The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Cool_Hand

What to look for in the walther ppk

My local gun shop has a bunch of used walther ppk and ppk/s pistols and I was thinking of picking one up. Just wondering what to look out for, I remember reading about recalls at some point. Also any advantage over Interarms and Smith and Wesson? Thanks.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Mosin44az

Are you in Arizona? I am looking for one of those.

There is a nice thread started by Zebulon in August 2008 on these. Dfariswheel gave a very lengthy and useful breakdown on the various PPKs in that thread. A Search should find this.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Stiofan

If you can find a german made PPK/s (it will be stamped Interarms, made in Ulm, West Germany) snag it. I don't know much about the quality of the others, but the german model is top notch. Also valued about $900 or so now.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:36 AM   #4
IMightBeWrong

Mosin44az,

Cabelas off of Glendale Avenue by the Stadium often has them. That's where I got my PPK/s. While I was there, they also had both blued and stainles models used. I remember seeing a fairly large number of them. This was in September.
Old November 23, 2010, 01:15 AM   #5
testuser

Sure, if it's a used S&W PPK, then the recalled models will have a dimple inside the tang opposite the hammer. Just check the Walther website for the serial number range.

Mine is a S&W made PPK .380 and quite reliable. My practice load is actually a 95 grain Montana Gold HP. It's never failed to feed those. It will also feeds 90 grain hyrdoshocks with no problems.

The only issue I've had has been brass flying long distances. No problems, heavier mainspring installed. The other problem came from firing Remington primers. They are so hard that I'll get failures to fire even with a heavier hammer spring. CCI Blazer and Federal have never been a problem.

Recoil is extremely low and accuracy is surprisingly good.
Old November 23, 2010, 02:04 AM   #6
Zebulon

This may help you.....It 's the post Mosin44az referred to.......

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306703
Old November 23, 2010, 05:20 AM   #7
pythagorean

SW Houlton Walther (PPK/S) in .32: (a recalled serial number but it works fine):

Manurhin (French) Walther in .32:

I've had .22s and .380s and other .32s as well from Zella Mellis (Thuringen, Germany) and Ulm, Germany.

My take is get it in the original chambering, .32 Auto, for reliability and ease of operation. The .380 cartridge is a slice too big for the PP series and was really just an afterthought.

They are trim packages easily used for personal protection. They are quite popular and well liked by those who have been hooked on them like me. They are also quite accurate despite their small size.

I weaned down my handguns to 10 for various reasons and the Walther (in any form) is no longer in my collection. I was able to do this because I have a 1966 Colt Cobra in .32 that could fill that gap. The Cobra is lighter, more easily used in an ankle carry (or other), and a revolver instead of an automatic.

Old November 23, 2010, 05:22 AM   #8
sonnycrockett

I cant believe James Bond only had a 380.........pvssy
Old November 23, 2010, 05:29 AM   #9
pythagorean

Quote:
I cant believe James Bond only had a 380.........pvssy
Naw it was .32 and it was said in one of the Bond series to go through something "like a brick through a window" which was just Hollywood hype.
Old November 23, 2010, 02:19 PM   #10
BarryLee

Actually I seem to remember in one of the Bond movies they tried to force Bond (Sean Connery) to upgrade from the .32 PPK to a .380 version and he resisted even trying to swipe the .32 back. Not sure which film it was does anyone remember?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 23, 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Bond was forced by M at the recommendation of Q to drop the .25 Beretta he favored and switch to the Walther .32ACP.

But & anyway- German & French Walther PPK & PPK/S pistols will be the best bet.
Many German marked Walthers post-war were actually made by the French.

When Interarms began doing their American pistols, the stainless ones had a spotty reputation for reliability.

The first S&W ones had numerous sharp corners, crackable plastic grips, and had to be recalled. S&W had modified the internals slightly from the standard Walther design.

Many S&Ws are good guns, may need a little attention.

I have a German PP in .32 from the 60s, works perfectly.
I have an early Smith PPK/S in .380 that had to be worked on a bit, still mildly ammo sensitive.
I spent some time with a Smith PPK, can't recall any outstanding reliability issues, did have sharp corners.
The German & French Walthers did not.

Denis