The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
War_Eagle

Combat V.S. Target Trigger

Those of you that have a S&W K-frame or other S&W revolver, which do you prefer, The smooth style trigger or the serrated style? Also is there a good link to someone that sells triggers, hammers and other S&W parts?
Old May 8, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Creature

I have a S&W M36 with a serrated trigger and a Colt Detective with a smooth trigger. I actually prefer the smooth trigger.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Slopemeno

For DA shooting the smooth trigger is usually better, though some still prefer the serrations.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Scorch

Definitely a smooth trigger. When I go shooting, I shoot a bunch, and my finger can't take a whole day of a serrated trigger.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Slopemeno

From what I understand, Jerry Miculek uses a serrated trigger, but I can't stand 'em, myself. I feel it causes my front sight to bob around more.

What was the slickest (IMHO) back when I was 'smithing was to use a wide serrated trigger, take the serrations off, and shape the trigger into what we called a "diamond shape", which meant reducing the width at the top and bottom of the trigger, breaking every sharp edge, and putting a mirror polish on it. That was a really nice setup for DA shooting.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
I polish off serrations on all of my carry guns. Its one of the few modifications that I think is easy to defend should the guns ever have to be used.
The serrated target trigger on my 17-4 is not bad. I think its easier on the fingers, the wider the trigger. But on narrow trigger, I can't stand serrations.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:43 PM   #7
dpsix

More troubling for me than the serrations are the top and bottom outside front edges of the trigger. These high points cut into my trigger finger in DA shooting. I polish them to a rounder profile in stainless guns.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
AintPretty

I recently bought a 70's era S&W Model 10-5 that has a "bolt-on" serrated trigger cover that is wide with serrations in the middle and deeply recessed and smooth on the right side. It makes a very comfortable trigger and seems to smooth out the DA action. It has two allen set screws on the left side (it's obviously designed for a right handed shooter) to clamp it on to the original trigger. Does anyone know what this device is called? I'd like to get more for my other guns.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Slopemeno

It's called a "trigger shoe" and please take some friendly advice: get rid of it.

They stick out beyond the confines of the exisisting trigger guard, and have been known to cause accidental discharges upon holstering. You'll never see someone who knows what they're doing with a trigger shoe on a serious social gun.