The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 19, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
reap

Preparedness and bug out

After watching different threads for years of what people carry everyday and what is in their bug out bag/shtf pack... I would like to know where everyone plans to bug out too.

I for example, live out in the sticks in the Midwest and know that I wouldn't be going anywhere. I know others in the western U.S. are probably the same way. So just wondering for some of you guys in bigger cities and places, if you are bugging out... Where are you going?

Would I be having visitors out here in the woods?
Old February 19, 2014, 10:27 PM   #2
WardenWolf

One, this is a SHTF thread, which is rather of frowned upon. Two, you should never share this kind of information. It's a bad idea because you don't want tons of people showing up at your spot and fighting over your supplies.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:34 PM   #3
FireForged

I think he is speaking in general terms.. give him a break

To the OP:
Most people do not have the luxury of having a secondary home. Where I go will be dictated by the nature of the threat. Keep in mind, I have no plans to ever abandon my home unless it were clear that by remaining where I am, I would likely perish. Basically... leave a sinking ship when there is simply no other viable alternative. To where?... somewhere safer and hope that in 72 hours, I either make it to safety or that the crisis has passed. Its not all that deep. Basic survival consideration do not change much.

Last edited by FireForged; February 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:41 PM   #4
reap

Ok...

One... This is NOT a SHTF intended thread it is a "where do people really plan on going" thread because I don't know what/where is realistic for people to go to.

Two... as you can see by my location, I live in Illinois. Even in the worst case world failing situation, no one is going to come here. Anyone who stops here for too long will be taxed, required to get a FOID card AND then subjected to corrupt politicians who have already raided our rights so people wanting supplies will actually be welcome because they are more straight forward.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:43 PM   #5
reap

Thanks

Thank you FF... I appreciate you seeing what I was asking and giving me a decent reply.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:48 PM   #6
FireForged

No problem Bro.. its a reasonable question.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:17 AM   #7
reap

Ok

If this thread needs to be relocated or the question revised... Mods, please do so. I assumed tactics and training because I find myself wondering about the amount of gear I see people carry on EDC photos and wonder how they can stash it all. Unless you are wearing a utility belt, how easy is it to deploy all the items?

I wonder if people have a plan for everyone walking out of a city with a bag full of stuff? Do they think finding like minded and others with the same tactics and training is a plus or would they rather be on their own? So where/how do they plan on setting up?

Again, my apologies if this is in the wrong place or questions. I was just wondering and assumed I could post to gather opinions.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:32 AM   #8
kraigwy

I'm staying home.

The one exception is fires. A couple times (twice in the last 20 years) we had forest fires threatening this valley and were asked to evacuate. My place is actually pretty safe the way its laid out, but I left anyway because it makes it easier on the Fire fighters who don't have to worry about idiots like me.

I have a larger horse trailer with living quarters that I keep stocked for hunting and fishing anyway. They have the county fairgrounds set up for us refugees, electric hook ups for campers, corrals, feed and water for my horses. So we just ride it out.

Other then then that I see no reason to go anywhere. Worse thing other then the fires mentioned is heavy snows and power outages. I have two tractors with loaders and a snow plow for the tractors, plus I have a plow on my 4 Wheeler. I have two generators and tons of firewood. Water, food (both in the freezer/pantry and on the hoof). A 300 gal. fuel tank and propane (though I use wood heat). A (wood) heated shop so I can keep reloading. A window in my shop that over looks my range if I get too wimpy to go outside and shoot.

I can't think of anywhere that I would be better able to take care of my family and critters.

I just cant see any reason to bug out (except for the fires mentions).

I also don't believe in the SHTF BS, but I realize stuff happens as mother nature has a sense of humor.

For winter travel I keep heavy clothing and sleeping bags in the vehicles, plus Sat phones. In this country if you get out of town more then likely you don't have cell service. If my wife ends up in a snow berm, I'd rather she hunker down and call me then hike out trying to find a ranch house with a land line.

Unless I'm hunting I don't see a need for any firearms other then the revolver in my pocket.

Sorry if this don't meet the SHTF scenarios.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 20, 2014, 09:20 AM   #9
skizzums

depends on the scenario, if its true end of the world and half the population is gone already, then sure, id find a big arse house nearby with a tall brick fence and security gates, then gather what i can for awhile until prepared to get the family to the mountains where i know i can fish and hunt for meat and not have to worry too much about other occupants

but i would prefer to stay home and avoid any mass exodus of the cities effected by whatever scenario we are talking about, try to be prepared to be able to take care of yourself and family for at least a month(food/water) and if stability isnt re-instated by then, then who really knows?

one thing that i wished i had but dont, is an ATV
(i just survived the apocolypse of 2inches of snow in atlanta) so i am a veteren now
Old February 20, 2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

Not really our kind of discussion -- speculative and drifting in TEOTWAWKI territory.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread