The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
scissorhands

swivel stud on the stock, accuracy issue?

I have a new Rem 700 LTR .308 I mainly use this gun to shoot paper. I read somewhere on here about resting the rifle on the swivel studs (on a sand bag) effecting accuracy. Can someone explain? Should I just take them off?

Rob
Old January 4, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Consistency in placement of the forearm on the sandbag is what's important and the swivel shouldn't affect anything.

When I've tested my hunting rifles on the bench with sandbags, I like for the bag location under the forearm to be where I'll put my hand when shooting in the field. That's generally just behind the sling swivel--so that's where my front sandbag is always located. Consistency.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Pahoo

Should not be a problem.

Quote:
I read somewhere on here about resting the rifle on the swivel studs (on a sand bag) effecting accuracy.
There should not be a problem or at least, I have not encountered one. The stud just digs into the bag so I don't see where you would get any stresses. What you could do, if you only bench shoot, just take it out and plug the hole. Ace hardware sells a poly hole plug tha just gets pushed in with your thumb and really looks pretty good. This would protect the threads and you can reinstall the stud for hunting. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 4, 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
riche

I wouldn't worry about it after all if you mount a bipod thats were the bipod mounts and where the weight of the rifle will be, however, don't ever rest your rifle on the barrel, that can change your accuracy.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Doyle

There is one case in which resting the sling stud directly on the rest could cause issues. That one case being when there is so little clearance between the base of the stud and the barrel that any pressure on the stud deflects the forearm enough for the base of the stud to touch the barrel. This won't happen in a well-floated barrel.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Metal god

The one thing I can think of is if you rest the stud on a block of wood or something hard with no give . When you use a bag or other rest the weight of the rifle is dispersed over a bigger area of the forearm . Maybe when the gun is resting on just the stud it can put to much pressure in a very small area of the forearm . I'm just throwing that out there , don't know if there is any fact to it . just a thought .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 5, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Mobuck

Anything that changes/affects the way the rifle moves during recoil will have an effect on accuracy.
Case in point; 6 years ago at an elk guide's place in Colorado, one hunter was having serious problems getting his scope dialed in. This was a 338 Win mag borrowed from his buddy and it was kicking the crap out of him. I watched him closely and he didn't seem to be flinching even though he was getting pounded. After about 1/2 box of ammo, I noticed the sling stud was contacting the edge of the metal rest on the shooting table on some of the shots. When I watched even closer, the shots where the stud hit the rest went about 3" higher on target. Resetting the front rest allowed him to put a good 3 shot group on the target that satisfied both him and the guide.
I used to have sandbags made from old shot bags and could only get good groups when the stud was well forward of the bags. I now use bags with a channel so the stud can't contact the bag.