308 rifles for the same purpose.
I probably can't justify half the guns in my safe. But I don't feel I HAVE to justify them. I like them and that's all that needs to be said. If you like the Savage, buy it. Keep the Vanguard as a backup.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:00 AM   #6
tobnpr

For a quick handling rifle, Savage makes a nice Scout model...they market it as a LE rifle...but sounds like it might fit your needs. And since it's a bit more "different", might be the excuse you seem to be looking for to buy a Savage...
Ghost ring sights, LER, or traditional scope mounting.

20.5" barrel and a detachable box mag.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCMSCOUT
Old September 17, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
AllenJ

Quote:
Your thoughts?
You have a sporter rifle that'll shoot inch and a quarter groups with Remington factory loads right off the shelf....and you're not happy!

Enough said
Old September 17, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
hooligan1

You got a good deal on that S2, The rifle is heavier because the barrel is a little fatter than most rifles. Also you will come to appreciated the blind magazine, the one in mine works flawlessly and is very smooth and guess what,,, nothing to fall out of your rifle and scare that buck dude...
Old September 17, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:

I probably can't justify half the guns in my safe. But I don't feel I HAVE to justify them. I like them and that's all that needs to be said.
Same here. If the question was "want vs need", I'd have stopped accumulating (long) guns after I got my Remington Model 760, chambered in 30-06, my Marlin Model 39, chambered in .22rf and my Ithaca Model 37, chambered in 12 gauge, fifty years ago. But what would have been the fun in that?
Old September 17, 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
coyota1

Justify having 2 guns in the same caliber????? I have had several 223 bolt guns at one time, and I didn't feel redundant. I practice practice practice. I don't just practice with with a 22 lr, I shoot what I hunt with. There is no such thing as having too many guns period.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:17 AM   #11
DaleA

Quote:
Well I always figure that's what my FAMILY is for. And I mean extended family. What if my uncle or aunt or my wife's cousin or my son-in-law's cousin showed up? What would THEY shoot? You could say it's all about being a polite and considerate host.

And what about when I pass? Are some of my kids and grand kids and great grand kids going to get NO guns just because the old guy didn't buy enough when he could? Well that's just sad.

(I figure when I have to work hard to justify a purchase I'll just enjoy it that much more.)
Old September 21, 2012, 09:40 PM   #12
FairWarning

Not enough to worry about IMO. The Weatherby is a fine, fine gun and indeed has a fine trigger. As far as weight, I personally don't fret about hunting rifles...I suppose lugging a M60 would get tiring, but honestly, a bolt action rifle is no biggie and a longer barrel improves ballistics.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
45YearsShooting

My advice is to keep the Vanguard and be happy. Use it for several years. If you think you'd like another rifle years down the road, you can always sell it and buy something else. That's the nice thing about guns; they don't lose a lot of their value over time.

In the future, if you want a light accurate rifle that is also a good value you can't do much better than a Tikka T3 Lite.
Old September 24, 2012, 01:07 AM   #14
coyota1

Yes, and often guns gain value over the years.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:57 AM   #15
jhog1

You'll never loose a non detachable magazine !
Old September 28, 2012, 04:12 PM   #16
30Cal

I don't like a detachable magazine on a hunting rifle--it means you have to purchase and carry a spare. I never saw a use for one on a bolt action.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:28 PM   #17
coyota1

30Cal, Why would a responsible hunter/gun owner loose a magazine? I've never lost one.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:22 PM   #18
30Cal

"Has anybody seen my magazine? It was on the table here next to my gloves last night."

or

"Aghhh!! It's in my other jacket!"

"I must have left it in the car / on the roof / on the table."

"Maybe it fell out of my pocket when I was crossing the fence."

I'll admit it's unlikely to bounce out the rifle itself.

But, I have lost a magazine from a holstered pistol while riding a tractor.

Last edited by 30Cal; September 28, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:30 PM   #19
coyota1

I like the look of a bolt gun with out a mag hanging down. That's my gripe about the CZ. If they only didn't have that magazine hanging down, they would appeal to me more.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:21 AM   #20
hooligan1

Even if I loose the magazine, I can still put one in the pipe!
Old October 3, 2012, 09:27 PM   #21
langenc

So the Vanguard is eavy and has a longer barrel. So what.

Seating on a stand the weight and barrel length dont mean anything. Keep the one you have.

Buy more ammo and get more comfortable/accurate with it and all will be well.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:36 PM   #22
Joe Chicago

After going to the range again I no longer have buyer's remorse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weatherby CoreLokt Group.jpg (217.9 KB, 40 views)
Old October 4, 2012, 10:13 AM   #23
warbirdlover

I'm glad the new version 2 Vanguards have a good trigger. The version 1's I looked at had a gritty, grindy, long travel, horrible trigger.

Super nice group Joe!!
Old October 6, 2012, 02:18 PM   #24
Deja vu

I believe in keeping your calibers simple. I own 22 guns now and all of them are 45/70, 357, 22LR or 12ga. I figure its easier to stock up on 4 kinds of ammo than it is 20 kinds of ammo.

Look at it this way. If there every is a major collapse and one of your guns breaks or is stolen you ammo will still work in the other gun.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...