The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 1, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
DavidAGO

My trip to the range cut short today

I had the afternoon off, or at least I had no projects I decided I absolutely had to work on this afternoon. I decided it was time to take the new AR-15 to the range. The instructions said to break it in by running a cleaning brush through the barrel after each of the first 25 shots, so I decided this hot afternoon would probably find me alone at the range.

It was so until after 11 of the 25 shots. Then a gentleman and (I assume) his two grandchildren came up with a .22 rifle and a couple of pistols. It was apparent he was going to show them how to shoot. They set up at the other end of the line. It was also apparent after a little bit that they had no ear protection. I asked if they did, the grandfather said no, they didn't need any, it was just a .22. I did not even have any of the foam ear protectors on me, so I had no ear protection to offer them. I just packed it up and came home, no need to leave those kids with their ears ringing for hours afterward.

I usually carry a few of the foam protectors with me; I have run into the same scenario before. I like to be a good range neighbor and to hopefully not let the lack of ear protection keep a youngster from shooting. It got me to thinking about what I do carry to the range with me, and I decided to make sure I carry some of the ear protectors and eye protection on future visits.

What do you do in such a situation? does anyone else carry extras in case you run across someone who is not knowledgeable enough to be prepared? Do you try and talk with them about proper range protection? Give them a lecture? Just quietly leave? This is a public (city owned) range without any on-site supervision.

David
Old September 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Grandpa Know-it-all would likely have declined them had you offered, and called you unkind names to his grandchildren for being a butt-insky. If discretion is the better part of valor, your leaving was a valorous act.
Old September 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3
g.willikers

Empty cartridge cases make pretty decent ear plugs.
No shortage of them at a range.
9mm fit my ears really well.
(For when mine somehow don't make it to the range).
Old September 1, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
spacecoast

Good call on your part, that grandfather should know better (even with a .22 rifle). Those kids are in for a big shock when they are around in the presence of centerfire ammo.
Old September 1, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Pahoo

There is always a way !!!

I always take extras but not many. I also take my Peltor shotgun muffs. ..

There have been time when I am stuck at a loud party or function of with a bunch of loud Blue-Hair ladies. My hearing is very good the noise cuts like a knife. I just cut strips of Kleenex, roll then up, wet then with my saliva and stick them in. Works great, in an emergency ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 1, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
SIGSHR

I carry spares. If an offer is refused with rudeness then leaving is probably the best option. I make a point of instructing new shooters, helping them out,if I am rebuffed, then a Pox On Them!
Old September 1, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Quadpod88

i don't usually carry extras, but now that you mention it, it is kinda unneighborly of me. i think in the future i will carry extras as well.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8
rotten mick

I have a old 6oz planters sunflower plastic jar full of the individual packs of foam plugs on a string. About 30 pairs in there. I keep it in my range bag whith all my tools and goodies I might need that could cut a trip to the range short.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:21 PM   #9
David13

The rule is eye and ear protection.
I carry extras. Or would solicit someone else to lend some.
And I would leave if there was a refusal.
What other rules does he think it is ok to break?
I would leave so as not to find out.
dc
Old September 1, 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
MLeake

I don't carry spares with the expectation of giving them to strangers, but since I buy foam plugs at Loew's in the hardware section they do come in a tennis ball cannister sized container, in bulk.

I keep one of those cannisters in my range bag.

So, given that scenario, I would offer plugs, but leave if they were refused.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:49 PM   #11
dakota.potts

At my range, eyes and ears are part of the rules. We're a private range with no day shooting.

I would have found range staff and explained to them the situation. I'd have spent the 50 cents each to buy them a pair of ear plugs, but if they refused would have asked that the rules of the range be enforced.

I'm not going to lose an opportunity to shoot (since they can be rare) and I'm not going to shoot a centerfire (or likely even a .22) next to somebody without hearing protection. So the only option is to ask my range staff and owners to enforce the rules, in my opinion.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Slamfire

Quote:
asked if they did, the grandfather said no, they didn't need any, it was just a .22. I
You were smarter, did the right thing, and Grandfather was a stoop for taking his grand kids to a range without hearing protection.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Slotback

After reading this, I am going to start carrying extras with me.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Jen-from-IL

My trip to the range cut short today

It's unfortunate that the grandfather is threatening his grandchildrens' hearing. I'm guessing he has some hearing loss hat he won't admit is due to shooting 'only 22s' with no ear protection. Bad habits starting early will be difficult to change later.

I think you did the right thing in your interaction with him. You offered, he declined. I would have then gone to the range staff and explained the situation. Its too bad that you felt you needed to leave in order to protect those kids though.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #15
MLeake

Jen, the OP said there was no staff.

I have encountered this at several state or municipal ranges. (The lack of staff, I mean.)

At such places, when others behave improperly, leaving is often the only reasonable, immediate option.
Old September 2, 2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Revoltella

I'd have left too.

Unless I had some to offer and Grandpa was a jerk about it. Then I'd leave after firing a couple more rounds.
Old September 2, 2013, 09:58 AM   #17
buck460XVR

I always have extra foam ear plugs in my range bag. I buy 'em in bulk pacs of 50. Have had too many occasions like in the opening post, either with friends or relatives that show up wanting to shoot, strangers that come to the range unprepared or because folks just plain forgot. I have yet to ever have anyone refuse them. Especially when the big bores come out. Many times folks will show up with rimfires or their hunting rifles expecting to only shoot a few rounds and feel ear protection is not needed. If they are adults and are only hurting themselves is one thing. To walk away and let young children be exposed to permanent hearing loss is another, and is just as irresponsible as watching them handle firearms unsafely. If one does not have ear protection to offer, they still should say something.
Old September 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Pahoo

Sharing is common !!!

Quote:
I don't carry spares with the expectation of giving them to strangers
I too never expect to share but there aren't too many range-trips, that I don't. I have also share ammo with strangers and shot their guns as well. There is always a sharing going on. Heck, there have been times when I even start conducting a mini M/L class. My SideLocks get a lot of attention and before you know it, strangers are loading and shooting. I love to hook them !!

I too am encouraged to take more ear-plugs. If they decline, it's their problem. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 2, 2013, 10:27 AM   #19
g.willikers

No need to run away.
One unintended benefit from the ammo shortage and high prices is that most folks don't stay at the range very long.
When someone objectionable shows up, I just take a break and wait for them to run out of ammo.
It usually doesn't take long, these days.
Old September 2, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20
buck460XVR

Quote:
I don't carry spares with the expectation of giving them to strangers

I do. Just as I have extra free printable targets in my range bag and extra duct tape and/or a stapler. Too many times I been at the range when a dad or grandpa shows up with a boys new .22 and all they have for a target is a empty soda can.....or a fellow hunter's scope is farther out of whack than they thought. A very cheap and effective way to promote safety and fun to our sport. I have also helped new hunters dress their first deer and helped lost hunters find their way back to their vehicle. Just a way to pay it forward in our sport and to promote a positive image. What goes around comes around. Makes much more sense than rippin' a few more shots off, and endangering the hearing of some youngsters new to the sport and naive to what's needed to safely shoot. While it's easy to be critical of others, it's almost as easy to help others with less experience and knowledge to learn correctly. If they are not open to help, or you approach the situation with an attitude, then so be it. Move on. But at least you know you tried and the damage to some kids ears is not partly your fault.
Old September 2, 2013, 11:16 AM   #21
g.willikers

You're a nice fellow.
I do that, too.
Share targets, stapler, whatever I have to spare, if needed and wanted.
Sometimes gun and ammo.
Old September 2, 2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Nathan

I've been there before. I've even offered ear and eye protection. Some people just don't get it. I've offered foam plugs, showed them how to use them and still had then not protected.

This is where it would be nice if there were clear range rules posted and someone to enforce them would be nice, but that isn't enough often. The good but unfortunate thing is with the wrong gear, people don't shoot enough to hurt themselves usually.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:19 PM   #23
jhenry

This has happened to me several times. I carry extra foam plugs and offer them as needed. If it were kids I would also just leave. There are folks out there with no sense.

On one memorable occasion I was at the local range sighting in two pistols when some dufus showed up with his girlfriend and a Ruger 10/22. No eye or ear protection at all. I offered plugs and a set of shooting glasses. The man sort of sneared and told me he never uses ear plugs. At that point he became a dufus and a butthead. He went down to set up a target without even checking for range clear. OK. I took out the Mosin M38 carbine and some really nasty Romanian ammo and while the guy was getting all ready to shoot the Ruger, I loaded up and kind of stepped back just enough to get the muzzle under the tin roof. I shot five times and waited for the guy to shoot. He shot exactly ONE shot, peered at the target and left. Gone.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:30 PM   #24
Hiker 1

The man sort of sneered and told me he never uses ear plugs.

I encountered that exact situation with my wife's know-it-all uncle prior to an afternoon of .45, .38, .22, 7.62x39 and 12 gauge. That little excursion left him with permanent tinnitis, I kid you not.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #25
MattShlock

I put napkin-paper in my ears when I'm out and there's a band that's surprisingly too load. Toilet paper?

I would have asked him to do SOMETHING, put some distance between you for what it's worth, and stayed.

Problem. Solution. Darwin.
Closed Thread