The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 27, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
wambsgan

FPF Training Concealed Carry for Self-Defense Review

This was a two-day, 16-hour class. Four hours in a classroom setting and 12 hours on the range. The in-class setting was held by John Murphy, the owner/instructor for FPF Training. John went through a lot of very valuable material in four hours, ranging from when to act and when to stand down, but more importantly, how to avoid a negative situation to begin with. I don’t know how long it took John to put together his slide-show, but it was impressive to say the least. I originally walked in thinking I could handle myself in a defensive situation, but within the course of a few hours and a few videos, I soon realized I did not know as much as I thought I did. John gave a great history lesson and short legal overview regarding what to do and what not to do when the shooting ends in a defensive situation. Falling asleep was not a problem. I was not bored at any point in time, but if I was, rest assured that John’s voice would cure that. For a man of maybe five-foot seven – and I am being nice – he is loud! His points ring clear in your mind by the end of class.
The range is no-frills. There are no facilities, and it is hot out there. He provided a tent for shade and a wood-line for a head. Range work started with dos and don’ts and protocol. We worked on our draw with snap-caps provided by FPF Training. This is where John melds his personality together – a little bit friend, some comedian, a dash of drill sergeant, and a hand-full of a new brother. John worked patiently with folks who didn’t get it at first. There is no room in his class for ignorance. He puts you in real life or death situations. I am not a trusting person, but by the end of Day 1, I was hot, tired, and had found one more person in the world I could trust.
Day 2 was way more intense. We were given real life situations to deal with. John would try to trip you up by escalating a situation to where you think at first you should shoot, but if you listened, it was not the case. Again, hearing John, even with ear protection, is not a problem. He was less patience on day two – as he should have been. Guys (including myself) were screwing up simple commands. John repaired us all with a little yelling, and constructive criticism, and a dash of self-worth. Within an hour, he had us all on track, and ready to stand our ground and defend ourselves. We rehearsed double-taps, right and left step-and-shoot, shoot while walking backwards, and a host of other drills that would take too long to write. By the end of Day 2, I would have walked the meanest streets with confidence with any one of the students in that class. As a bonus, John believes every American should know how to operate an AK-47. So John, being himself, provided one AK-47 and ammo and instructed each person individually on how to load, and operate one in the event you ever needed to. This was a great touch, considering there are so many in use in the world we live in today.
This was the most important class I have ever taken. I’m happy that I placed my life, and my family’s lives, in John Murphy’s hands. In my opinion, the $250 for his course is a bargain. This class will change the way you think and act, you will learn more than you ever thought you would. I cannot stress enough if you are thinking of taking a defensive hand-gun class, strongly consider this one. I am definitely proud to say I trained under John Murphy and will do so again in the near future.

www.fpftraining.com

Written by Joe
Old April 30, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
cerberus12

I too took an FPF training course

I too have taken an FPF training course (25-26 April 2009) and I agree with everything the first poster said. John Murphy was a great instructor who made sure we were all safe on the range, were having a great time, and most importantly, making sure we were learning something.

I highly recommend John Murphy and FPF Training and am looking forward to taking another course (or three!!) from him.

Cerberus12