The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 25, 2011, 03:39 PM   #1
ZVP

.44 LEE Cast Conicals = WOW!

I finally got the chance to fire a cylinderfull of cast Lee RNFP 200g Conicals through my 5 1/2" Piettia/Remington.
All I can say is WOW!
The additional weight of the Conical in front of a 35 Grin Pyrodex load, turned the already strong shooting revolver into a real Brute!
I can't vouch for any accuracy improvement because of my own excitement and shake (shot offhand) and I only had a cylinder-full to try, so all I can say is they shot to the same point of aim at a 7 yard Bullseye. The group was about the same spread. Recoil was awsome!
I decided to try the 35 gr powder charge because since I only had 6 to try, I wanted to see how the revolver shot with a strong powder load... I used Crisco as a flash-over preventative.
Talk about a trigger guard slappin? I got a good one! Recoil was very stout to say the least!
I would rate the 200g Lee Cast bullet to be a VERY good anti-personell load as anything that gets hit solidly with one of these is going to go down! As a heavy hunting load, this charge and bullet would rate in the tops fired from the sturdy little Remington Sheriff Model!
I deidn't have any testing equipment available, (even a water filled jug would have been intresting!) so I can't give any velocity or ftlbs estimates. I can attest to this one being a strong firing, likely very hard hitting load!
The guy who gave me the 6 to try also gave me 6 more for "in case", and I'll hoard them untill I need em.
If you ever want to fire a handfull of power, I suggest grabbing your .44 and loading up a cylinder-full of these!
WOW!!!
ZVP
Old November 25, 2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Hawg

Haven't tried the .44's but the .36's are hard hitting as well but not as accurate as round balls. Not bad mind you just not as.
Old November 25, 2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Andy Griffith

They seem to shoot pretty decent, and hit steel plates hard.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Lee McNelly

here something

take a looke see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0516A.jpg (43.8 KB, 88 views)
Old November 28, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
ZVP

Thanks guys!

I have heard reports of inaccuracy compared to the ball loads and will have to test my individual revolvers to find out which tolerates the load best. Maybe I'll have an accurate one?
I see that there are several different bullet nose styles and I think I prefer the look of the old RNFP best. They look classic! Wheather they shoot the best is yet to be proven...
I shot the Conicals in the 5 1/2" Remington, I can't wait to try some through my 8" Remington! Talk about a Power Load!
I sure would NOT recommend the use of the 200g Conicals in any Brasser! If you want to loosen the gunup in a hurry, they'll do it! It's best to just fire light ..44 Bal loads in Brassers.
I watched my Buddies "60 Army handle a 28g BP Conical load and I noticed the same sort of recoil coming from the big Army!
It's just a heavy bullet and it's going to kick!
I'm still a big fan of Round Lead Balls, because I have shot some pretty good groups with little recoil with them. I'll still shoot the Balls the most, however if I want heavy, powerfull loads, I know what to use!
ZVP

Last edited by ZVP; November 28, 2011 at 03:21 PM.