The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Shooterspitch

Unbelievable Glock Shot

So driving down a CR yesterday, we spot a coyote in the field. With no rifles it looked like he was free to go, but my buddy Brad who just got his concealed license here in Oklahoma says he'll get him with his pistol. We sorta laugh, but me knowing Brad has a unreal shot with just about anything in his hands, even a Glock 23 who I've seen consistently shoot cans at 100 yards with. Well the coyote was trotting, quartering away, we hit the truck horn, coyote turns, and BOOM, coyote drops dead. Head shot at 151 yards. Most amazing shot I've ever seen and we've dropped varmint at 1k+ yards all the time with rifles. This was different. He had his compact glock 23, and I swear if we did it again, he would shoot that damn coyote again. I just wanted to share, it was amazing.

Here is my buddy with the yote.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
chris in va

Wow, that is an amazing shot. If I tried that with my G21, it would probably hit the dirt 50 yards in front of it and mow it over like a bowling ball.

Not sure how it works but there's a bounty on coyotes here in KY. Also where I used to live in VA, depending on the county they'd pay $50 per.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Catfishman

Great shot!

What kind of sights?
Old November 14, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
HoraceHogsnort

DO NOT, under any circumstances, get into a gun fight with your friend!
Old November 14, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

You never know. We were shooting at some clay pigeons set up about 100 yards away with a 10/22. There was one left and the rifle was out. So I pulled my Glock 26, fired a shot and hit it. Just child's play, I postured as I reholstered.

Seemed enough shooting for today. Let's get a burger and a beer.
Old November 14, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6
JayCee

A good shot to be sure, but I guess I don't see the point in killing something simply for the sake of showing off...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old November 14, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7
HKFan9

You can currently kill 75% of the coyote population and they would still be over populated... there is no closed season on them.... so I don't see how that is just killing one to show off... they saw an eligible animal to shoot so they shot it.
Old November 14, 2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Charger Fan

Quote:
A good shot to be sure, but I guess I don't see the point in killing something simply for the sake of showing off...
I agree.
I guess I could see it, if there happens to be a major Coyote over population problem in the area & they are either starving to death or eating all the farmer's chickens.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:49 PM   #9
MTT TL

Quote:
I guess I could see it, if there happens to be a major Coyote over population problem in the area & they are either starving to death or eating all the farmer's chickens.
There is. They are just giant rats really. In a lot of state there are bounties for coyotes to get people to shoot them down, like... coyotes.

Amazing shot BTW. I am curious what the load was, sounds like a good load to have.
Old November 14, 2010, 02:49 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

That is why they are called varmints.

Quote:
var·mint
noun \ˈvär-mənt\
Definition of VARMINT
1: an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 14, 2010, 03:24 PM   #11
losijon

not saying your not telling the truth but a head shot on a coyote at a football field and a half? some military sniper unit should be knocking on this guys door!!
Old November 14, 2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Chris_B

Screw sniper school, with that eyesight Brad should be a fighter pilot

Nice shooting
Old November 14, 2010, 03:33 PM   #13
boredom

150 yard head shot with a pistol? thats luck more than talent.
Old November 14, 2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
There is. They are just giant rats really. In a lot of state there are bounties for coyotes to get people to shoot them down, like... coyotes.
There was a bounty on them for a long time here in Michigan. Last I heard they were talking about putting it back on. Hope so. Sounds like a good job for a retiree.
Old November 14, 2010, 03:55 PM   #15
JayCee

Quote:
That is why they are called varmints.
I know all the reasons for shooting varmints. The guys I know who varmint hunt do so on their own land or with the permission of the landowner. They don't shoot from a vehicle on a public road across someone else's property. That's not responsible firearms use, and it's probably illegal.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old November 14, 2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Don P

Tain't squat. I shot the poop of a gnats rectum at 200 yards with a NAA 22lr. Top that now and IMO that was a senseless act and again IMO shoot for food not for the hell of it cause its legal.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:54 PM   #17
LOUD

OMG , whoo let the bleeding heart liberals into this forum?
Old November 14, 2010, 06:07 PM   #18
mitchell koster

MAN TALK ABOUT FORUM POLITICS!!!!

THEY ARE VERMIN!!! AND PROVIDE A GOOD SPORT FOR VARMITERS!!!

If you think about it this way, i would imagine that there are HEAPS of yotes in the US and it would be simple to get rid of the over whelming numbers if you made people eat what ever they shot!!! In Australia there are MORE wild pigs in Australia than the whole population thats way to much bacon to eat!!!

Great shot by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MK
Old November 14, 2010, 06:25 PM   #19
armoredman

I will try to cover both sides. One, that was a great shot from a compact auto at that distance, well done. Two, coyotes are indeed a varmint with bounties on them in many locations. Three, in a farmers field who probably suffers tangible losses due to these varmints, well, all i can say is I don't know the hunting laws in that state. It may be perfectly legal to take that shot against a known varmint predator. In AZ it is illegal to hunt anything from a vehicle or shoot across a road, but, the OP and shooter AREN'T in AZ. So, if the shot is legal, then excellent, well done, I wish I could shoot that good!
Last question, this shot was taken from inside the truck? Anyone have permanent hearing damage?
Old November 14, 2010, 06:50 PM   #20
dreamweaver

at 151 yards i would have trouble telling it was a cyote.
what if it turned out to be the farmers dog?
Old November 14, 2010, 07:23 PM   #21
mitchell koster

151 yards is that far at all!!!!
Old November 14, 2010, 07:38 PM   #22
EdInk

I don't know about the legality or luck for that shot. Nice shot none the less though. I agree with hunting for food and population control. You can buy a fancy trophy at the sporting goods store. (Now if you tag a nice one for the aforementioned reasons by all means mount it BUT don't hunt for only that reason.)

Valid point about identifying your target! If had been a farmer's dog you brained from the car, I would feel little sympathy about anything done in response by the farmer. (IMHO had you killed Ol' McDonald's mutt AND he decide to make a sequel to Deliverance....you asked for it.)

Overall, I am impressed if the shot was done by talent but still think it would have been more responsible to let that one go until next time.
Old November 14, 2010, 07:40 PM   #23
Sevens

Yep, coyotes are becoming a problem here in not-so-rural Ohio. Take 'em out if you have a safe shot.

Sounds like a helluva shot!
Old November 14, 2010, 07:44 PM   #24
LanceOregon

Quote:
In AZ it is illegal to hunt anything from a vehicle or shoot across a road, but, the OP and shooter AREN'T in AZ
Judging from the photo it looks to me that they were driving out on agricultural land on private property.

We have similar laws in Oregon against shooting across roads and from vehicles. But they don't apply to any shooting done on private property. They only apply to shooting across public roads and on public property.

So I don't see that anything illegal was done here.

Quote:
Last question, this shot was taken from inside the truck? Anyone have permanent hearing damage?
Dude, in drive-by shootings, you stick your handgun OUTSIDE the window when you shoot. You can still effectively brace your arm against the door's window opening to help your aim. But the proper technique is to have the handgun completely outside the vehicle.

I made a similar shot to this one several years ago with my Glock 17 while out on a farm in eastern Oregon. Only it was no where near so spectacular. It was just a common cottontail rabbit, and the range was only about 35 yards or so. Still a small target, though, so I was pleased by the kill.

I just rolled down my window, took my Glock out of the glove compartment and stuck it out the window, and then braced my arm against the door to steady my shot.

Last edited by LanceOregon; November 14, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 07:47 PM   #25
LanceOregon

Quote:
at 151 yards i would have trouble telling it was a cyote.
what if it turned out to be the farmers dog?
Coyotes look nothing like domestic dogs.

Besides, domestic dogs don't spend their time out in the middle of agricultural fields digging for rodents, like Coyotes do.

Closed Thread