The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 11, 2009, 05:45 PM   #26
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
And just how do you suppose these unions are going to intimidate people?
Pretty much the same way anyone intimidates another person. You do not need the power to fire a co-worker to make their life miserable at work. It is quite easy.

Quote:
nor is it in their own interest to threaten people in this situation.
It is not in their best interest to get the NO votes to convert to YES votes?

NRA Life Member
Old March 11, 2009, 06:20 PM   #27
MrSardonicus

Thank the Lord I live in a non-union "Right-to-Work" state!!!
Old March 11, 2009, 06:31 PM   #28
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Pretty much the same way anyone intimidates another person. You do not need the power to fire a co-worker to make their life miserable at work. It is quite easy.
And where is this happening and how is it happening? Where are the cases of workers being abused by unions? Where are the cases of workers jobs becoming less secure because of unions?

I grew up in a family of coal miners. Some of which remember what it was like before unions. They remember what it was like to be a slave. To work for the company, live in the companies shack, shop at the company store, and never even see you paycheck because of it.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:33 PM   #29
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Thank the Lord I live in a non-union "Right-to-Work" state!!!
Yes, it is nice that some people can suckle off the teet of workers rights won by unions without bearing any of the burden of fighting for those rights or helping support them. These states make these rules that sound pro-worker...like "right to work" that really do nothing but support large corporation's interests. That is a real patriotic way of life right there. Company first, and the worker should just be glad they have any job at all.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; March 11, 2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:43 PM   #30
heyjoe

Also known as the Right To Work For Less States. Workers in right to work states are paid significantly less than workers in the rest of the states.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:23 PM   #31
model67a

intimidation

If this has been brought up I am sorry but my time is limited. I don't understand why a secret vote is so controversial. Individuals are saying the posting of the vote would lead to intimidation by the union, why doesn't intimidation by the employer hold true also. It seems to me if it is a secret vote that it would eliminate intimidation by both sides. I am not going to be affected but it would seem to me that the logical thing would be to have a secret vote and be fair to everyone. stay safe
Old March 11, 2009, 07:47 PM   #32
model67a

interesting

It would be interesting to see what the unemployment rates were in the states that are predominately non-union compared to the states that are predominately union. stay safe
Old March 11, 2009, 08:16 PM   #33
grymster2007

I have no problem with people wanting a labor union to represent them, but why on earth are people who are perfectly willing and capable of representing themselves forced to belong to a labor union? It's crazy! I know the arguments, but they fall apart real quick when logic is applied.

I've belonged to a couple of labor unions in the past and they did nothing for me other than give me the satisfaction that the lazy, incompetent scmuck working next to me made exactly the same money as I and further, I had to carry him, such the the company be successful and me and Mr. Schmuck could remain employed.

In my current job, I'm on the management's contract negotiation team.

My favorite charity is the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation.

Give the unions nothing, I say. Including public votes where they can intimidate people. Don't think it happens? PM me.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:08 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Was I the only one paying attention in the trafficant case?

Quote:
And just how do you suppose these unions are going to intimidate people? Are they going to threaten to fire them?
Maybe looking up some FBI cases against organized crime would be a good idea.

Very simple, hard working people hate being in unions. Lazy people love them. That is one of the reasons the Toyota and Honda workers are happy. THe only people who make it from temp employee to actually working at Honda go through a grueling six months of getting nothing but the shaft. If they work hard and stay on board they become lifetime employees who receive pretty good pay for their education and experience and Honda and Toyota both are very happy with the employees they get. Honda has flat out said they will shut down the Marysville Ohio plant if it unionizes. None of the employees I have talked to seem at all upset about this stance.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 11, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:38 PM   #35
grymster2007

Labor unions once had a noble place in this country and if the government would simply step out of the way, the unions would always have a place.... thriving as employers treated their employees poorly and contracting to the sidelines as employers behave themselves. But for government interference, it would be a self-regulating system. Fact is, the real work of labor unions was finished a long time ago and now, with the help of the government, they simply serve to punish hard workers, reward incompetent slackers and degrade the economy through ever decreasing competitiveness.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:02 AM   #36
OhioAAA

Between both Union & the Liberal administration -- We only need one of them at a time.