The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 24, 2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Wrothgar

Belly Bands in the Texas Heat?

I just took my CHL class and now I'm considering my carry options. An IWB holster seems like it would be terribly uncomfortable to wear while sitting down, which I do at work. Same for small of the back. A belly band seems perfect, but its REALLY hot down here and this seems as though it would just be another layer of clothing. Thoughts?
Old August 24, 2009, 06:52 AM   #2
hoytinak

Never tried the belly bands but I've found that pocket carry works best for me in the Texas summer. IWB can be done comfortably with the right gun/holster/belt combo.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
eppler

The most comfortable holster I have used is made by elite. I put it at my side tilted a little bit forward. It is also the cheapest holster I have.

http://www.elitesurvival.com/index.p...id=28&parent=1

Can be used left or right handed so removed the clip holder on the side that sits against me and is even more comfortable

Last edited by eppler; August 24, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old August 24, 2009, 01:29 PM   #4
snipecatcher

I use either a Don Hume pocket holster or a Galco IWB holster, in the front (12 o' clock position) of my pants. Seems like it would be uncomfortable, but it's the most discreet way of carrying my S&W airweight and the only comfortable way to sit down for an extended period.
-Dan
Old August 24, 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
dwwhite

I've tried a belly band and wasn't impressed. It was constricting, itchy, hot and sweaty. Note that I'm a skinny guy, and I always wore it over a cotton undershirt, I can't imagine if you were to wear it against bare skin. Maybe it's okay for some 60-70 degree days, but with temps over 100, it just won't fly.

I also found that when you sit, your waist tends to expand a little, or a lot in some instances, especially just above your belt, which was my preferred location for the belly band. This just made the previously mentioned issues worse. I eventually went to a small yaqui slide iwb holster with a heavy belt for carry with my shirt untucked, or I carry a j-frame in my boot if I'm dressed up some. (with a holster of course)
Old August 24, 2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Wrothgar

Pocket holster COULD cut it - do they make one big enough for an XD 40-SC?
Old August 26, 2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Wrothgar

I'm thinking shoulder rig - I almost always wear a button up shirt I could put over it. I never tuck my shirt in either.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:58 PM   #8
iburnpowdah

belly bands work!

i think if you try a belly band and experimant with placement on your torso you will be very happy regardless of size of your handgun. I have one made by a company called 'Gould & Goodrich ' i believe. It's made of a synthetic material sililar to spandex and it seens to work well with just about anything from a Seecamp up to an autoloader the size of a Sig 230/232. Also, S&W J Frames fit rather well.

Depending on how loose you wear your shirts, the grip shape and material of the gun will have a bearing on how the shirt fall over your stomach. Hope that helps!