The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 5, 2015, 12:17 PM   #51
Tucker 1371

A Barrett M82A1... Outside the military it's pretty darn useless for any purpose other than making money disappear quickly. That said I love mine.

OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 5, 2015, 02:18 PM   #52
Bucksnort1

Colt46, you may need to explain "fugly" to some readers in a way that's acceptable for this program. I've used and heard the term a zillion times but seeing it in print is funnier than using it verbally.
Old February 29, 2016, 07:43 PM   #53
inv3nt0r

Chiappa Little Badger w/ Knife and Fire Starter

I picked up a Little Badger at a gun show recently for CAD $225 taxes in. Naturally, I wrapped it in paracord and added a knife and fire starter (Rothco brand from surplus store).

While the gun is pretty useless (arguably) it has a short length of pull making it suitable for young shooters. Oddly, I have more fun shooting this thing than my .22LR semi-autos. There is something nostalgic about breaking it in half after each shot, maybe a reminder of an old Crossman air rifle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg chiappa-1.jpg (122.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg chiappa-2.jpg (216.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg chiappa-3.jpg (239.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by inv3nt0r; March 1, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old February 29, 2016, 09:28 PM   #54
Llama Bob

There's a big difference between guns that have a purpose but not one you care about (e.g. first guns for young shooters) vs. guns that just have no purpose period. The later group could be further split into:
- non-safe/non-functional designs
- baffling chambering choices (a break-action pistol in .30-06 and a 8" barrel)
- guns so inaccurate they can't be used for much of anything

Then there are guns that are just worse at what they do than the alternatives. The Taurus Judge and Mini-14 are perfect example of that, as are a wide variety of derringers and other dubious pocket contraptions. The Little Badger looks like it's somewhere between not being good at what it does and a kid's gun.

I've never found myself interested in buying guns like that. There are too many well designed guns out there to ever own them all without touching the junk.
Old February 29, 2016, 09:44 PM   #55
Bucksnort1

WMG, if for no other reason, just adding another gun to the millions already owned by Americans should be sufficient. Remember, you can't own enough guns and Americans can't own enough guns.
Old February 29, 2016, 11:52 PM   #56
Kvon2

I love my bolt action .22lr for no other reason than cost. .22lr is cheap and I'm way less tempted to blow through ammo at the range. This takes that concept to the next level lol
Old March 1, 2016, 12:22 AM   #57
Tucker 1371

Quote:
While the gun is pretty useless (arguably) it has a short length of pull making it suitable for young shooters. Oddly, I have more fun shooting this thing than my .22LR semi-autos. There is something nostalgic about breaking it in half after each shot, maybe a reminder of an old Crossman air rifle.
Not sure if you believe in this sort of thing but you might want to find some wood to knock on , hopefully that little survival rifle never has to serve its purpose for you.

This thread makes me sad, I've had to sell my Barret since I posted in it last. Oh well, maybe again one day.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 1, 2016, 09:49 AM   #58
inv3nt0r

More or Less Correct

Quote:
The Little Badger looks like it's somewhere between not being good at what it does and a kid's gun.
That sounds like a pretty good description. I'm pretty sure I bought it because it was such a minimalist design and quite frankly just looked odd.

The length of pull makes it difficult for a shooter of my size to use with the ghost ring sight, but I assume it would be fine for someone between 4 and 5 feet tall. I must say however the trigger is great, and I had no trouble hitting a one foot steel plate from 50 yards with the crappy ghost ring.
Old March 1, 2016, 12:57 PM   #59
wogpotter

Quote:
Colt46, you may need to explain "fugly" to some readers in a way that's acceptable for this program.
Well there's "cute".
Then there's "plain".
Next comes "ugly".
This is followed by "Ugly as Original Sin" (think of the Northern end of a Southbound warthog)
Last of all is "Fugly", which is way, way below, kind of like the evile stepchild of Ugly & really ugly after its been beaten with a ugly stick a few times.
You get the idea.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”