Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 22, 2009, 02:28 PM   #101
Hirlau

+1 10 Beers
Old March 22, 2009, 02:37 PM   #102
mavracer

Quote:
I fail to see anywhere that I have implied that it was illogical to value anything above your familiy's safety.
here is your statement I bold typed where you said it.
Quote:
That is certainly your choice, and as you said, it doesn't have to be logical. Lots of people have died or been hurt over ego, pride, and other values, and if that is more important than the safety and well-being of your family, then there is nothing wrong with it for you.
Quote:
And I don't think anyone has said a thing about needing to move. The question (as I understand it) is why one would choose to not leave an area that is particularly dangerous to your family.
choosing to leave would be moving.
Quote:
If my family was above a level of risk that I found unacceptable I'd move. Money be damned, esoteric theories on freedom be damned. I mean, we're not talking about fighting a war here. We're talking about the lives of my children.
Which is the problem I have with your ideology. yes we are talking about a war, the war on crime, Good vs Evil and Evil is not defeated by fleeing from it.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old March 22, 2009, 03:51 PM   #103
chemgirlie

Well, for a while I'll still be finishing up my degree, so I have to stay within a fairly close radius of my university. I've never owned a car, and never really needed to, so I have to stay within the limits of public transportation. This limits me to slightly beyond the city limits. As soon as I am able to move I will (for more reasons then crime though).
Old March 22, 2009, 07:14 PM   #104
David Armstrong

Quote:
here is your statement I bold typed where you said it.
Umm, you don't get to cherrypick words from different sentences and concepts, then bold them to indicate that something was said that wasn't. "Logical" refers to your choices, "values" is part of reasons why people have been hurt, and "your familys safety" is yet a third element. Try to deal with what is said instead of making things up.
Quote:
Which is the problem I have with your ideology. yes we are talking about a war, the war on crime, Good vs Evil and Evil is not defeated by fleeing from it.
Oh Good Grief and Yawn, all at the same time. We aren't talking about a war, we are talking about moving for your family's well-being, and/or why some choose not to do so. If you are concerned about fighting a war for Good against Evil, become a priest or a LEO. Deciding where to live doesn't rise to anything close to that level.

Last edited by David Armstrong; March 22, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:31 PM   #105
Stevie-Ray

I live in the Downriver suburbs of Detroit. Been here all my life. Didn't think it was bad when I was a kid; my parents never let on that it was a dangerous area. Got married and moved a little further down river, but there wasn't any houses to be had there. Apartment living was nice, but it's everybody's dream to own their own home, right? Bought a house a block away from where I grew up and right across the street from where my wife had lived. The wife was chronically ill by then, so it was nice that her folks were right across the street, for when I was at work, etc. It wasn't the greatest place to live, but it was convenient, and the job was good. And it was a job that you didn't just walk away from, to move to another state, etc., unless of course, you were being transferred. During layoffs from that job, there weren't jobs to be had, (early 80s) but we toughed it out, I found work and we saved our home. Seems like about the time we'd consider moving, something else would kick our legs out from underneath us. We'd taken our streets back a time or two, when things got a little dicey, I organized the neighborhood watch, and people still generally watch out for each other here. Now that I've been here near 30 years, I hate it. No, the neighborhood hasn't changed for the worse as of now, I just hate city life the older I get. Just as I'm thinking retirement, and ready to get to hell out of here, the economy goes in the crapper. Now retired, I CAN'T leave, at least not for a few years. Houses simply aren't selling here; there's such a glut of them on the market from people walking away from their mortgages.

Quote:
Of course, when it comes to safety I bet many here would easily justify buying another gun or such, even while they say moving would be impossible.
I can't figure this comment out. Uh......YEAH!?! Justifying $500 is not exactly the same as trying to sell your house or letting it go for a fraction of what it's worth. Oh make no mistake, I'm still looking. I just have to be sure I'll be able to either sell my house, or be able to afford taxes on 2 places for several years.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:40 AM   #106
mavracer

Quote:
Umm, you don't get to cherrypick words from different sentences and concepts, then bold them to indicate that something was said that wasn't. "Logical" refers to your choices, "values" is part of reasons why people have been hurt, and "your familys safety" is yet a third element. Try to deal with what is said instead of making things up.
So now your trying to convince me that you don't mean anything.your not putting sentences together to form a concept.That the "choice" in which you are calling illogical is not staying in a more dangerous local not moving to greener pastures.That "other values" would not include staying in the place you already established as home.That anyone not trying to put their "family's safety" above all other values is not acting logical in your opinion.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old March 23, 2009, 09:36 AM   #107
gruntrus

"There's more to it than that. The bleeding hearts, labor unions, the global village types, declining moral values and politicians seeking tax revenue are also responsible to one degree or other. And my list probably not complete either. But to simply blame business for you living in a dangerous area is a bit simple."

I wasn't SIMPLY blaming business, as you put it.
Old March 23, 2009, 11:03 AM   #108
David Armstrong

Quote:
So now your trying to convince me that you don't mean anything.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am pointing out that you are accusing me of saying something that I did not say, and that if one wishes to have an honest discussion they need to deal with what is actually said instead of making things up.
Quote:
That the "choice" in which you are calling illogical is not staying in a more dangerous local not moving to greener pastures.
You are making things up again. I did not call any choice illogical. What I said was, "Perhaps you could explain what essential liberty is being given up if one logically decides to move for the safety of their family or themselves?? "
Old March 23, 2009, 11:21 AM   #109
pax

This thread isn't on topic anymore.

Time to shut it down.

pax
Closed Thread