The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 18, 2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Hard Ball

I have recently come across a few references to a special Australian version of the US M3A1 grease gun. Supposedly it was a heavily modified version of the American grease gun used by special Australian commando units during World War Two. Do any of our members down in Oz ( or anyome else ) know anything about this gun?
Old February 18, 2001, 08:20 PM   #2
Rex Feral

The Australians had the Owen in widespread use by 1942, it was replaced by the F1 (a Sterling derived weapon retaining the Owen's top feeding magazine) in 1962. Both weapons were superior to the M3A1, and available in numbers to satisfy the Aussie's demand. I don't see why they would need M3s.

Where did you learn about these Aussie M3s?
Old February 18, 2001, 09:16 PM   #3
Hard Ball

From talking to an Australian veteran of World War Two who belonged to an Australian commando force organized to conduct raids on what is today Indonesia and other Japanese occupied islands north of Australia. THey were briefly mentioned in an Australian book he had.
Old February 18, 2001, 09:32 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

It MAY simply have been the M3 with the 9mm adapter kit.

The Grease Gun was pretty quickly converted with, I believe, a replacement bolt, barrel, and magazines. The conversion took about 10 minutes, IIRC.

Don't see why the Aussies would have had the Grease Gun, though, when they had the Austen (Australian Sten) and the Owen.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 18, 2001, 09:55 PM   #5
JoshM75

Owen ?

I believe the Owen 9mm was used extensively by the OZ Special Forces [Z Force, Coast-Watchers, etc] during WW2.

Hard to confuse the Owen for the M3 Grease Gun as they are very different in style and calibre. The Owen SMG was in service with the Ozzies right up to Vietnam in limited numbers.

Down Under during WW2 there was a vast shortage of military firearms, e.g. The NZ Army commandeered privately owned Deer rifles and built "Bren like" LMG's from bolt action Lee Enfield's.

Therefore wouldn't suprise me at all to hear of backyard work shops churning out M3's, but I'd reckon them to be chambered in 9mm.
Old February 19, 2001, 05:51 PM   #6
Hard Ball

It was a .45ACP. The Australian Special Ops people wanted the stopping power of the .45ACP cartridge and as close to totally silent operation as they could get. They did use Thompson submachine guns in Worls War Two so they were quite familiar with the cartridge and its performance.
I was discussing this with an Australian I met recently . He says there defintely such a gun, but it was izsued only to special operations commandos. He said I could see what it looks like in an Australian movie "Task Force Z' in which all members of a Force Z patrol are shown using it. I am busy looking for the movie because if it shows any good views of the weapons it would settle a few questions I have. We shall see.
Old February 19, 2001, 06:28 PM   #7
Long Path

Moving to Full Auto--

This is odd-- I don't think I've moved 2 threads to Full Auto in the last 6 months, and here I'm moving two in less than 5 minutes!

Carry on!

L.P.
Old February 19, 2001, 07:30 PM   #8
Rex Feral

I think the movie you are looking for is "Attack Force Z", a sub-par WWII action movie starring Mel Gibson.

IIRC they used standard M3A1s, probably left over from filming "The Dirty Dozen", to save a little money!
Old February 20, 2001, 01:24 AM   #9
JoshM75

There was a movie [maybe mini series] called "Task Force Z" starring Craig McLauchlan [sp] in the late 1980's. The reason I remember this, is because it's the only movie I've seen where there are lots of Owens.

Can't remember seeing any M3's, but it plays rarely on TV during ANZAC Day mainly.

FWIW: The Owen was produced in .45ACP in very limited numbers but I don't know if it ever saw service.