The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 1999, 06:53 PM   #1
MogulRun

I'm reloading 22/250 rounds, using Hornday 55gr V-Max bullets. I'm resizing the neck only and all dimensions look great. When I seat the bullets with no crimp, I can push the bullet into the case with some pressure. Not with my thumb but against the edge of the bench. Is this normal for rifle cartridge ? I'd wouldn't think so. Everything I've read tells me not to crimp bullets that do not have a cannelure or crimping groove. What should I do let it alone? slight Crimp? Drop back and punt ? Please help If I crimp won't the pressures build up? Is that safe?
Also what about factory crimping dies, is that what there for non grooved bullets?

Thanks
Old July 31, 1999, 10:20 PM   #2
bfoster

Assuming that you aren't using a bushing type neck die, if the neck sizing die is properly resizing your cartridges (likely), it sounds to me as if your neck sizing die expander button is too big. This is easily cured by mounting the decap stem/expander button in a drill, and sanding (with very fine paper- go slow) the expander button to 0.2225/0.2230". Allowing for normal springback in the brass, this will allow normal seating of the bullets.
Old August 2, 1999, 01:14 PM   #3
flatlander

The fact that you can push the bullet back into the case brings up a point - how hard should you push when testing your loads? If you're a big guy, what may seem like a mild amount of pressure might seem like a ton of pressure to a guy with a lighter build. It's a good test, but your results may vary. Measure your case necks after sizing and before seating a bullet, then measure again after seating; if you get about .002" difference, you've got normal neck tension. If this isn't doing the job for your rifle, then you can sand down the diameter of the expander button as described above. Really, .002" should do OK for most situations.
Old August 2, 1999, 04:22 PM   #4
Contender

You wouldn't happen to be using one of those Lee Collet dies would you?

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited August 02, 1999).]
Old August 4, 1999, 03:24 PM   #5
GreybeardB

Mogul.
If you're using V-Max MOLY bullets then the inside of your case mouths will get slick enough to lessen bullet tension. This would a problem if you load from a magazine.... recoil inerita. No problem in my Ruger # 1.
Reducing the size of your expander button, as mentioned above, is ok. And if you're using a collet neck sizer, you can reduce it's size also. And yes, Lee's Factory Crimp die will work ok without a crimping groove. And yes, it will increase pressure,and just may improve accuracy.
You may also have some soft brass that does not hold bullets well.
Hope I've helped.

------------------
Ralph in In.

[This message has been edited by GreybeardB (edited August 04, 1999).]