The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
familywgn

loaded cylinder question

I was talking with a friend today about BP shooting. And I asked: "If you have an extra cylinder, can you load it and leave it around to shoot later?" He was stumped.

Can you?

Thanks for the help
Old December 9, 2005, 08:55 PM   #2
MPP1423

Yes You Can,just Dont Put The Caps On Till You Are Ready To Load The Cylinder In The Frame Cause If You Drop It It Could Be Bad!! I Leave Mine Loaded For Months At A Time During The Hunting Season With No Problems.
Old December 9, 2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Remington kid

Yes, I agree with MP1423 . Mine are loaded most of the time and with no problems. It's not a good idea to place the nipples on them but I do for a couple of reasons. I like to seal off the nipples or you stand a chance of moister getting to the powder. If you go that rout you are taking a chance of dropping it and maybe hitting somthing hard and discharging that cylinder.
When I load a charged cylinder it's always over my bench and about 6" above the bench or if I'm in the woods I sit close to the ground and in a soft spot.
I'm not adviseing that anyone do it this way , I'm just a little crazy
Old December 9, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
familywgn

Cool thanks for the quick replies.

Old December 10, 2005, 01:01 AM   #5
MPP1423

and mike calls me crazy!!!!!! lol.
Old December 10, 2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Low Key

If it weren't for crazy people, the normal ones would get bored!
I do the same as mike though, I often keep a spare cylinder loaded and am very careful not to get careless when handling it and loading iinto the gun. I also like to be near the ground when loading in the gun in case my fingers slip. I don't recommend doing it this way, especially if you are new to bp shooting or if you tend to get lazy about safety.
Old December 10, 2005, 07:30 AM   #7
Remington kid

MP1423, Look whos talking!!! I'm not 5' tall and go around trying to handcuff gangsters that are a 6' 6",#300 hill-billy high on meth. Only a crazy man would want that job! That's like sitting on a powder keg with a lit cigarett.

Low Key is just as crazy as all of us . He feeds wild critters in his back yard that can bite! I'm going to send him a couple of my "Wild and Wonderful West Virginia Bear" to play with I'll bet he would keep that Remington on his side all the time,

Familywgn, Don't pay any attention to us, were just a couple of down home good old boy's without a lick of sense. Just be careful with that piece and have fun. I have left my cylinders loaded for many weeks at a time with no problems and I spend several days a week in the woods in the spring and summer tracking Bear. The humidity is bad and many times I have been in the woods in rain and got soaked with my Remington on my side and spare cylinder in my pouch and never had a problem with them.
Old December 10, 2005, 10:38 AM   #8
MPP1423

Low Key,your Right I Guess.lol.

Mike,these Big Guy Aint That Bad Cause They Dont Expect A Little Guy To Have As Much Sand As I Do So It Gives Me The Upper Hand Cause They Aint Ready For It.my Dad Brought Me Up This Way."it Aint The Size Of The Dog In The Fight,but The Size Of The Fight In The Dog"!

Mike ,im Trying To Talk Myself Into That .31 From Dixie But Here At Xmas Time Im Thinkin I Might Ought To Wait,but I Have Till The 31st For The 129.00 Price.i Sure Do Want It!! Lol.
Old December 10, 2005, 01:15 PM   #9
Remington kid

Kevin, My wife and I raised 7 kids and now we have about 15 grand kids . christmas is not a happy season for me( Just kidding) but it sure is for the little rug rats,Lol.
It kind of takes the wind out of my sails for buying power untel after the first of the year. Oh well, They all come first and they are worth it.
My 61 .36 will have to wait also.
Old December 10, 2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Steve499

Well Kevin, you are definately a bad influence on me! I just ordered one of those .31s. I will have to get that original two cavity mould back from my son and cast some original bullets and balls for it. I have a few out in my shop I kept from when I was experimenting with the pointed bullet in my .32 rifle. That was pretty much a failure, by the way. Anyway, the pointed bullet, I think they called it a pickett bullet, is .320 in my dial calipers. That is around the middle, the heel is smaller to start in the chamber easier, I guess. The round ball is about .311. If you wind up getting a .31, let me know and I'll send you some pickett bullets from an original mould to try out in yours.

Steve
Old December 10, 2005, 10:13 PM   #11
familywgn

not to be rude, but you guys fight like an old married couple. Does the BP affect everyone in this manner????
Old December 10, 2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Remington kid

familywgn, yep, we tease each other now and then but that;'s the way it should be. I hate these sites where people are always running each other down. Nothing wrong with disagreeing now and then as long as the discussion ends before it gets out of hand.
We have a bunch of good guy's on here and I for one hope it stays that way! Welcome aboard and jump in any time. Just a few rules to follow:
No picking on cops or x-cops.
No picking on old guy's.
No picking on guy's who live on dead end streets and feed wild critters.
No picking on ranch hands.
No picking on authors of books.
No picking on people who breath in to much black powder.
We reserve the right to ad or change any of the above rules.
Old December 10, 2005, 11:09 PM   #13
Old Dragoon

Yep Familywgn,
we have a lot of fun on here and there is a wealth of knowledge too. And Yes we bicker some, but then we get over it and everything's OK.
These are agreat bunch of....cops. excops, old men, young men, ranch hands,
Guys on dead end streets that feed critters, authors, People who breath to much BP, and SHOOTERS.

Welcome aboard and there aint nothing wrong with us , with us, with us...er...ah........Sorry too much black powder there for a minute. LOL
Old December 11, 2005, 12:26 AM   #14
familywgn

Sorry, i'm just used to anyone on the net having any a sense of humour.

It good to "see" normal people again.
Old December 11, 2005, 01:35 AM   #15
MPP1423

steve,
thanks for the offer,i may take you up on it.i'll get that .31 dont worry!lol.
Old December 11, 2005, 01:41 AM   #16
MPP1423

hey steve i meant to ask if you got the .31 at dixie?
Old December 11, 2005, 06:39 AM   #17
Low Key

Quote:
Low Key is just as crazy as all of us . He feeds wild critters in his back yard that can bite!
LMAO! Yeah, the critters gotta eat too! I tease my wife by calling her ellie may sometimes, (thats not her real name, and you old timers know who I'm talking about anyway, lol). We have a couple of foxes that show up from time to time and my wife will leave some apples out in the yard for them, she has also taught the rabbits, squirrels, and possums to eat apples when the foxes aren't around. If I start seeing monkeys and alligators out there eating apples, I'll have to put a stop to the critter feedin!
We do have a great bunch of people on here, and can joke around and tease each other without any feelings being hurt. The one thing we all have in common is that we have gotten addicted to blackpowder or its substitutes, once you start, you can't give it up!
Old December 11, 2005, 06:45 AM   #18
Low Key

One of our "pet" foxes...eating dog food...

This one used to come out and eat and then roll over and go to sleep in the yard!
Old December 11, 2005, 10:34 AM   #19
Steve499

Yes, Kevin, I ordered it from Dixie. If they ship as quickly as they normally do, it should arrive the middle of the week. I may not get a chance to shoot it right off, my Dad's having cataract surgery and has to be driven there three sucessive days. I'll let you know how it shoots as soon as I can get to it. I will have to shoot cast stuff from that original mould, which may be a little undersized on the round ball. I'm afraid the picket bullets from it may be out of round. I won't know for sure until I cast some more. The one I measured at .320 also measures about .310 if you rotate it 180 degrees in the calipers.

Steve
Old December 11, 2005, 11:04 AM   #20
Old Dragoon

Steve,
I just figured out that you are in Central Mo. I used to live at Grain Valley, Mo when I worked inBlue Springs. Being a Job Shopper I got around a bit. Where in Mo (Close is good) are you.
I like your "pet" foxes. Pretty neat, we have Coyote, Bobcat, and Cougar, but we don't feed them. LOL I was totally surprized to see a badger one day last year. Didn't think we had Badgers here.
Been in CA for five years and haven't seen but one Rattler in the wild. Lots of Gopher, Blue and Red Racers and Garter Snakes. The Gopher snakes seem to keep the rattlers away.

AH Reynard, the red fox.
I saw a beautiful Red fox one day going the backway into Friendship Indiana. He was on the road jumped the ditch and stood on a little knoll. Biggest, most Red, fox I'd ever seen. Golleee that was 30 plus years ago.
Old December 11, 2005, 05:43 PM   #21
MPP1423

yea steve,let me know how it looks when you get it.i might just have to go ahead and get it.lol.hope all is well with your dad!
Old December 11, 2005, 10:41 PM   #22
Steve499

Old Dragoon, I live in Tipton. That's the place with a black 8-ball water tower on U.S. 50 if you've been through there. I have relatives-in-law living in Grain Valley.

Kevin, I'll let you know what my impressions are as soon as I can after that .31 arrives. I may have to wait some to shoot it. The cataract surgery Dad's getting is pretty routine but requires a visit the day before and the day after so I'm just going to be running a lot. I also may have to come up with something to shoot out of it. I was planning to use that old mould but I can't get it from my son until he gets back home from a job in Fargo, N.D. and after measuring the only 2 pointed bullets I have from it, I wonder if it's going to work. The bullet is bigger where the two mould halves meet. I need to get it and see if there was something on the face that made it not fully close or what. I have several round balls from that same mould and all of them seem to be .311. The original 1849 pocket Colt may have had a slightly smaller chamber and bore than this reproduction.

Steve
Old December 12, 2005, 01:59 AM   #23
MPP1423

well steve,
i just might let you know 1st about the .31 cause i just ordered mine.lol.i told ya i'd talk myself into it.im in tn so it will ship tomorrow and should be here tues.i'll let ya know.i ordered some buffalo .320 round balls too.they didnt have the wads in stock so i guess i'll have to use bore butter.mike will be proud.lol.whats the powder charge on these .31's?
Old December 12, 2005, 02:34 AM   #24
Smokin_Gun

.31? 1863 Rem, or 1848 Baby Dragoon, or 1849 Pocket type?

Had an 1863 Rem ASM from CVA nice little Rev truley fits in your pants pocket. Quite a bit smaller than my 1848 Baby Dragoon...I was surprised. Good Rev I like um. Both take .315" balls. Powder charge 7-10gr if 10 fits in the 1863 Rem. Maybe 12 in the 1848 BD
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 12, 2005, 07:07 AM   #25
Remington kid

Kevin, How big does a .31 wad have to be? I may have a leather cutter the right size and I have plenty of wool/felt for wads. Maybe steve knows. I know it sounds like a dumb question the chambers are not always right on and it's better to be a little on the large size.