The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 23, 2013, 02:40 AM   #26
Tom Matiska

plus 1 for jackpines rebore idea. Just got turned on to this rebarrel site a few days ago and wish I knew about it two rifles ago. $250 can turn your existing barrel into a 358 Win... nothing wrong with that.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:16 AM   #27
mapsjanhere

I think giving it to your oldest niece for her 18th is the way to go. No cost, it stays in the family, and it will p off some anti-gunners. Restoring a $400 rifle for $250 doesn't sound like a great move.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Tom Matiska

Quote:
Restoring a $400 rifle for $250 doesn't sound like a great move
I was thinking more like $250 to restore a free rifle, but I wasn't thinking about the carrier assembly and cartiridge guide....... a $250 rebore may cost more than a $350 rebarrel.

Used scopes without grandpa's SS number are cheap enough. Engraving on butt plate is a $14 fix. Few hundred solves all problems except the SS on the action. They ain't making any more of them.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:13 AM   #29
jackpine

additional note for you. I've had better luck with heavy for caliber bullets with a long bearing surface if the bore is worn or questionable.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:35 PM   #30
zbones6

Ronbert, if it was my rifle, I would follow previous advice and work up some cast loads. If it still cant shoot worth a damn, oil it up and save it for later.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:52 PM   #31
aarondhgraham

Quote:
I saw someone made a real nice floor lamp out of an old worn out rifle. They screwed the buttstock to a wooden disk to hold vertical and ran the power cord through the bore . they mounted a lampholder and shade in the muzzle . looked really nice.
I build driftwood furniture,,,
I've done this with several long guns,,,
And you don't have to demage the barrel to do it.

Or make a one-rifle display rack,,,
Mount a couple of inexpensive lamp sconces,,,
And you have a very nice heirloom decorator wall lamp.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 24, 2013, 05:11 PM   #32
kilimanjaro

Look at it like it was Grandpa's favorite axe, the one that's had two new heads and three new handles, but it's still Grandpa's favorite and not to be parted with.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:29 AM   #33
TX Hunter

I would keep the Rifle as is. One day there may be a decendant that will apreciate it as part of the Familys history.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:55 PM   #34
GunXpatriot

Agree with others. There is no reason to get rid of a gun. Ever!

Def try it out first, if not replace barrel. If you do replace the barrel, do not get rid of the original barrel. If you sell it one day, someone may want the original one with it.

Last edited by GunXpatriot; February 25, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:04 PM   #35
Ronbert

Man, you guys are a tough bunch!

The best I can hope for in a descendant is that one of my nieces will someday marry a gun guy. That would be just dandy by me but it's a long shot and hopefully 5 or more years away.

I still haven't made it to the range to see if it will shoot well or not. So the story isn't over yet. It's still winter and I shoot outdoors so it may be awhile - especially if it requires multiple trips to find a load it likes.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:40 PM   #36
Ronbert

As those of you who have messed with used rifles probably figured, the gun is just fine.

Range 50 yards- shooting seated at a bench off a toolbox padded with a rolled up mattress pad using factory Federal 150gr spire points yielded a 2 5/8" group diameter for 3 shots.
Limiting factor likely is the gold bead and peep sight against my 4" black bullseye target. Doesn't quite have the precision of an M1 Garand or M1A type sight. *

But this was good enough results for me to proceed to reattach the scope and see if I can do even better with a more precise sighting system.

I'll report back with more results.
Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

* While there I had my young friend shoot my rack-grade Garand. I showed him the High Power stance used for standing and put my 2 rounds in the black on a similar 4" target at 50 yds. Let him shoot the other 14 rounds.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:42 PM   #37
Ronbert

After spending a bunch of time trying to shim the scope mount so that the scope's bell wouldn't touch the barrel I gave up on the original scope and put on a 4X Leupold borrowed from another gun.

Finally the light dawned that I was a major error factor and I bought a front and rear shooting bag so that I was shooting from a really stable position instead of just resting the front on a padded toolbox.

My first sample of my own handloads with round nose 150 gr bullets put 5 into 3" at 50 yds.

The gun is just fine and the scope mount is fine. With this scope I can tune the load then when that's stable can go back to trying the original scope to see if it's broken or needs different mounting.

Gun kicks hard thru the steel buttplate so a LimbSaver is next.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:40 PM   #38
Savage99

If the butt plate is in decent original condition don't put a pad on it. Keep it original and get a slip on pad for the range.

Rather than a rebore consider having the barrel's crown recut by a smith. It's fast, not expensive and may make a significant improvement in accuracy.

Keep the chamber as a .300 Sav. for now.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

Last edited by Savage99; March 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM.