The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Jseime

YAY Hunting

FINALLY, tomorrow morning I am going to get out of bed at 5 AM and dress up in my camo and meet my buddy at the big slough down the road.

We will be accompanied by a Remington 870 and a mossberg 500 and a whole big bunch of 3 inch magnum shotgun shells. Hopefully the geese will be coming off the water and into the field of lentils we will be laying beside. I am so excited that hunting season is here, there is something to hunt from now until december
Old September 18, 2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Jseime

Well, we got three geese, two for me and one for my buddy but something was odd.

We were out in the lentil field before it got light set up all our decoys, dark and white facing into the wind. We went into the slough beside where the decoys were, set up a blind made from tall slough weeds big enough that we could both get behind in and cover our gear and for some reason everything worked really well until the geese came just about within range and then they all took off every single time a group would come at us. We caught one loner and a couple out of smaller groups.

My question is how do you set up goose decoys to be really effective? I thought they were supposed to face into the wind, are they? Where should the whites be relative to the dark geese? What kind of cover should we be using?
Old September 18, 2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Wisby

I have no idea about Geese Decoys but Congrats on having something to hunt and getting the 3 ya got.
SSBN 733 USS Nevada (24 of the biggest guns made)